NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

FLIR RS64-35mm on my kick arse Ruger #1 master sniper blaster, there is absolutely nothing anywhere near my backyard that can survive on handloaded 7mm Rem Mag!

HOGS N' DOGS BE GONE!

RS64%20Ruger.jpg

RS64%20Ruger%20Close.jpg

Originally Posted By: yzsuperleeThese RS series scopes are seriously cool. And other than maybe ease of use, it seems a person gets more per dollar spent than with the PS or LS series handhelds. Has anyone used thermal to hunt/detect treed coons? Guess in theory if a person can detect with lights, thermal should work pretty well too. Would the RS32 with a 35mm lens detect something the size of a softball at 300-400 yards? I'm still trying to justify me owning one of these. takin my ps32 several times coon hunting. No hiders now. First time I walked up to a tree, dad started to get the light ready. I said he's sittin right there, he looked at dumb founded. Easy pickins now. I've also spotted multiple coon in other trees also. Try that with a spotlight with out being there half the night. Kinda gave up coon hunting, hound is getting old, coyotes kept comin in aggervating him while he was on a tree or track so he's retired now layin around the shop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyPupFLIR RS64-35mm on my kick arse Ruger #1 master sniper blaster, there is absolutely nothing anywhere near my backyard that can survive on handloaded 7mm Rem Mag!

HOGS N' DOGS BE GONE!

RS64%20Ruger.jpg

RS64%20Ruger%20Close.jpg

OUCH on my shoulder!

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: SkyPupFLIR RS64-35mm on my kick arse Ruger #1 master sniper blaster, there is absolutely nothing anywhere near my backyard that can survive on handloaded 7mm Rem Mag!

HOGS N' DOGS BE GONE!

RS64%20Ruger.jpg

RS64%20Ruger%20Close.jpg

OUCH on my shoulder!

I take it that the NEW RS series from FLIR can withstand a heck of a recoil!
I will stick to my .243 And AR 15:)

Don't try this at home with your new RS, currently they are ONLY rated up to and including 7.62X51mm in gas operated modern sporting arms, so a 7mm Mag is NOT kosher.

However, they are still in the process of recoil testing the RS devices and future recoil information should become available.

If, however, you DO desire to withstand massive recoil, every FLIR GS thermal scope (T-50, T-60, T-70 and T-75) is rated up to and including Browning M2 .50 call full automatic machine gun.

I ordered a RS32 2.25-9X the end of last month. It is supposed to ship on 3-17. I bought it to hunt hogs at night and plan to mount it on a RRA LAR-8 Elite Operator.

I have a couple of rather basic questions:

Do you zero the RS line in the same way you "one shot zero" a digital NV scope? IOW, you aim at a target, fire a round, mark the POI, then move the reticle to the POI while holding on the original POA?

I have heard that AL foil will also work as a target to zero a thermal. I guess I don't understand why AL would be at a different temperature than the surroundings, but if it works it would be an easy alternative to using heated targets.

This is important to me because I fly on hunting trips. I plan on taking the thermal off the rifle and carrying it on, then remounting and sighting in when I get where I'm going. So ease of sighting in and reliable RTZ are important to me. A stolen rifle would be bad enough. A stolen rifle with a thermal sight mounted would ruin a whole trip!

Also, does anyone have a link to a high quality mini DVR that works well with the RS line? Filming through a thermal scope looks like a lot of fun. Anybody care to offer up an easy plug n play option for me?

Thanks in advance. I've learned a lot from you folks.

You zero with the crosshairs on the target, I use handwarmers, then you continue to zero on the target and move the reticule in to move the POI onto the bullseys, I previously posted in this thread the reticule coordinates for each different RS scope, ie how many MOA the POI is moved when adjusting the internal digital reticule. Once you have the reticule adjusted, you can write down the coordinates and save them in case you ever use it on another rifle and want to move it back, you just enter the correct coordinates for your rifle again.

I have three of these that I use and they are the only waterproof ones that I know of.

In addition the On-Off and Record switches are super simple to operate via tactile touch in the dark, the screen also dims too, it records in 720X480 30fps NTSC and uses a SDHC card for saving the video.

http://www.x20.org/waterproof-dvr-micro-digital-video-recorder

I have four other mini DVRs from LawMate, RageCams, and another off brand and the SPI one is the easiest to use in the dark and takes plenty of abuse in the swamps. i've used them on FLIR T-50, T-60, T-70, RS64-35, and M-18, all work excellent.

