.19 Badger?

coyotewillie

Anyone tried one of the Calhoon .19 Badgers yet? I've been thinking about getting a small caliber rifle, namely a .17machIV. But the .19 Badger looks interesting. I've been going to call and get a price and options but wondered if anyone else had one to get an opinion from. Thanks Greg

I can't say on the badger but just this past Fri I ordered a rebarrel kit from James Calhoon in 19-223 The Badger should be a blast as well..........

Does any one know what case the 19 Badger is based on? I was on Calhoon's website and looked at the info on the Badger but can't find any place that tells me what case he bases it on. I'm in the process of building a 17 Mach IV and had pretty much decided to look at a 19-223 next but after looking at the picture of the Badger I'm not so sure now. It sure is a cute little thing.

CW,
I have a .19 Badger. It is based one the .30 M1 Carbine case. The power falls between the .19 Calhoon (Hornet) and the .19-223.
I have only shot mine about 100 times but I can say that it is more accurate than the .19-223 and the .19 Calhoon.
I have a feeling this is going to be my main 'chuck rifle this season.
When i spoke to Jim at Calhoon i had him build the rifle on the 527 CZ action with a maple stock. Awesome to say the least. Will keep you posted on this rifle. I do not hunt 'chucks until May 30 so that the young ones can fend for themselves.
Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff

What kind of groups and velocities are you getting with the 19 Badger? From your earlier post I am assuming you have the 19-223 and/or 19 Calhoon. I'm wondering how case forming compares, do you need a special set of dies or is the process as straight forward as it is with the 19-223, and finally what about neck turning?

Thanks

Chuck,
Jim Leahy (read calhoon) does not reccomend forming your own case because of problems with the neck I believe. I bought 500 cases from him. I also bought 100 rounds of "factory" ammo with the rifle. The cost was very reasonable. I don't remember off-hand. I will see if I can find the invoice.
I have not run any chrono. tests yet. The published velocities are about 3500 FPS with the 32 gr. bullet.
Typical 3 shot groups at 100 yds. are about 1/4-3/8" with Calhoon factory loads and my hand loads.
I have a .19 Calhoon and the .19-223. Love all three, but I think the Badger is going to be my favorite.
I will let you know how this cartridge progresses with more experience with it.
Take care,
Jeff

Jeff,

I've got a Ruger M77 Mark II in 223, and was curious about the calhoun cartridges. Would like to have something different, but not too excited about the 204 or 17's. Would like to have something with low recoil, but still have good knockdown power. I mostly use the rifle for calling coyotes. Would like to get an opinion from someone with firsthand experience.
Thanks for any info,
Kevlars

Thanks for the replies guys! Just got back on site since I posted last nite. Jeff, sounds like a good round. I've been wanting a small cal. and thought about the 17AH too, but I really didn't care for a rimmed case. Thats why I thought I'd go with the Mach 4. Then I read about the Badger and thought it looked like the way to go. Looks like I'll have to call Calhoon! Keep us posted...I'd like to hear how it works on chucks. Greg

Jeff
Thanks for your information, it sounds like a great little round. Keep us posted on the 19 Badger. I am quite interested in this cartridge as my next project.

Yes that is a nice looking rifle.

I was hoping you would recognize those Jeff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Chuck,
The .19 badger brass is $22.70 per 100 from calhoon. That is ready to load.
It is a fair price to me and I don't have to do anything to it except load it.
Kevlars,
The .19-223 is just about duplicates the .204 ballistically. (or shall I say the .204 duplicates the .19-223 since the .19-223 was here first)
Easy to form the brass, just run it through the size die and fire-form. This should be a very easy conversion to do.
Give James a call at 1-406-395-4079 or www. Jamescalhoon.com
CW,
The Badger was brought out because it is rimless. There can be trouble feeding the .19 Calhoon ( Hornet ) round through a clip because of the rim.
I will keep you guys posted.
Jeff
Jeff

How is the 19-223 accuracy wise?I know thee are alot of variables but generally is it one that needs little to no tweaking to get the accuracy... Inherent accuracy????

WE,
Of the three .19's I own the .19-223 is least accurate. That is not to say it is inaccurate. it will shoot 1/2" groups all day, but it is not the tack driver that the Badger or .19 Calhoon is.
All three rifles have the same 'scope setup so that is not a factor.
Jeff

Jeff,

How about recoil in the three Calhoun cartridges? Which of the three is the most powerful?

Like I said, I have a Ruger M77 Mark II in 223, would that be a candidate for rechambering to 19-223 or 19 Badger?

Thanks Jeff,
Kevlars

19calJeff,

Have you shot any coyotes with your 19 Calhoons? Has anybody shot coyotes with them? I would be curious to know how the 19 Badger would work on coyotes. With that kind of accuracy and low recoil it sounds like they would be fine calling rifles.

Truckeedan

Kevlars,
There is hardly any recoil in the .19 Badger, none to speak of in the .19 Calhoon, and very little in the .19-223. All of them allow you to see your hit on the target.
The .19-223 is the most powerful of the three; the .19 Calhoon the least powerful.
Truckeedan,
I have not hunted anything but groundhogs with the .19 Calhoon and the .19-223.
I get the Badger too late last year to hunt with it. I can hardly wait until Memorial Day to use the Badger. The .19-223 is awesome at long ranges on the 'chucks. If I keep my shots to under 250 yds. the .19 Calhoon is great.
Jeff

Jeff
When you talk about not being accurate @ .5" I had to laugh I would be totally happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif with a half an inch inaccurate
My candidate for the transformation is a cz 527 I am on pins and needles waiting for the barrel kit to get here

Back