Hornady Superformance in AR's???

gene10pntr

I was reading about Superformance on the Hornady site and it says if using less than a 20" barrel or mid-length gas systems it's possible to have pressure problems with the ammo and the gun not being in time when fireing unless using an adjustable gas block. Has anybody else read this? Has anybody experienced any problems like this using this ammo?

Over on the snipers hide forum there are quite a few guys that complain about the 308 superformance ammo and pressure problems. I have tried 204,223 and 243 without any problems but my 243 ar's have adjustable gas blocks. I am not sure about the barrel lengths that everyone was having problems with but i have seen posts about it quite a bit.

I've tried them in quite a few different calibers with no pressure issues, but have only got them to shoot decent out of my .223 AR's.

I shot the .223 Superformance ammo thru 4 different guns two being AR's one with a 20 inch barrel the other an 18 inch with no issues and the velocities were quite impressive.... as in I doubt you can do better with reloads as far as speed goes.

Originally Posted By: bryan hWhat about at 100yrd?

I switch to my shotgun when they get too far away........LOL, just kidding.

I've hit a coyote with a 40gr V-Max and dropped it in its tracks at a confirmed 347 yards by holding dead on with my 50 yard zero.

So there is no need to re-zero at any other range. If I can't get most coyotes within 50 yards before shooting. Then I am doing something wrong.

I've shot many boxes of 53g Vmax superformance out of my 16" Ruger SR 556. No pressure problems. It is a piston driven gun and I use a suppressor so none of this info really helps the average AR 15 shooter. It does shoot very well and gives them prairie dogs a little extra loft. I've found that it shoots at least an inch higher than 55g Vmax at 100 yards out of my gun. So...if you switch go resight your scope.

Originally Posted By: kctrapperMy preditor per suit shoots the 53 grain super performance lights out. A penny covered the last 3 shot group at 100 yards.

Same thing with my Rock Rivers ATH 18 inch barrel, a penny covers 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It groups so good that's all I use in the rifle.

I had a R25 in 243. I shot some Hornady 58 gr superformance ammo and experienced issues right off the bat. Popping primers and jamming. I switch to the federal ammo in 55 grain and never ever had one issue. I've read the info on hornadys sight, and it described the issue I had to a Tee.

Now on the side of superformance box for 204 it shows the same ballistics as the standard vmax so why pay more has anyone seen this.

Originally Posted By: bryan hNow on the side of superformance box for 204 it shows the same ballistics as the standard vmax so why pay more has anyone seen this.

I saw it on the 223 Rem's and it is different than the standard 223's.

Back