Accidentally shot a coyotes leg off today, feel bad for once

Well while you feeling bad for the coyote you can think about this: its very common for coyotes to eat the rear end out of a cow while she is calving in my country. So by the time she has the calf the calf is dead and the cow has to be put down later. I Understand that we like to be humane in our sport but I'm sure someone with livestock in your area appreciates your effort.

Originally Posted By: yotezapperWell while you feeling bad for the coyote you can think about this: its very common for coyotes to eat the rear end out of a cow while she is calving in my country. So by the time she has the calf the calf is dead and the cow has to be put down later. I Understand that we like to be humane in our sport but I'm sure someone with livestock in your area appreciates your effort.

Wow never heard of them doing that before, dam coyotes.... My dad grew up on a farm and hasn't told me anything like that before

I've made plenty of bad shots animals from rabbits and squirrels to coons, ducks, and coyotes, and each time I go to the range to burn some ammo and get some practice in. One thing I've been doing more of this year is target shooting in field positions, not just off the bench.

Don't beat yourself up too much, just practice, practice, practice and go kill coyotes!

Originally Posted By: ArctylerOriginally Posted By: clubstrumpDid you track it at all????? Seems like the track wouldn't be too hard to follow.
Harder said than done, the blood wasn't consistent, it was blood, 100 yards, then a pool of blood again, and it wasn't in a straight line it was all over in a zig zag, then you couldn't follow the tracks because there was just so many prints where he went

I could track it.

^^ Agreed. Only ever lost one, after two days of tracking. Only because it lead to private property and the owners didn't like us much since my uncle wouldn't sell him some land he wanted.

You should feel bad, think about the animals they prey on. I hate to lose an animal, but I think every coyote should go through a grouling death!

It sucks to loose an animal or make an inhumane shot... Unfortunately it's part of hunting... The good news, It did die, so thats one less chicken, dog, cat, cow, deer, bunny eating coyote... I've lost 3 coyotes to bad shots, 1 was a liver shot, it made it to thick bush never to be seen again, one was a gut shot, and one was a shot, that left a good blood trail, but it wondered off the property so I couldn't legally fallow it any more....

At least they all joined the fraternal order of Good coyotes...

Can't remember 100% ,but we've killed atleast 2 coyotes with missing front legs and a few missing feet. All had been healed and you sure as heck could not tell when the ran !

Just blew a leg off? Well, time to go find another one. The good side is that rascal will not be eating any more fawns, baby turkeys, or calves.

Although I don't think I've actually shot off any parts I know I have made a few legs inoperable. I chased one for miles and miles trying to catch up to him. That thing ran just as fast and far on 3 as any I've ever come up against that had all four working.

The way they take down thier prey I wouldn't feel bad at all for just wingin it. I would be mad about why I was off target though.

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LThe way they take down thier prey I wouldn't feel bad at all for just wingin it.

Yeah, those unethical buggers. You'd think they would use a high-powered rifle with good shot placement.....

Arctyler - I doubt that anyone on this website hasn't had a bad hit on a coyote. If they haven't- they will. We all strive for clean kill shots, but the fact is, it happens. I'm sure coyotes are wounded at much closer ranges than 100 yds, say 30 to 40 yds when shots may be hurried or the coyote wont stop. Heck,you can wound a coyote with buck shot and not even know it. If the vitals or gut is not hit,I would guess the coyote will survive. If he was going to bleed out, he would have done it in the 1st 200 yds. Called in a big male on Sept 16 and my boy shot it @165 yds only to have it get up and leave over the knoll after 5 minutes. Called that same coyote, same section and killed him on Nov16..He had no lower jaw, just upper jaw and tongue. He was in excellent health and weighed 38# after 2 months. Get back on the horse and ride....

Back