Mossberg Predator MVP Problem

Billy539

I was wondering if other MVP owners were experiencing the same problem I am having with mine. If you accidently bump the magazine one way and then accidently bump the magazine another way the mag just drops out of the firearm.

I have no problem with the way it shoots it is a tack driver out to 200 yards, farthest my local range goes, but having to rent a medal detector to find your magazine in the snow just sucks. I have found it will drop the mag with what ever magazine you are using the stock one Magpul's even metal mags.

I'm not familiar with the system Mossberg uses. But I'd suspect the bolt catch isn't fully seating.

In an AR, I slide the mag in, slap the bottom a couple of times, then pull down. Just be sure you are completely seating the mag. There can be a mag that seems fully inserted, but it's not completely locked in. If you haven't yet tried this procedure for mag seating, give it a whirl and report back.

I hope this helps you.

yup do the same thing with my AR. but when you pull on the mag on the MVP it will shift one way or the other. and once it moves a little and goes back it completely falls out

Mine shoots great, but refuses to strip the next round from the mag everytime. I have to rock the mag to the rear every time. Haven't tinkered with it yet though.

Send it in, if it wont work right it should be their issue.

I have to be a jerk at this point though. The pd i was with started buying mossy to replace our aging 870. As little as they were used they had a dissproportionate number of issues. It turned me off the brand entirely. I played with an atr a couple times, really turned me off. The mvp looks nice but id only get one if it was really cheap and planned on making some money with if at auction.

Quote:Mine shoots great, but refuses to strip the next round from the mag everytime. I have to rock the mag to the rear every time. Haven't tinkered with it yet though

Come to think of it I had an issue with that at the range as well a couple of times. I hate to see this thing have problems because mine is very accurate. I called Mossberg and they told me to send it in and they would have it back to me in 6 to 8 weeks. We will see how their customer service is I guess.

I haven't had any problems with mine either,but 6-8 week turnaround sucks I don't understand why manufacturers think 6-8 weeks is OK for warranty repairs when you just paid 500 bucks for a rifle and now you lose it for 2 months during hunting season, that's bad customer service already IMHO

Quote: I haven't had any problems with mine either,but 6-8 week turnaround sucks I don't understand why manufacturers think 6-8 weeks is OK for warranty repairs when you just paid 500 bucks for a rifle and now you lose it for 2 months during hunting season, that's bad customer service already IMHO

Just an update on this matter. Instead of taking the rifle in I sat down on my bench and gave it a good once over. What I found out the gunky red stuff that covers a lot of the parts was lumped in behind the magazine release. I spent some time and cleaned it up real good gave it a good coat of lube and bam problem solved. I personally could not bear to send it in and wait that long. Now for the next problem finding more time to get into the field.

This is an excellent example of why you should ALWAYS do a thorough cleaning and re-lubing of a new firearm before heading to the range. Machine oil and preservative oils used by the manufacturers are not what I would recommend for lubing a gun. Additionally, you can and will find gunk, metal shavings, paper, styrofoam, etc. from the manufacturing and packing processes. Clean the machine oil out of the wood stock, too. That stuff stains and rots wood. Stick with a good quality synthetic gun oil and enjoy many years of gunk free shooting.

Back