22-250 vs .243

scott_r

What do you think is a better Coyote round?? I've had both and am still undecided /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just ordered a new T3 lite in .243 for the next coyote season but it took a coin toss for me.
I really like a 22-250 w/ a 55 gr V-Max, never has exited for me w/ a good chest shot. The 22-250 is a real flat shooter , very accurate and pleasant to shoot.
That being said I live in the prairies where a long shot happens quite a bit, its always windy and the coyotes are usually quite big.
Im going to be shooting the 58 gr V-Max along w/ the 75 gr. V-Max. I may try some Sierra hollow points but I think they'd be to destructive???
So what calibre would you choose in my situation??

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:
You didn't say how far your shots are, but the .243 would be better long range than 22-250, especially in the wind.
85 grn Sierra BTHP.

I personal enjoy predator hunting with a 22-250 as it just seems to be a bit more, I dunno......can a cartridge be "sexy"?? Shots for me go all the way from 25 yards on out to 450. Generally the majority are within 100 yards. I get constant bang-flops shooting 45 grain Winchester HP's that are actually goin at about 3800FPS, not the advertised 4000.

For your situation, I believe your using the right combo, and I believe you'll benefit from the 75 grain bullets more so than the 58 if your really worried about bucking the wind.

Some people consider the .243 to be the end all be all of predator cartridges. It will sure put down any varmint you wish to shoot, and with authority.

To tell you the truth, the only reason I don't use the .243 is I don't like all the exit wounds.

Enjoy your new rifle!

Jake

Before you dismiss the .223 as boring, you might take a look at the BC of a heavy VLD bullet in a fast twist barrel. Think quarter horse vs. thoroughbred.

That said a coin toss is about as good as any to determine which is better. Speed can be equal for both with lighter bullets, what brings out the difference is heavy slower bullets out of the .243 will have more range but most of us have no business shooting that far to tell the difference. When you weigh in terminal performance it brings us back to the coin toss. There's just no caliber that shoots flat but for long range I'd pick the .243 out of the two and do lots of ballistic homework and go 85 grain or above on bullet selection. But then again I've seen and made some long shots with a 22-250. Where's that coin?

You don't need us justifying your purchase.....you listed all the reasons you went with the 243 and they are all sound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hey, I'd say just to buy them both. Who ever said that you had to have a limit on guns (be sure to approve through the boss (wife))? It's kind of like women and jewelry. They have 20 earrings that look the same, so I don't see why us guys can't have 20 guns that all fire a bullet out of the barrel... (Boy am I glad my wife doesn't like this site. I'd for sure hear it after saying something like that.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
If you're wanting to shoot 55 to 60 grain bullets in the .243, you're going to see a long range grouping disadvantage over a typical 22-250 shooting 55's.

I've been noticing this trend for over two years now (I've been a .243 shooter for the longest time, and only began working with a 22-250 about two years ago). The 22-250, pushing 55's, could cut the 300+ yard group size in half compared to a .243 shooting 55 grain bullets.

I couldn't figure out why this was. In fact, at 100 yards, there was no difference between the .243 and 22-250 groups, each shooting 55 grainers.

But then a guy on a benchrest forum enlightened me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you over-spin a bullet, it will resist "nosing down" as it arcs over the top of the trajectory path. At 100 yards, neither the 22-250 or the .243 was arcing down yet, so there was no problem.

But at 300 yards, as the 55 grain grain bullet from the .243 tries to "nose down," its accelerated gyroscopic spin causes it to resist this downward point, and it is at this point that the bullet can/will develop some yaw, or "wobble." Maybe not a whole lot of wobble, but enough to make what were 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards turn into 1 to 1.5 MOA groups at 300 yards--this when the 22-250 was still printing nice 2" groups at 300 yards.

It's simple physics, and makes perfect sense if you think about it. In order for the bullet to make the necessary "nose down" transistion at the peak of the trajectory arc, it must not be spinning too fast; else it will resist the critical "nosing down" transition, and begin--at least for a finite moment--to descend with its nose still pointing skyward.

Most .243's these days have a 9 3/4 twist--noteably faster than the 12 twist of my Savage 22-250. Some 22-250's have a 14 twist, by the way. And herein lies the reason why you'll see--when 55 grain bullets are on the menu--the slower twist 22-250 shoot tighter at extreme range; it does not hyper-stabilize the bullet.

For your .243, stick with 65 to 85 grain bullets, and you'll have no disadvantages. I like the 75 grain VMAX in the .243--it's extremely accurate, a very good long range bullet, and totally devastating. I think if you'll try 39.0 grains of IMR 3031 with that 75 grain VMAX you'll never look for another recipe. It's a proven OCW load, and has yet to perform badly in any .243 I've tried it in.

