Reloader - Someone other than me. . .

Thanks Everyone for your comments.

I will reload my on my own at some point. I ran the number like a couple of you all did. For the near future I will be buy'n factory rounds.

That way I can build my collection of brass, and try a few loads to help me figure out where I might want to start when I do reload my own.

I can look for used equipment/dies etc, so my start up costs will be a bit lower

and

I can try and find someone local, who can share/help me load a few rounds, so I can see how it works in reality, vs you tube or in a book.

Thanks Again

Originally Posted By: Ran6erThanks Everyone for your comments.

I will reload my on my own at some point. I ran the number like a couple of you all did. For the near future I will be buy'n factory rounds.

That way I can build my collection of brass, and try a few loads to help me figure out where I might want to start when I do reload my own.

I can look for used equipment/dies etc, so my start up costs will be a bit lower

and

I can try and find someone local, who can share/help me load a few rounds, so I can see how it works in reality, vs you tube or in a book.

Thanks Again

That sounds like a good plan. As someone who has gotten into reloading in the last couple years, I will disagree with some of the above statements about saving money. Unless you shoot serious volume (1000's of rounds per year), or reload with very basic equipment, you won't. And its a slippery slope once you're in, it's easy to justify more and more stuff. It'll be a decade before I break even, if ever.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it and can make quality ammo tailored to my rifles, but it is most certainly not a cost saving venture. I like your plan to really think it over and watch someone else do it with their stuff, before you buy anything.

Actual quote from the friend who helped me get started reloading, " I don`t reload to save money, but to make a more accurate round, fine tuned to my rifle".

I really believe I could save money reloading however I think that reloading causes me to shoot more because I believe its saving me money. But what the heck its more fun than sitting in front of the TV in the evening and I always have all the ammo I need for whatever it is I'm shooting at the time. I believe that I save more money on some calibers than others. Seems .223 used to be available at times cheaper than I could reload and I would buy some factory or remanufactured loads same with 9mm. But with .45 acp 44 mag, 22/250, 300 RUM and 338 RUM it didn't take long to get into the saving money department.

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhOriginally Posted By: Ran6erThanks Everyone for your comments.

and

Thanks Again

That sounds like a good plan. As someone who has gotten into reloading in the last couple years, I will disagree with some of the above statements about saving money. Unless you shoot serious volume (1000's of rounds per year), or reload with very basic equipment, you won't. And its a slippery slope once you're in, it's easy to justify more and more stuff. It'll be a decade before I break even, if ever.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it and can make quality ammo tailored to my rifles, but it is most certainly not a cost saving venture. I like your plan to really think it over and watch someone else do it with their stuff, before you buy anything.

Hard to say what 20 rnds. of your favorite or most used ammo will cost 10...20 years from now...
Many of us who reload already know.

You make a good point Hooked. Knowing we can make our own does give us some peace of mind and could pay dividends in the future.

I probably overstated my opinion in my previous post, but I wanted to throw in some advice to be cautious when jumping into reloading. I know from experience, you can waste a lot of money on stuff you don't need with justifications of saving money, even if you're a very casual shooter.

Originally Posted By: Anton Chigurh You make a good point Hooked. Knowing we can make our own does give us some peace of mind and could pay dividends in the future.

I probably overstated my opinion in my previous post, but I wanted to throw in some advice to be cautious when jumping into reloading. I know from experience, you can waste a lot of money on stuff you don't need with justifications of saving money, even if you're a very casual shooter.

You made some good points as well, and I agree about the expense involved with equipment not necessarily needed (but, hey, what hobby is free ?..lol).
I just wanted to throw out another thought to consider, and you nailed it too with `piece of mind`.
Not sure what the exact cost of components were 20+ years ago, but the friend who helped me get started into reloading makes it sound like even component prices have gone through the roof..dunno?

Quote:Not sure what the exact cost of components were 20+ years ago, ...I don't remember fully about 20 years ago, but I have a box of 500 lead cast and lubed 180gr Semi-Wadcutters for .40/10mm that I paid $14.95 in 2004 and the average I find at Midway today is $66.99 for 500...175gr are the same price...Other components that I've had on the shelf for 5-10 years are not much different...

Back