Best bullet for 300 RUM

Dogslayer24

I have a new Remington CDL 300 ultra mag and am in load development. I'm experimenting with RL 22, Retumbo and RL 25. The bullets I'm wondering about are the Berger VLD in either 168, 185, 190, or 210 grains. My rifle has a 10 twist but I really would like to make a long range rifle out of it for deer and elk. Although I've had excellent results over the years with the VLD in other calibers, I'm open to suggestions on other bullet brands.

Just wondering what weight of bullets u guys would go with and why?

Last edited:
I have a 300 n 375 RUM. If I remember right h1000, retumbo, rl 22 n 25, and imr7828. I have used sciroccos but there are so [beeep] expensive. I've got some 180g Barnes tripple shocks I'd give you a deal on. You want a harder constructed bullet in your RUM. I would suggest a bonded core bullet or a partition. Pound per pound a full load with a 180g bullet is the way to go with the 300

Last edited:
If your gonna run with the RUM go heavy, I shoot the 210 bergers in mine with 93 grains of retumbo. I tried h1000 but my accuracy node was way over pressured. I used the rem brass for a while then decided to go with nosler and I'm getting 1-2 more firings out of the brass, the bergers don't like to shoot to well unless there close to the lands, I had my mag well extended and used a Wyatt's follower that way it's not a single shot. I think a rum is a waste unless you run at least a 200 grain.

Thanks guys, I'm having kind of a hard time finding the heavy bullets. Wanted to take a look at the a accubond long range but they are nowhere to be found right now.

Originally Posted By: Tim...How about the 178 gr Amax or 168 or 180 nos bt? All are in stock at midway.

Those bullets act like a 40 grain vmax out of a 22-250 on a coyote when hitting bone. They work but literally turn a white tails internals inside out. It looks like a bomb went off inside them. Not good for saving meat. I shot a deer behind the front shoulder with a 180g BT and it fragmented so violently that the stomach blew apart and tainted the meat.

Last edited:
I shoot 180gr Hornady Interbonds and SST's in mine. Settled back on the SST's due to cost and I couldn't see a real advantage using the IB from a performance standpoint. Using H1000 I run them about 3200 fps. I have used it on plenty of deer without ruining meat. Place the shot in a good spot and you will have a big hole, but you won't destroy meat. If ruining meat is that big of a concern, use a different more suitable caliber.

h1000 and 210vld's in my rum....

anything lighter than 200's is a waste in a rum in my opinion. use that 1 in 10 barrel and shoot 210-230g bergers

Originally Posted By: kyle`h1000 and 210vld's in my rum....

anything lighter than 200's is a waste in a rum in my opinion. use that 1 in 10 barrel and shoot 210-230g bergers

Agreed totally
210 Berger .01 off the lands . 92 grains of h1000. Start low work up from there.
I have a 30" 1/10 twist mcgowen

I love my 300 ultra.loaded over a 1000 rds,all kinds,in the end went to Barnes 168,went with retumbo,tryed imr7828 also good.Scirocco bullets are also very good.everything goes down.barnes 168 perform at 20yard to 500yrds.smacks everthing including your shoulder.the price you pay.and you will pay,all those Rocket loads are hard on that barrel.

Hello Gents, I'm new on here and would just like to say this is a great forum!! I have a Rem 700 in 300 RUM topped off with a leupold VX III 4.5x14x40 CDS. My go to load for elk is a 200gr Accu-bonds, it hits them hard! It loves 94.5gr of Retumbo and Remington primers. good luck

Thanks guys for the replies. I've been able to find everything but the Accubond LR bullets. I called Nosler and they say last time they shipped them out was last may? Anyway I have an elk hunt this fall so I might be grabbing the heavy VLD and trying those out? Although I'm not seeing alot of those around either.

I agree with using at least a 200 gr bullet. I shoot the nosler 200 gr accubond out of my 30-378 with excellent results. I have not been able to get ahold of any lr accubonds but will try those when I can.

Back