Hog dog?

KillerBear

Well I already have a few hunting dogs. I also have a basically 150 pound lap dog and I also have many domestic pigs that keep getting out! (Getting really tired of lassoing a couple of hogs a week) I would like to know how you would maybe teach one to bay the lose hogs up so I can catch them?? (Also I'm surrounded by woods the pigs that get out aren't harming anything)

It would in the long run sense I have lots of cow, pig , deer…..for them to eat and I have the dog just need to know how to train em???

i would say turn your huntign dogs out with the pigs and see if they will bay. if not, you going to have a real hard time trying to teach them to do it. most either do it or they dont.

you say you have hunting dogs, so put them in with the hogs and see how they do.

my dog are a little/lot scared of them so the didn't do anything…. but I have a dog thats brave enough just need to know how to teach to bay them and the reason I doing this is because for one hogs are escape artists and for two hogs will probably be in my area in another year or two….. Could you just tell me how you would train your dogs I have a 150 pound dog and a 60 pound pig?????

It really isn't something you can train or force a dog to do. Either they have it or not.

There are a ton of ways to ruin a dog that has "it" but very few ways to put something in them that they are not born with.

If you have adult dogs put them in a pen with a young hog and see. My guess is that if they have not lit up yet they may be conditioned to "accept" your hogs. My dogs don't give hogs a second look unless I say "get em". Wild game is a different story.

We raise hogs and the only thing they will respect is a burried deep fence with a HOT wire a foot off the ground. Our hogs are very social. We bribe them from day one with food and give them a lot of interaction. It makes them somewhat dealable. We turn them out to pasture in the morning and then call them in at dusk to a pen and hog house.

Lot of work but I have a good wife who likes dealing with stock and animals.

Tim

If your dogs had it in them YOU WOULD KNOW IT. My Jagdterriers want to kill everything that moves from 6 weeks old. I have to break them from Horses and Cattle etc. If your dogs are scared of the pigs, that answers your question. There really is not a lot of "Training" that goes into a Hog Dog. You put it on pigs and the dog does the rest.

Originally Posted By: KillerBearmy dog are a little/lot scared of them so the didn't do anything…. I have a 150 pound dog and a 60 pound pig?????

If your 150 pound dog had it in him, he would have killed your 60 pound pig already. My dogs are 18 pounds and they would kill your 60 pound pig. Not joking.

Last edited:
Dress up like a dog and crawl around on all 4's barking and baying. Make sure to let your dog sniff your butt so he knows you guys are on the same team. He should pick it up in no time.

We own hog dogs. There is no training them. The best thing to do is put them with a dog who does know how to bay hogs and they usually fall right in. I am curious how you plan on catching them after they are bayed up since you said you were tired of roping them? Our dogs would defiantly try to kill a 60# pig so I'm not sure you want a true hog dog. Not trying to be a smart @$$ but it almost seems like you need a herding dog. As far as wanting some hog dogs because you think hogs will soon be in your area make sure and check your regs. I know TN changed up how you can hunt hogs with dogs. BTW what do you use your other hunting dogs for? Some breeds of dogs should just naturally have it in them to want to bay.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Back