One big safe, or two smaller safes?

Originally Posted By: Varminterror

and I have a job/career that means I'll move every so many years.

I guess some folks just don't bother to read the original post.
I believe I would opt for another safe.
The one you have is already paid for. (I assume) So the additional cost may not be so bad.
May be easier to move two safes when it comes time to relocate. Maybe more overall storage space than you have now.
Do you have room for another safe?

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTYou guys are the best friend a dumb thief ever had.

If a thief is coming in and willing to steal a safe, even IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT after having trouble moving it, they can use a smart phone to google "moving gun safe" and have this information.

If they have the foresight, knowing they're going after a gun safe, then they've already googled it, and realized that they're not moving an 800lb gunsafe by hand, and aren't going to bring golfballs or PVC, they're going to bring a flat cart/creeper, a dolly, a couple buddies, whatever.

"Dumb thieves" that just broke in to steal your TV don't steal 800lb safes.

I was kind of thinking if a thief wants to carry mine out of my basement good luck. It took 4 guys to slide it down the steps. That is why the guns are insured for theft I guess.

I have a browning 800 pound safe and when it's full of guns and odds and end stuff that sucker would be a bear to get out of the house... but the truth is that most of the time the thief that's stealing your guns has either been invited into your home or a so called friend or someone who has been watching your every move... They will probably already know what they are after and what the job at hand will be.. I love the vault idea myself, it's the best protection you can get. I can't afford it myself.. There's nothing worse than a thief in my opinion... I vote two big safes if the money is right just so that they are pure [beeep] to steal...

One thing I'd mention, regarding bolting down safes, after two experiences with buddies safes:

First buddy's dad passed away, they lost the combination to his safe, so they had to contact the manufacturer to come out and open it. Before they could come out, we needed to move it. It was bolted on 4x4" feet, which were bolted to the floor. 2min with a sawzall and we had the safe lying in the back of my truck.

A girlfriend of my sister's had her husband run off, she couldn't open the safe. Wanting to hit him where it hurt, she wanted to sell the guns, but didn't want him to be able to come back and open the safe to get them. So we moved the safe to my sis's place. He had a heavy angle iron welded base to bolt to. Same deal, sawzall wedged between the safe and the baseplate and we had it off of the base in about a half hour.

After that, I pulled my safe and remounted it. Never occurred to me before. The new base has a welded plate lip that the safe sits down into, so you can't get anything beneath the safe itself. I also added a second set of internal anchor bolts (enclosed anchor bolts around the outside) that wouldn't be reachable with any sawzall type blade from the outside. Has 4 bolts that are protected around the outside, now 6 on the inside too.

Bolting down a safe is just to keep it from getting tipped over, if a thief can't get into it.

If someone really wants anything in your house they can get it given the proper time and tools.

How many of you lock the doors on your house ? Locking the door only keeps the "honest" people out. Entry is only a window pane or 2 away !

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeBolting down a safe is just to keep it from getting tipped over, if a thief can't get into it.

If someone really wants anything in your house they can get it given the proper time and tools.

How many of you lock the doors on your house ? Locking the door only keeps the "honest" people out. Entry is only a window pane or 2 away !

All very true.

I have heard of people that were gone on vacation that had their safe jack hammered from the concrete floor and then stolen, concrete and all.

Here is a simple solution from Liberty Safe. It is a wireless alarm system that will notify your smart phone when there is any vibration, temperature change or humidity change. That lets you know if the door has been opened or if someone is getting rough with your safe. It also notifies you if the humidity gets too high. This can be installed in any safe make or model.

http://www.deansafe.com/gun-safe-alarm.html

That's pretty cool ! I'd have to get a danged smart phone first .
unsure.gif

Most people get their guns stolen by someone they know. Never tell anyone how many guns you own and never show anyone your gun collection. Even if you trust that person. They will mention to ten people that their buddy joe up the street has a walk in safe full of machine guns and english best SxS.

For them to show up with a sawzall, jack hammer, or cutting torch they came with the intent to take your guns. Your average crack head runs in, grabs anything that isn't nailed down, and leaves fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Most people get their guns stolen by someone they know. Never tell anyone how many guns you own and never show anyone your gun collection. Even if you trust that person. They will mention to ten people that their buddy joe up the street has a walk in safe full of machine guns and english best SxS.

For them to show up with a sawzall, jack hammer, or cutting torch they came with the intent to take your guns. Your average crack head runs in, grabs anything that isn't nailed down, and leaves fast. So your telling me you have a safe full of machine guns and a English Best SxS? lol

TripleDeuce660 said:
Most people get their guns stolen by someone they know. Never tell anyone how many guns you own and never show anyone your gun collection. Even if you trust that person.

Yep this is what happened to my dad and i. Between him and me we had about 22 guns stolen by my nephew. We had them in a safe that only i had the combination to. Dad needed in the safe one day and called me for the combination, i gave it to him. Dad is in his 70's and has trouble with combo locks so he got my nephew to open it for him. Two months later i cracked the safe to find all but 3 of our guns gone. He ended up buying his own guns back just to keep that trash out of jail! So what ever you do protect your guns!

Back