Please don't take this all to say that you cannot get acceptable groups from a .243 pushing the 55's at 300 to 400 yards. It's just that the 22-250 will consistently shoot tighter "across the arc." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

Hey beef. Funny you say that about the wife's jewelry. I have gotten some good deals on rifles over my years. but everyone my wife has found out about has cost me a new piece of jewelry. Every tiome I look at a getting a new firearm, I have to figure in the cost of the rifle and the cost of the jewelry.
Scott, Either rifle will take a 50 lb dog to the ground. I cant add any more than what these guys have allready said. personally I have both, If I get up to go after a dog I grab which ever one I havent shot in a while, I dont feel handicapped by either one. I shoot 55 gr bullets out of my 250 and knowing the scorn I will get from the others in here the lightest I shoot in my 243 is 95 gr. I know it will shoot lighter bullets faster but if i want a light fast bullet I have the 250 or the swift for that. I shoot the 243 for its ability to shoot in the wind.
Maybe I have too many guns, for each rifle caliber, i have a set bullet weight that i shoot in it. I only have one max accuracy/velocity load for each. Below is how I have each of mine loaded
22 hornet-40 gr
222 rem- 50 gr
223 bolt gun- 55 gr
223 ar 15 -69 gr
22-250 55 gr
220swift- 60 gr
243/6mm both are loaded with 95 gr noslers, my 6mm shoots Partitions for deer and the 243 shoots the 95 Ballistic for dogs.
25-06 100 nosler Ballistic and partitions, they print to the same POI
6.5x55 swede 120 gr
I can go on but i think you get the idea, pick the gun you like and shoot it.

Do you guys find that .243 does alot more pelt damage then a 22-250?? I shot alot of coyotes w/ a 22-250 and the bullet rarely exits, shot a few with my old 788 .243 and had quite a big exit wound w/ a 75 gr V-Max. Most coyotes I shoot are 150-200 yards and sometimes closer.

Cheers!!

Scott, be prepared to do some sewing. 22-50 is more fur friendly than the .243 and the .223 can be made more fur friendly than either.
My hunting buddy uses a .243 with V-max bullets and I don't think I've seen a yote yet that he's shot that did not have an exit. The plus side is, they don't go anywhere. But then they don't with the 22-50 either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I think your gonna be just fine with the .243 though. Get to shootin it and learn the ups and downs of it till your ready for next season. Have fun!!

Jake

I own five 243's. I have never liked the caliber. Last winter I took one coyote hunting and shot at a coyote at the base of a canyon, It echoed throught all of the canyons.I thought I was going to have to drive twnty miles to set up again. I prefer my 22-250s.

96220832deadhorse.jpg

I have both also and a 223, all in Tikkas. I kind of agree with 17shooter, set them up for different stuff.
I shoot 45 grain at 3600 for my 223: 55 grain 3600 for my 250: and 95 grain out of my 243.
I use the 223 for a calling rifle, P dog, multipal shot things. 22/250 for all round predators even up to Cougars, and my 243 if it is windy, loooooong shots, or we might call a bear.
Carl

Where is 6mm when you need him? He may have an opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Arborman, I was going to ask a question about 1) breaking in a new barrel, using 2)Moly coated bullets in a 3)17HMR to use for Coyote hunting just to see your dead horsy picture again. Now I won't have to ask the question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Todd

Quote:
Do you guys find that .243 does alot more pelt damage then a 22-250?? I shot alot of coyotes w/ a 22-250 and the bullet rarely exits, shot a few with my old 788 .243 and had quite a big exit wound w/ a 75 gr V-Max. Most coyotes I shoot are 150-200 yards and sometimes closer.

Cheers!!

1.Yes
2.I thought you said long range?
3.Your new .243 will do just fine, although so would a boring .223 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I jump from a .17 Rem. to a .223 to a .243 depending on my mood I feel I got em covered pretty good.

I have spent all of my adult life (born in 1956) pondering that question.

Answer.

Hunt with both of them from here on out and report back.

If pelts don't mean too much. Then .243.

If pelts are important. Then smaller.

Now, you could go to a controlled expansion bullet (big game bullet) for fur season with the .243?

Real long range. The .25-06 or .257 WBY??

Really save pelts. .17 Rem or 19 Calhooun?

See, it's maddening.

Anyone know a good shrink. I think I could use some couch time.

Regards

Three 44s

Back