7mm-08 120 V-Max Powder Selection

shankbone

I have a Ruger 77 MkII that shoots 100g Sierra HPs pretty well and 140 G Berger VLDs very well, but I'm having trouble with my first load of 120g Hornady V-Max bullets.

The first powder I tried was Hodgdon H335 and my groups looked liked patterns. I'm not a master reloader, but I can follow directions pretty well and I was hoping for better groups after sorting brass and bullets to eliminate (some) variables. I'm not looking for speed, but accuracy first.

I would really like to get the 120g V-Max bullets to shoot in my rifle and the powders I have available are:

Benchmark
H335 (didn't work so well)
Win 748
Win 760
Varget
Ramshot Tac

Which of the above powders should I try next?

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Varget and 760 worked well for me. And RL-15, if you can find it.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm really not wanting to use the Varget until I can find more. On local forums I've seen guys offering to trade .22 LR for Varget, but I'm not that desperate...yet. I do have more 760 and fewer guns that like 760, so I will try that first. Thanks!

I do have a half full jug of R15, but the last time I saw Rxx anything on the shelf they had everything but R15. This powder situation is...fun.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies so far. Spring weather has set in here, and in Oregon that means rain and reloading.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lhitchcoxI got great velocity and accuracy with Big Game. Since I can't find any right now, I may have to use Varget next season.

The only Ramshot powders I have been able to find in stock right now are Tac and Magnum. Big Game is hard to find, but, like you said, not as bad as Varget.

Originally Posted By: longrange454Don't be afraid to try IMR 4320. I did with my 308 just to save on Varget. Accuracy was good. Velocity was was about 50 fps slower.

I'm seeing 4320 available at a few places online. I like to buy powder "locally," to save on HAZMAT fees, but with the cost of gas I bet it actually pencils-out.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 5spd120G bullet powders that work super in my Savage 7-08:
W748/BlC2/imr4320/Varget/W760/RE19/H335

My rifle just did not like the H335, but I have a box of 120g Hornady SPs to try. Not that I expect better results with the SPs and H335, but I would like to burn up the remaining powder.

Of the W748, IMR4320, Varget, and W760, which powder was the most accurate for you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shankboneOf the W748, IMR4320, Varget, and W760, which powder was the most accurate for you?
imr4320 then w760

Hi I don't have a 7mm 08 but killed my first deer with with my 280 rem with RL 19 . The deer didn't run 40 yds and what a blood trail. I hope they work for u. If they don't please keep me in mine. I have 600 120 gr hornady HP on hand .

The sweet spot for the 7mm-08 is in the Varget, RL-15, IMR-4320 range,and others nearby. I'd try about any in that ball park.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 The sweet spot for the 7mm-08 is in the Varget, RL-15, IMR-4320 range,and others nearby. I'd try about any in that ball park.

That's good, because I can find 4320 right now at a couple of different places online.

Back