If you call them you most likely can get a better price than just ordering online.

There are lots of portable DVRs out there and I have had the best function with this one, I am sure others will chime in on their experience too:

T70%20DVR.jpg

All you do is connect the RCA adapter from the FLIR RS USB video output to the RCA input on the DVR.

You end up with a Microsoft uncompressed AVI file.

Alright, now that you boys have tried these out in the field, maybe somebody can answer my question with certain authority: If my needs are to scan (not identify, just scan, find, and tell men from beasts) at ~600 yards, shoot at ~300 yards, which one should I spring for if money is no objection.

RS32 60mm lens

or

RS64 35mm lens

* Range is UP TO 600 yards, could be 60 yards just as well as 600, so not long range exclusive.

Gents, I understand the tradeoff of fov and range, so please just tell me YOUR preference now that you have tried these and shot a few hogs with them at range.

Much appreciated, guys.

To actually take shots at 300 yards, which I don't, you would require either the RS64-60 or RS32-60 models.

However for less than 100-150 yards they would not be very good due to tiny FOV at that range.

For long range only, get a 60mm lens unit, if money is no object and you cannot stalk any closer than 300 yards at night you will need it.

The RS64-35mm will certainly detect out 600 yards but it will not shoot out 300 yards accurately due to the magnification you would need to make a shot, it takes up to 6X without pixelation but over that becomes pixelated.

The RS64-60mm will have twice the FOV of the RS32-60mm unit and they both will tell a human from a pig at 600 yards.

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCWe love the new hard cases the RS units are shipping in!

1964956_463062427154592_703393479_n_zps28339df1.jpg

Those FLIR cases are real nice, like a Pelican case..

Just some representative pics through the FLIR RS64-35mm of some deer hanging around my game cam tree at 175 yards in the dark on a nice night, the forest canopy is @ 225 yards and you can easily see into the tree canopy out 300 yards plus.

The FOV and resolution are very similar to my expensive FLIR GS T-70 Thermal Clip-Ons...

I'll post some video tomorrow when I get a chance.

RS64%2035%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

RS64%2035%202X%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

RS64%2035%204X%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

RS64%2035%208X%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

Here is a You-Tube video of the FLIR RS64-35mm thermal weapon scope of some deer out back of the house, my game cam tree they are standing around is a laser measured 175 yards distant, the beginning of the slash pine tree canopy behind that is 225 yards and you can see out into the canopy 300 or so yards clearly. The deer are from 175 to 225 yards in the video.

Pitch black dark out, 50*F, no fog or rain.

You can run the video on 720 pixels as that is what it is recorded at for better clarity and representation of what you actually see though the scope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m3rnZg0wcE&feature=youtu.be

This is my favorite combination for the kind of hunting that we do at night, a 640 core with a 35mm lens, everything out 225 yards is toast with a precise shot placement.

The 320 core and 35mm lens will get the same job done with 1/2 the FOV and a little more blur but still work real well.

The FOV with that 640 is what is killer, at 1X the FOV at 200 yards distance is almost 100 yards, at 2X it is 50 yards, at 4X it is 25 yards, and at 8X it is still about 10 yards.

With a 320 core and a 35mm lens you will get 1/2 this FOV and a little more blur but will still perform pretty good at this range.

Here is a representative video of the FLIR RS64-35mm thermal system at 125 yards of looking at a possum hanging around some dead hog offal adjacent to the alligator pond in my backyard, the game cam tree is 175 yards out and the slash pine tree canopy is 225 yards out.

WARNING: No possum was injured during the filming of this thermal video.

Again, you can run the video in 720 HD full screen to get an idea of the thermal performance of this system...

Originally Posted By: Gman757
Skypup.....if you get a chance maybe run through the reticle choices available in the RS unit in a future video???

10-4, currently there are 4 of them and more are going to be available in future updates....I live the German reticule for running hogs, but the other cross-hair type ones are more accurate for precision.

Video of 200 pound hog dropping dead @ 175 yards with SIG 556 with FLIR RS64-35mm thermal weapon scope using IMI Razor NATO 77grain Sierra MatchKing ammo:

Back