Hornady factory ammo

Lefty SRH

I mounted a new Nikon Monarch in my CZ 527 American .223 last night and took it out today to zero the new glass. I had three different Hornady V-Max loads to try: 40gr varmint express , 55gr varmint express and 53gr Superformance varmint.
So far the rifle seems the prefer the 55gr ammo the best, 1.25" if you count my flyers. The 40gr stuff shot respectfully. The Superformance (which i thought would perform the best) shot the worst, 2.5" groups is being very generous.
Has anyone had better results from the Superformance .223 53gr?
Id lke to find some 62gr soft points for grins and giggles.

I plan on reloading for this rifle in the near future but for now ill continue building my brass hoard.

I am getting a little under an inch with the 53gr. Superformance out of my AR. It's a 1:8 twist though. I have heard that Superformance shoots best out of a faster twist.

Before I started reloading around 90' I tried hornady loaded ammo in several of my rifles and all with terrible results. Always 2.5" plus groups. Even with reloading now I'm still not impressed with them. I normally have to try several powders to get them to shoot. Honady bullets have always been extremely finicky for me. I switched to the Nosler BTs. I can always get a cloverleaf with the right powder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwayI am getting a little under an inch with the 53gr. Superformance out of my AR. It's a 1:8 twist though. I have heard that Superformance shoots best out of a faster twist.

Hhmmm interesting, i havent heard that

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorBefore I started reloading around 90' I tried hornady loaded ammo in several of my rifles and all with terrible results. Always 2.5" plus groups. Even with reloading now I'm still not impressed with them. I normally have to try several powders to get them to shoot. Honady bullets have always been extremely finicky for me. I switched to the Nosler BTs. I can always get a cloverleaf with the right powder.

What powders have you found to work the best with Noslers?

I shoot the 53 superformance out of my model 7 predator, it has a 1-12 twist and when I do my part it will give me half inch groups. I shot them out of a Remington 700 sps varmint, don't know the twist of that rifle but they shot well out of it as we'll.

I'm shooting Hornady Varmint Express 55 grain in my RRA PP 20" barrel. I am very satisfied. My best 5 shot group is 5/8". I did buy 10 boxes at one time so I have the same lot numbers.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHOriginally Posted By: DultimatpredatorBefore I started reloading around 90' I tried hornady loaded ammo in several of my rifles and all with terrible results. Always 2.5" plus groups. Even with reloading now I'm still not impressed with them. I normally have to try several powders to get them to shoot. Honady bullets have always been extremely finicky for me. I switched to the Nosler BTs. I can always get a cloverleaf with the right powder.

What powders have you found to work the best with Noslers?
Benchmark

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRH

53 gr Superformance
5 shots
100 yds
20" RRA PP 1-8"

a2093a04-dbf6-4ef3-af6d-82eb1c3d1f10.jpg

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: Lefty SRH

53 gr Superformance
5 shots
100 yds
20" RRA PP 1-8"

a2093a04-dbf6-4ef3-af6d-82eb1c3d1f10.jpg

I guess ill try them in my AR, it has a seven twist barrel.

Back