Here's a topic to get the weekend started

I thought an Ecall would help increase the take, but really hasn't made much of a difference. I use both depending on the situation. I do use the ecaller more in cold windy weather, it's easier and louder. I do regret getting one with a large capacity for sounds. I don't use but maybe 10 calls all together, but having that many choices is good I suppose. I have about 4 go to hand calls and 1 howler I use allot this time of year.

I generally use mouth calls for my dog hunting, becuase it's mainly done at night. I would hate life in the coon woods though without an ecaller. LOL

There's a place for both.

I use two or three hand calls and have a new Hellfire that replaced a dependable Johnny Stewart Cassette Caller. I really can't say that I have a preference, in fact to be honest, I have shot more coyotes from squeaking with my lips than I have any of the calls or Ecallers. IMO, ecallers have a couple advantages, you can set them up away from yourself removing scent and movement problems, more sound selections, the newer calls are much more portable. Advantages to hand calling, no calls sound the same even if you try to so animals may be less call shy, less expensive, batteries never die but you will eventually get fatigued.

Being able to hand call an animal in doesn't make a hunter better than one who uses electronic equipment, its just a different method in a tech age. I bought the Hellfire because it is digital and will probably make me a more effective pred hunter but didn't do it to replace the hand calls. You wouldn't go golfing with only one club and I wouldn't go pred hunting with out both hand and Ecaller either.

Last edited:
I guess that's how you define "better" Tick. I'd argue that being a proficient hand caller makes a predator hunter a far better hunter than a hunter using an e caller. It might not translate into more coyotes harvested; if that makes any sense.
I typically just call for other people and don't shoot very often. Several of them ask me to call for them just because I use hand calls vs using their e call, and I guess I'd say I'm pretty decent with them. It's a tad bit embarrassing, but I used to be an okay trumpet player, and I really think it translated into hand calling, mostly diaphragm use, air control, and tone control.
It's just a fact that it doesn't take hardly any skill to flip on lightning jack and sit back and shoot a coyote, at least the uneducated ones. Location is the most important part of calling in my opinion, and it is often the most overlooked and difficult part of calling. However, hit enough spots, bad location or not, flip on the e call, and eventually everyone will get lucky.

I think a better word is skilled hunter.

Hand calling any game is a skill learned thru hrs of field experience and blown hunts. Far more skill than turning an electric on for sure. I consider myself a better than average turkey caller and would never use an electric on them because I really enjoy the calling experience but I still practice it all the time. For coyotes, I can't stand the things and will use whatever they come to. I also agree that location and setup are as important.

I think a better word is skilled hunter.

Hand calling any game is a skill learned thru hrs of field experience and blown hunts. Far more skill than turning an electric on for sure. I consider myself a better than average turkey caller and would never use an electric on them because I really enjoy the calling experience but I still practice it all the time. For coyotes, I can't stand the things and will use whatever they come to. I also agree that location and setup are as important.

Originally Posted By: hunter44i would like to start using some hand calls just don't know where to start

Start by picking up a good open reed call. A custom by Carver calls would be good, or some production Critter calls. Then, just start practicing. I wouldn't go overboard at first until you develop some skill. Don't worry about howlers yet, just start by trying to mimic a dying rabbit sound and progress from there.
I personally like to practice by playing familiar tunes on my calls. Use every chance you get to practice. I do some farming, so those long hours in the tractor preseason are perfect for some practice time. It will take a little while to become familiar with your calls but don't get discouraged.
Blow the call using air from your diaphragm, not your mouth. This will produce better sounds and you won't get fatigued as much. I guess in lamens terms, use your deep lung air.
Just remember, not only are you practicing making sounds, but you're strengthening your jaw muscles, which helps you sound better, and blow longer.
Use your hand cupped around the bell of the call, teeth placement, air movement, and lip placement to change pitches and sound volume.

Practice, practice, practice!

Back