Why did I buy Lapua?

kam582

A couple of years ago I obtained my first 22-250. I bit the bullet and bought 500 pieces of Lapua brass for it and have been very happy with the way it shoots. This is strictly my prairie dog gun. Well, now I would like to get some more brass for it and of course, can't find any Lapua, and if I could, I probably couldn't afford it anyhow. I can find Norma, at $1.03 to $1.07 a piece, and Hornady at about $.77 a round or so, but no Lapua. My question is, am I being naive to think that I could load the same recipe into different brass and not have the POI change? I went back and read some old threads and it seems that out to 400 yards I might not see a difference. What do you guys think.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessWhat's wrong with the 500 Lapua you have? You should be able to wear out several barrels with 500 Lapua cases.

Unless he want more for quantity purposes...I don't see how someone could run through 500 pieces if they are properly caring for the brass.

I am interested also. 500 cases in a couple years? How many loadings on each? Still on same barrel? I realize you sling a lot of lead PD shooting, but......What kind of shape is brass in now?

My 22-250 with Lapua brass shoots two inches low and two inches right of my Winchester brass with the same exact load. Brass has never been an issue with any of the several calibers I load for...until now. This is also my first experience with Lapua brass.

Originally Posted By: kam582...My question is, am I being naive to think that I could load the same recipe into different brass and not have the POI change? I went back and read some old threads and it seems that out to 400 yards I might not see a difference. What do you guys think.

I am NOT a seasoned reloader by any means, but I've loaded these as follows.
220 Swift (win vs rem)
243WSSM (factory nickel vs win)
243 Win (win vs rem)
6mm Rem (rem vs fed)
270 Win (win vs rem)
7mm Rem (win vs nosler)
300 SAUM (win vs nosler vs norma)

EVERY SINGLE CARTRIDGE has had a different group size and usually POI when using different brass.

99% of the time it's because of variances in neck tension and case capacity. If I can see the difference at 100 yds while doing load development, then it's enough.

If the weight difference is significant, then your H2O capacity is obviously significant as well. That means one charge might create a completely different pressure level/velocity/accuracy node and POI.

It really comes down to what you expect your loads to do and if you're willing to buy brass in hopes of getting lucky.

With 500 pieces...I'd wait till you rebarrel, and then buy enough to last for the life of that barrel as well.

Originally Posted By: cbass16

With 500 pieces...I'd wait till you rebarrel, and then buy enough to last for the life of that barrel as well.

Much wisdom there.
grin.gif

Back