Something is wrong with my stands!

lady yote,

keep at it, I remember the first coyote I called in, never got a shot off I was mesmerized at the sight of one in the wild answering a call, it took a year till I got a shot at another and I pooched that one. we all react to death and suffering differently and to each his/her own I don't think a bunny will be the same as a coyote but they are good practice and need to be controlled as well. if you make a clean shot and all ends well that might build a false sense that all is good, till you make a bad shot and have to trail one and finish it, and at that point you will understand that you need to do your part to the upmost out of respect

keep at it and have fun

Some guys go out in the very early morning and play a locator call and when they get a response they go back just before dawn and call that area. That is just too much work for me. Over the years I have identified areas that I know hold coyotes so I usually just try to go to these locations just before dawn and call. I use a Fox-Pro Fury and occasionally hand calls. This time of year I will start out with a lone howl or two and then go quite for a few minutes. If nothing shows I will switch to one of several rabbit distress calls. At some point I always play some pup distress. There are differences of opinion on whether to call continuously or to go silent between calls. I tend to call continuously except for the few minutes of silence after the initial howls. Here where we hunt you seldom get a response to your howls....they just kind of show up to see what is going on. Most stands we call for 30 minutes but have stayed for as long as an hour. I have not kept records but just from recollection It seems we have a lot of coyotes show up around the 18-22 minute mark. I hunt with a partner about 95% of the time and one of us always is positioned to see the downwind field of fire. Just always be aware of where your scent cone is and take the shot before they get there. If you see one moving and you have a clear shot you can bark at it and they will usually stop to look. You have somewhere between 2-3 seconds to pull the trigger. Also if one comes in and gets spooked and is running away....stay in your gun because there is a pretty good chance it will stop and do a "lookback". When you get set-up always have your gun up and in position so you don't have to move it into shooting position when one shows up. If you will Google predator university http://www.predatoruniversity.com/predu/Predator_Calling_DVD.html and order the DVD "so you want to be a predator caller" it will shorten your learning curve substantially. It is more than just watching someone else shoot coyotes. He really goes into educating you on do's and dont's. Good luck....it is definitely an adrenaline rush when it happens.

Lady yote I will try to tell you a few things trying to help you.
one of the first things a non hunter will say to a hunter is I don't think I could shoot an animal if I have the chance. what makes a novice think they will get the opportunity to shoot if they go out and try.
the coyote is one of the smartest animals to hunt and his sense of smell is second to none so when
approaching a spot to hunt you should approach it with the wind in your face.
it is a good stand that has some elevation so one can see over the calling area and it helps to scout these areas out so if the wind is correct you can call from them.
when you select a few spots to call from try to get there first thing in the morning, it is my most productive time and knowing my stands I walk in the dark to a pre selected spot.
there will be lots of dry stands and when you have a coyote appear you will have quite a rush.
I hope some of the things said here will help. spike

Back