After The Shot ?

d2admin

Administrator
What do ya'll think about staying and calling after you shoot.

Say you call in and kill a coyote.Do you just move to a diffrent stand,or do you keep calling.

And what kind of results to you get?

Thanks,
Justin

I continue to call for as long as I have confidence in the stand, regardless of how early I happen to put one on the ground. I usually like stands of 12 to 15 minutes, but if they keep coming, I won't leave.

If your question is, why bother staying on stand after you kill one; the answer is that you will never kill doubles and triples, unless you continue to work the stand. And, if your question is; that the shot is going to spook any animal that might have been heading in, that isn't true. They can, and do run right in on you, after a shot. Don't be off guard.

Good hunting. LB

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 03-16-2001).]

I completely agree with Leonard. If I call in a coyote or fox and kill it with 1 shot, the only animal that knew what was going on is laying there dead. None of the others that are interested in your calling know as much as that one did. I will automatically continue to call with the same call for 20 more minutes just like nothing happened. It is very difficult to pinpoint the direction of a single shot. Also at least in this country coyotes and fox are around gunfire from hunters of all kinds almost all year, so that is nothing new. I have shot as high as 4 coyotes at the same stand by continuing to call like this. Empty brass and dead coyotes laying all around you. Now you have the old fun meter pegged at 10!

Well, I will confess, that usually, after I get one down, I am up and on my way out there. I know I SHOULD stay and call more, but dangit, I just dont have it in me! I get too riled up and wanna go check it out asap! I am still pretty well a rookie though, so it will come with time I am sure!

I also will stay and keep the noise going, I read a report years ago where a fellow kept detailed records of his hunts for a several year period. What he had to say was that he called in a coyote and killed it 25% of his stands. On the stands that he continued calling he also had a 25% rate of success for killing an additional coyote.
Sounds like since you are already there , and are not having to lose time in setup , and you already know that there are coytoes in the area it makes sense at least statistically wise to keep on calling after a shot.

My most recent experiance of note was on the Antelope Eaters contest.
I killed two sets of doubles on stands during that hunt where I had one laying out in front of me and called another in to keep him company.
I called three into one stand, both my pard and I missed on the first round of targets. I shot over a standing coyote and my pard missed another running away. I also shot and missed my coyote on a running shot. My pard was PO ed and started talking when I saw a third coyote top the ridge. I whispered shhh be quiet! he didn't hear me so I said fairly loud , be quiet dang it!.
This other yote didn't mind the three shots nor our conversation and lost the bet to my shot at about 75 yards.

I know that this was a rare occurance , however it just goes to show that you never can tell.

I am with the majority here.After I call and shoot a coyote I will usually continue calling for another 5 or so minutes before moving on.Or I might howl a couple of times it all depends on the situation.

99.9% of the time I will stay and keep calling until I feel nothing is going to respond. It also depends alot on the terrain I am calling in. If it is fields for as far as the eye can see I won't continue. But if there is cover that I can see I will continue for a while longer.

I guess I could be honest and tell you the real reason I stay at a stand after shooting....... I am just to damn lazy to get up and go to the next stand after only a couple minutes at the present one.
biggrin.gif

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

I have been trying this calling after the first coyote is down for a quite a while with no luck. And it finally paid off a couple days ago. I was calling with a buddy of mine (known as VMAX) on another BB. Well about 4 minutes into calling a coyote came trotting into the call and VMAX dumped him. I immediately started with the KI-YI's and then went back to the AP-6 and sure enough about 3 minutes after the shot another coyote showed up about 80 yards out. I am now a firm believer on staying after the first shot.

------------------
Hunt'em Hard
CoyoteKrazy

My experience mirrors that of most of the folks who have responded. I have more of a tendency to continue calling if the first critter comes in very early in the stand. However, regardless of when I pull the trigger on one that comes in, I will almost always use the wounded coyote screams for a couple of minutes after the shot. If it is early in the stand, I use the wounded coyote sound for a couple minutes and then switch back to the same sound that brought in the 1st customer.

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 03-16-2001).]

Silverfox said it all, use a few yikes and go back to the normal call routine. It dont always work, but often enough to keep trying. Give them about 15 additional minutes. I hunt alone mostly, so I have seen a lot of coyotes leave when I stand up and look behind me, several of them after I shot one.

------------------
God guns and guts made this country what it USED to be

I shot one with his buddy not 15 yards away. Of course the buddy spooked, but the first coyote went down so fast and quietly that his buddy came back within about 3 minutes looking for him. He hung up a little out of my range, but I wasn't calling. So I would definitely vote for staying with it even with one down.
smile.gif

This may be hard to believe, but this is what my cousin did, they had 5 coyotes in the back of the truck so I had to take his word for it..They started a stand and 1 yote came in and they shot it and kept calling, he said this happened 4 more times about 2 minutes apart. I personally have to say that when I shoot a yote or cat I WILL NOT get up and leave. I have on more than ???'s times shot and a few minutes later another comes in.. I called in a bobcat about a month ago and shot her and about 5 minutes later a yote came in on the same trail and walked with in 3 feet of the cat laying there and I shot him also..

------------------
Bus-Bus

Back