build the upper or buy it.

docjon2013

Hello everyone,
I am in the process of getting a 6.5 grendel. I was going to build it myself, but am having second thoughts. I just ordered a type 1 bolt for it but that is all I have so far for the upper. I need everything for the upper. I started to figure up the cost and I think getting it built for me would be in the same ballpark as far as price. What do you think?

Thanks
Jon

Have you found any barrels? I looked at the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC about 3 years ago but went with the 6x45 instead. Now I got that itch again.

Originally Posted By: NightvisionaryHave you found any barrels? I looked at the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC about 3 years ago but went with the 6x45 instead. Now I got that itch again.

How do you like the 6x45? I'm at the point where my next step is to purchase a barrel but I can't decide what caliber to go with. I already have a 5.56.

Originally Posted By: cdubya_38Originally Posted By: NightvisionaryHave you found any barrels? I looked at the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC about 3 years ago but went with the 6x45 instead. Now I got that itch again.

How do you like the 6x45? I'm at the point where my next step is to purchase a barrel but I can't decide what caliber to go with. I already have a 5.56.

It's a great round and components are nearly always available. I can shoot up to 90 grain and even a few 95 grain bullets through my AR. My 20 inch AR Stoner barrel gets 2750-2800 fps with 85-87 grain bullets. It's super easy to reload for, even easier than 300 Blackout. It seems to ring steel plates noticeably harder than 5.56 and even 300 Blk.

After reading about the Grendel for the last week it sounds like it's a more challenging caliber. Components are harder to find and brass isn't cheap. There is also the inherent weakness of the Grendel bolt since it is an AR bolt with material removed to accept a larger case head. In spite of all that it really has me interested. I just know putting one together and keeping it running won't be nearly as cheap and easy as the 6X45.

Last edited:
BUILD!!!
Sure, you may not save anything building it, but if you buy complete and then decide to swap handguards, then the build its now cheaper. Plus, you get everything you want and you can purchase the highest quality parts available.

Originally Posted By: NightvisionaryOriginally Posted By: cdubya_38Originally Posted By: NightvisionaryHave you found any barrels? I looked at the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC about 3 years ago but went with the 6x45 instead. Now I got that itch again.

It's a great round and components are nearly always available. I can shoot up to 90 grain and even a few 95 grain bullets through my AR. My 20 inch AR Stoner barrel gets 2750-2800 fps with 85-87 grain bullets. It's super easy to reload for, even easier than 300 Blackout. It seems to ring steel plates noticeably harder than 5.56 and even 300 Blk.

After reading about the Grendel for the last week it sounds like it's a more challenging caliber. Components are harder to find and brass isn't cheap. There is also the inherent weakness of the Grendel bolt since it is an AR bolt with material removed to accept a larger case head. In spite of all that it really has me interested. I just know putting one together and keeping it running won't be nearly as cheap and easy as the 6X45.

Thanks for the input. I'm assuming it uses the same BCG and mags as a 5.56? Is 6x45 pretty much limited to reload only or is there anyone out there that makes factory 6x45? I'm looking for something to use for whitetail here in VA. I was thinking 6.8, then 300AAC, now I'm interested in the 6x45. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSI say build too. I just built one and it was easy.

Specs on that barrel if you don't mind me asking. Looks nice.

It's a McGowan hand lapped 1:8 twist 18" barrel chambered in 223 Wylde. .75" contour then I had if spiral fluted the whole length.

It's a McGowan hand lapped 1:8 twist 18" barrel chambered in 223 Wylde. .75" contour then I had if spiral fluted the whole length.

How you like that Mcgowen barrel; Does it shoot good?

Sure like the twist let use know if it shoots as good as it looks. Just got a Wilson combat 204 and it was lapped also cleans easily looks really good...

Originally Posted By: cdubya_38Originally Posted By: NightvisionaryOriginally Posted By: cdubya_38Originally Posted By: NightvisionaryHave you found any barrels? I looked at the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC about 3 years ago but went with the 6x45 instead. Now I got that itch again.

Thanks for the input. I'm assuming it uses the same BCG and mags as a 5.56? Is 6x45 pretty much limited to reload only or is there anyone out there that makes factory 6x45? I'm looking for something to use for whitetail here in VA. I was thinking 6.8, then 300AAC, now I'm interested in the 6x45. Any thoughts?

All you need is a barrel. Everything else is standard 5.56 parts. I think CorBon was loading ammunition for it but it's pretty much a reloaders round since it is not SAAMI standardized. It will shoot flatter than the 300 Blackout but both are great for deer.

Well I have went with a bolt gun in 17 rem I am having built. I am just a bolt guy I guess. I do have a type 1 bolt coming to my house that I have no need for. I will sell it for what it cost me plus shipping. When I get it I will let you guys know.

Thanks
Jon

Back