Bead blasting a stainless barrel?

Dog_Thumper

So I recently upgrades my Rock River upper from the 16" Chrome Lined, Operator Barrel to a 18" Stainless barrel. After I got it, I started wondering about the glare on it. How hard is it or what kind of process goes into bead blasting a barrel to give it that duller look?

DT,
I reckon it's about like sandblasting, but they use little ceramic beads as the media.
I haven't had anything done in a while, but it's usually pretty reasonably priced and looks great.

A few years ago I had a rifle bead blasted and then blued, and it made one of the nicest finishes I've seen.

Last edited:
Kampfeld customs did a barrel for me a few years back for around $60 if I remember. The gun was a stainless 17 rem 700 that a poster on here had cericoated black. The thing looked better than new when done. I just sold it a few months back and had it listed in the classifieds here if you want to take a look. Beautiful dull satin finish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FurhunterI use glass bead in my blast cabinet, it leaves a really nice soft finish.

Glass beads work very well.

Jason

I used to bead blast a tons of FAL barrels, parts etc years ago when I was building those. It's much easier when you don't have to removed and old finish, rust, etc.
I have done a couple stainless barrels with both glass beads and sand. Sand is alot more abrasive so you have to be more careful. if you have a decent sized air compressor you can get the blast gun from home depot. You done need a blasting cabinet but it will get everywhere. I have also done a couple stainless barrels by hand using very very fine grit 3M flexible sanding pads and liberal amounts of gun oil. It's not quite as nice looking as bead blasting but it looks pretty good and does take the shine down noticeably.

You might consider some type of cover, camo wrap or something.
I sometimes put a piece of black foam over the end of my 20"...forget exactly where I found it and you all would laugh if I told you where I think it come from.

I just use 220 grit Silicone Carbide. I have blasted probably 10-12 barrels with zero issues. I do tape up the important stuff though.

Originally Posted By: fw707
A few years ago I had a rifle bead blasted and then blued, and it made one of the nicest finishes I've seen.

So even though at the moment, I am not looking to sell it, would bead blasting my stainless barrel hurt the resale at all? Making it like a blued barrel?

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorKampfeld customs did a barrel for me a few years back for around $60 if I remember. The gun was a stainless 17 rem 700 that a poster on here had cericoated black. The thing looked better than new when done. I just sold it a few months back and had it listed in the classifieds here if you want to take a look. Beautiful dull satin finish.

Can you PM or send me the link DUltPred?

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/index_009.htm
11988023065_813aef3c2d_o.jpg

This was the 700 rem in 17 rem I had done that I sold to buy my POF
11988319903_9bf0027164_o.jpg
11988409104_c097071ce0_o.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dog_Thumper
So even though at the moment, I am not looking to sell it, would bead blasting my stainless barrel hurt the resale at all? Making it like a blued barrel?

Not in my opinion. If it is done correctly, bead blast leaves a nice satin finish and your barrel of course maintains its stainless properties. Not like blued in any way, really.

I guess I'm lucky to work in a machine shop, as I can bead blast anything I want to for free after I get off work! I did a stainless barrel for my uncles 700 a few months back. Turned out quit nice!

Originally Posted By: Smokin250So, is this as easy as it sounds? If you have a finished gun can you tape up action and end of barrel and bead blast it?

Yep just go slow but make sure you wear a mask, goggles, and long rubber gloves. The blast media stings pretty good when it bounces off the steel.

The bead blast is the way to go on any stainless barrels for a hunting rig IMO. Many factory guns are coming with a satin finish on stainless, which I believe is just blasted. I have had two bolt guns done now, and I added that as an option when I bought my Predator Pursuit upper. I have seen it advertised as low as $40 for just a barrel.

The gunsmith that does my work disassembled everything including individual parts of the bolt (on a ruger), anywhere media could end up, so I would think if doing a barrel on an upper you would want to remove the handguard and gas block, and mask receiver off well.

Last edited:
You can get a bead blasting gun with a small hopper on it to hold the glass beads and a small bottle of glass beads at Harbor freight for about 30 to 40 bucks and do it your self. You just can't capture and reuse the blast media but so what, it won't take that much to do a barrel. Make sure you plug the ends to keep from blasting the inside of barrel or chamber.

Moto- Thanks! I love harbor freight. I checked into it. You can get the gun for $20. The glass bead media comes in 50&25 lb bags. Having never done this before, would the 25 be plenty?

Is there anything that yall can think would be a good comparison to "practice" on before getting my $$$ barrel out?

Originally Posted By: Dog_ThumperMoto- Thanks! I love harbor freight. I checked into it. You can get the gun for $20. The glass bead media comes in 50&25 lb bags. Having never done this before, would the 25 be plenty?

Is there anything that yall can think would be a good comparison to "practice" on before getting my $$$ barrel out?

I would be surprised if your went through more than a 2-3 lbs. Any piece of scrap steel will work for practice.

I agree you won't go through 25lbs, maybe 5? I did a motorcycle restore and cleaned up all the stuff I was going to paint and still have more than 1/2 of a 25lb jug left over. My RRA upper is in today and i think I'm going to do the same thing as you are. I didn't order it bead blasted from them so as to not hold up the order. going to look at it first and see. Have fun

Back