Current Varmint Round

Oh and thanks for opening a big can of worms! OAL gauges, bullet comparators, neck and shoulder length measurements, etc. The deep end is on the horizon and I'm teetering. Brain hurts after reading through this post on the firing line. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497191 I'm using fire formed cases so I think I'm on the easier track but may just send in a case to Hornady for a custom case gauge. However I'm not shooting match and I'm not entirely sure the coyotes will care if my bullet is off a 1/4" when it's hitting them at 3000ft/s+.

Last edited:
Picked up a bullet comparator and COL gauge both Hornady. Read through everything and I have a feeling my rounds are going to become more accurate as time goes on. Currently the rounds most recently loaded are all within the tolerances provided in the instructions for each product. Thanks again for the heads up about these two items.

Quote:Oh and thanks for opening a big can of worms! OAL gauges, bullet comparators, neck and shoulder length measurements, etc. The deep end is on the horizon and I'm teetering. Brain hurts after reading through this post on the firing line....Welcome to the "Anal Aspects" of the reloading game...
thumbup1.gif
...Just be sure to keep detailed records on your efforts for future endeavors when you find that your load accuracy is going South due to weather changes, elevation changes, dirty barrel, or just a bad day behind the trigger...Been there, Done that, Have the T-Shirt, so you will just be experiencing the 're runs'...

That being said, I have the length of each chamber of my rifles, the best seating depth of each, and the best quality of dies that I can afford and still get a 'blooper' once in awhile, but now it no longer bothers me very much...
tongue_smilie.gif
...they prescribed some meds that seem to be working pretty well...
tt2.gif

I really just wanted to get uniform coal measurements but after reading about how the case length gauge worked it made sense to get that along with the comparator to really drive home conformity. My wife has told me many times throughout the years I go to the extreme so I figured why not proceed with my reloading adventures as well. I think I may spend the money and send a fire formed cartridge into Hornady for prosperity.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleJoshua,,Look into the Ramshot X-Terminator and TAC line...When W-748 was hard to find locally, I picked up those two and found them to be slightly less expensive, burned slightly cleaner, and the X-Terminator has a slightly faster burn rate than the W-748, while the TAC is slightly slower, but great for the heavier bullet weights... The 50gr will work well with either...The both meter like water compared to many others...
+1. I only use ramshot in 223's and 204's because of the way it meters and accuracy/velocity and burns clean

Back