Bobcat trap size

TommyP

I have some no.2 leg holds traps. Should I go no.3 or 4 for bobcat? I'll be setting traps in south Texas in a couple of weeks.

Not sure about Texas, but in Michigan I have always used #2 Bridger square jaw. I've tried #1 3/4 duke offset but they can slide there foot out too easy. nothing worse then empty an empty trap with lots of tracks. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Originally Posted By: John SI use #1 3/4 &# 2's but with 4 coil springs. Got 4 so far this year. And I live in SE TX..

Mine have two springs. Should I get #2's with 4? Do they hold better? My first try at trapping and I don't want an empty trap.

I first got # 2 dukes and lost some coyotes so I order some more springs to add on to the # 2's and have not lost any bobcat or coyotes. Have lost some where they only got there 1 toe in the trap. You can get some exert springs for you if you want too. That way you can try them and see if you like them with low cost.

Last edited:
#2 will hold anything you want to catch. ( wouldn't be my first choice for a lion)

All I run are Bridger 2s and know for a fact that they will hold a 100 pound Pyranees

Four coil, laminate, offset if you can.

i use primarily #2 bridgers 4x4 but my fur buyer has been using the same victor 1.5's for the last 20 years and that's all he uses for cats

3's work great! 4's are even better! I know a guy that took a pile of 'cats in the 60-70's and used nothing but #2 Victor longsprings. When we were kids you made do with what you could afford and it worked!

my #3 sleepy creek long springs (offset) are about the smallest I would use. im no expert btw but they are just big enough I get above the pad. ideally the number 4's would be better for me for just targeting cats and coyotes but with the number 3's I have a good trap that will catch them purty good and isn't over kill on the coons and groundhogs and smaller stuff. forget what fntpost says the jaws on these traps are. I ordered them thinking they where a 6" jaw spread but mine are about 5 3/8" inside jaw spread

Depends on the brand.
Not all 2's, 3's, and 4's are the same.
I use #2 Bridger and MB 550's without a problem. (Both 4coiled and off-set.)
Bridger has a wider jaw spread but I actually like the 550's better. That's just me though.

#2 Bridger.

MB 550

No. 4 is to big for cats,you will just cause damage.My choice is # 3 4 coil with laminated jaws in snow,or # 2 coil if not much snow.

whatever you use, make sure you laminate your jaws and have at least 3 swivels on your chain. shock springs help too. the smaller trap statement making less damage is common to hear in the trapping world. but i stick my hand in all of them and my dogs has been caught in all of them and the bigger traps hurt less to me. my dogs just set there in them but my opossum traps 1.5's and 1.75's kill my fingers when i catch myself and make my dogs squall and fight the trap. i think its cause them little jaws are flying so fast that the smack when they connect kills ya and startles the critters making them fight more. i get more damage from them traps when i catch opossum then i do with my #3 longsprings and a opossum gets in them. i dont get any damage with my #3 longsprings

#2's in Texas will work just fine, you will catch anything you want down there in them, and here I run Montgomery #4's every year and don't damage anything anymore than my #3's.

Back