Browning X Bolt .280 Rem

dubllung4

I have the opportunity to buy one at what I would consider a very good price-but I don't have a need for it. The gun is clean with a few bumps but nothing major, it looks like the finish is blasted stainless.

What are the X Bolts like for accuracy? I honestly do not know a whole lot about the 280 either. How easy is it to find brass and dies? What can I expect for recoil and performance?

I guess I just need to be talked into it.

I can't speak of the X-bolts as I've never done anything more than hold them. I did have an A-Bolt several years ago in 7mm mag. It was a great rifle and I regret having to sale it.

As for the 280 Remington you can expect the performance and recoil to be like the .270Win. The big advantage of the 280 vs the 270 is that you get to take advantage of the larger selection of 7MM bullets. As far as availability of brass I would say it is good. It's on the shelves at both Sportsman's and Bass Pro around here in Winchester and Remington.

I have a 280AI with a 1:7" twist and like to shoot the SMK 168gr over RE 22. Very accurate combo in my rifle.

I do believe had Remington not screwed up and called it the 7mm Express and released it in their Semi auto it would have been a bigger success. May have even made the .270Win obsolete.

I do like the larger bullet selection. Whats a good powder for the 280? I think I will get it and at least play with it for a little while. I really like the looks and feel of the gun.

Originally Posted By: Warboar_21...................I do believe had Remington not screwed up and called it the 7mm Express and released it in their Semi auto it would have been a bigger success. May have even made the .270Win obsolete.

The .280 Remington, as it was originally named, was introduced in 1957 for the Remington model 740, 760, 721, and 725 rifles.

Due to over 20 years of poor sales where it did not compete effectively in the gun market stuck between the established 270 Winchester and the 30-06, Remington renamed the cartridge in 1979, calling it the 7MM Express in an attempt to increase attention and sales. Having two 7MM Remington named cartridges at the same time (the 7MM Express and the 7MM Rem Mag) confused a lot of ammunition buying people, and as a result, two years later in 1981 Remington changed the name back to .280 Remington. That name has stuck until the present time.

The 280 Rem is an excellent cartridge in factory form. The 280 AI gives a bit more velocity along with the reduced case stretching benefit of the 40 degree shouldered AI cartridges.

I have a Ruger AW .280.It's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned or seen shot in person at the ranges I've been to.Brass is easy enough to come by or resize from 30-06 which is everywhere.Both RL19 and IMR 4831 work great with most bullet weights.All my metallic gear is from Lee.Midway often has sales on dies from one brand or another.IMO the .280 is the best of all cals that evolved off the 06.I've no experience with Browning's.

It seemed to me from looking at both online and LGS, during even the depth of the shortage, brass for both .28o Rem and .222 Rem were plentiful, even when every thing else was out of stock.

If at 'a very good price' I would buy it. That may be the sub $500 level with a few accessories, good condition to boot.

Back