Downloading a 22-250?

Scalloper

I do alot of calling for coyotes and hunting over bait in the winter. I often have oppertunities to shoot fox and cats. The 22-250 does a great job on coyotes and is fur friendly with 50gr Superformance with no exit hole most times. But not so true with fox and cats.So I have been passing up $$ the past several winters. I ask a oldtime buddie of mine that has been reloading for 70 years about loading some low velocity loads for my 22-250. Something along the lines of a 22 Hornet velocity. My thought was that if given the oppertunity I could slip in a lower velocity load and harvest the cat/fox. I have some 22 hornet 45 gr bullets. I ask him if I find a 22 hornet load that uses X amount of powder could I use that same load data in my 22-250 casing. He said I could as long as it was not a slow burning powder because some slower burning powders when loaded light can cause the pressure to spike. Any other thoughts? Thanks

not sure you could get down to 22 hornet velocities, but maybe.

unless you are shooting great distances, why not go the other route and use a hornet to begin with? or a 17 rem?

BULLET WEIGHT55 GR. SPR SP
ManufacturerIMR
PowderTrail Boss
Bullet Diameter.224"
C.O.L.2.350"
Starting Load
Grains9.1
Velocity (ft/s)1,664
Pressure17,200 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains13.0
Velocity (ft/s)1,984
Pressure26,600 PSI

Originally Posted By: 6724not sure you could get down to 22 hornet velocities, but maybe.

unless you are shooting great distances, why not go the other route and use a hornet to begin with? or a 17 rem?

I already have the 22-250 and like it very well for coyotes

Originally Posted By: pahntr760BULLET WEIGHT55 GR. SPR SP
ManufacturerIMR
PowderTrail Boss
Bullet Diameter.224"
C.O.L.2.350"
Starting Load
Grains9.1
Velocity (ft/s)1,664
Pressure17,200 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains13.0
Velocity (ft/s)1,984
Pressure26,600 PSI

Thanks thats a start and I do have several 55gr bullets on hand. I dont have Trail Boss at this time but I will see what I can find

Originally Posted By: 6724not sure you could get down to 22 hornet velocities, but maybe.

^^^ this or a downloaded 223

Originally Posted By: pahntr760BULLET WEIGHT55 GR. SPR SP
ManufacturerIMR
PowderTrail Boss
Bullet Diameter.224"
C.O.L.2.350"
Starting Load
Grains9.1
Velocity (ft/s)1,664
Pressure17,200 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains13.0
Velocity (ft/s)1,984
Pressure26,600 PSI

That will get you where You want to go.

Some other Powders that will get you at or under Hornet velocity are:

Red Dot
700x
green Dot
SR-4756
SR-4759
IMR-4227
IMR-4198

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: pahntr760BULLET WEIGHT55 GR. SPR SP
ManufacturerIMR
PowderTrail Boss
Bullet Diameter.224"
C.O.L.2.350"
Starting Load
Grains9.1
Velocity (ft/s)1,664
Pressure17,200 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains13.0
Velocity (ft/s)1,984
Pressure26,600 PSI

That will get you where You want to go.

Some other Powders that will get you at or under Hornet velocity are:

Red Dot
700x
green Dot
SR-4756
SR-4759
IMR-4227
IMR-4198
Thanks The #47 Lyman book also mentioned most of the powders that you mention for alloy loads

Yup. They work fine. Bit more friction with copper jackets but if you pay attention those loads will work with jacketed bullets. You can use 50gr too.

Imr-4227 works very well. It is used a lot in pistol chambering where the barrel is short. It also works well in longer barrels for rifle in reduced loads.

Thinking about it I am surprised that more info is not available for this very same thing with many more calibers. Think of the advantages in having 1 .22 cal gun that could shoot 1,600 fps and all the way upto 4,000fps. Many of us like owning several different guns of the same caliber but this would be a advantage in many cases. Even with say a .30 cal shoot deer at 1,800-2,000 fps or brown bear at 3,700 fps with the same gun

I was told this by another fellow reloader.

"I believe Hodgdon says you can reduce the charge of H4895 as much as you want without a problem. Check their website for confirmation and details."

This ,if true, would be would be what would be needed to shoot 1,600-3,600 from one .22 cal rifle. Can others see the advantage?

Scalloper,
I've been reloading since 1965 and I really never did much reduced loads so I don't know for sure but there may be one thing you didn't think about. You said in your post.."if given the opportunity I could slip in a reduced load round and kill a fox or cat" What comes to my mind is, if you have the rifle sighted in for your normal hot loads for coyotes and a fox comes in and you shoot with a reduced load, won't the POI (point of impact) be different.?? and you may miss the critter...just a thought. I think you would have to do some range time to get a hot and reduced load to hit the same place at different distances.....just my thought. Good luck

Originally Posted By: peterjcScalloper,
I've been reloading since 1965 and I really never did much reduced loads so I don't know for sure but there may be one thing you didn't think about. You said in your post.."if given the opportunity I could slip in a reduced load round and kill a fox or cat" What comes to my mind is, if you have the rifle sighted in for your normal hot loads for coyotes and a fox comes in and you shoot with a reduced load, won't the POI (point of impact) be different.?? and you may miss the critter...just a thought. I think you would have to do some range time to get a hot and reduced load to hit the same place at different distances.....just my thought. Good luck

This..... is the problem when it comes to application. Sure you can reduce or increase loads but it is real tricky to keep point of impact the same when slipping in a different load with current dial in. Not just in elevation but windage changes too.

Originally Posted By: peterjcScalloper,
Yes sir I did think about this. And with some range time I may get the reduced load to shoot say +- 2" is what I am hoping to acheive.

Hodgdon says 60% rule for loads that list H4895. The shooter can create a 1,500-2,100 fps load depending on bullet weight shown. This may be the safe route for me at this time.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperI was told this by another fellow reloader.

"I believe Hodgdon says you can reduce the charge of H4895 as much as you want without a problem. Check their website for confirmation and details."

This ,if true, would be would be what would be needed to shoot 1,600-3,600 from one .22 cal rifle. Can others see the advantage?

I think what hodgdon says is that you can safely go down to 60% of published loads for h4895 with the same bullet.... they say between 60% to 100% is a safe range of loads for 4895....... 60% 4895 works well
you might get the first lee reloading manual... he talks a lot about reduced loads in that...
you have to have enough pressure to get the bullet moving down the barrel.... that is why slow powders are not good..they... slowly (relatively) build pressure and the bullet acts like it is stuck in the bore.... the lower velocity you go the softer the bullet you should use.... hornet bullets or spsx hody bullets or cast bullets (maybe) if you go for rimfire velocities.

I love reduce loads..... I usually use accurate 5744 for reduced loads in bottleneck rifle cartridges.... look up their rifle data and see if anything is listed for a 22-250..
accurate 5744 is easy to ignite and does not need any "filler" to hold the powder against the primer... it will reliably ignite without the case being full...

look at this article for a 5744 load
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/handloading-22-250-rem/

another link... some 5744 ...these are not "published loads" just guys talking on the internet..... so....
http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread_archive.cfm?threadid=240867

ILMO

Back