CVA Accura Mountain Rifle

RockyMtnHunter

After sorting out some problems, I got everything shooting clean and perfect. A nice cool cloudy day helped me as I was kept busy messing with breech plugs and adjusting headspace a few times before finding my problem. I did aprox 50 strokes with Remington 40x bore cleaner to remove factory greases/oils and to smooth out any unseen. Applied Bore Coat and it set up perfect and cleans up super super easy. I never had an issue cleaning BH209 so the main importance for coating it was for rust protection on the inside, where it matters most.
Installed Durasight one piece rail and then dropped on the SeeAll open sight, adjusted it to where it felt right and tightened it down. Rifle looks real sharp now! Its a Colorado gun so that SeeAll was a must have for this rifle design due to the high cheek comb and the fact the barrel is not drilled/tapped for open sight screws.

Wiped the barrel down with the RIG Rag to help add some protection and prevent any scratches that may happen on the range or in the woods.
It gave the barrel a better overall feeling rather than that dry feel, helps keep stains off too.
One thing I will NOT use is that palm saver, it rubs up against the barrel finish and that just is not a good thing to have. It sticks out past the muzzle aprox 1/4" and after seeing a member on at my place with his split in half from the bullet hitting it, I won't be using it any time soon.
100gr Blackhorn209, 300gr Powerbelt Aerolite, CCI 209 Magnum primers, 50 yards. First 3 low shots to the left were my first 3 at 50 yards, Adjusted and took 12

Looks like you got it dialed in I really like blackhorn 209 really a clean powder. Our family all shoot CVA's Mother in law and wife's uncle both shoot Accura V1 both rifles are tack drivers. She shoots shockey gold powder and 250 grains hornady sst's. He shoots BH209 and barnes 290grain TEZ's. They both took elk in Colorado about 5 years ago with them. I run an optima with bh209 and 300grain 45cal 300grain xtp. My boss shoots the same bullet that your using with white hot pellets out of his optima.

Update from 100 yards this time:

A little windy but nothing to serious. I did have to pick up the target board 3 times from blowing over but no biggy.

100 yards
100gr BH209
CCI 209 Mag primers
300gr Powerbelt Aerolite

Just some better pictures of the rifle since the others were not that great,

Cool down was very important today as the weather was quite warm. So warm I can water my Rye plot.

ive got the very same rifle.. mine shoots the sabots alot better then it does the powerbelts..i shoot 100 grs of triple 7 loose powder and just about every sabot ive tried shoots better than the powerbelts. also, i do clean after every shot. mine gun is scary accurate.. love it

On my Optima they make a breech plug for blackhorn 209. The factory one will light off T7 and Pyrodex and the like but BH209 is a little tougher to to light. The new breech plug has a shorter flame channel
As for the head space, in the picture showing the firing pin you can adjust the slotted bushing out to get a tighter fit against the primer ends when the barrel is closed to eliminate any blow by. They make a shim kit for it

Last edited:
Yep the shims they sell work perfect for this mod. CVA doesnt support it but then again, no firearm company supports modifications either.

Forgot to add that I did a breech plug cut away so I could measure the gap between the primer and face of the firing pin bushing on a factory gun, they leave between .011" - .012" gap which is why blow by is so bad on a factory set up.

This is how CVA recommends you shoot their rifles when they come out of the factory.

Same gun after adjustment,

Last edited:
My rifle was the same before I adjusted it. I used white teflon plumbers tape on the firing pin bushing threads. Adds just enough friction to keep in place once its set.

Last edited:
RMH recommended the shim kit to me. Called CVA and they set me one, now it shoots clean! I still need to get the breech plug for the BH 209.

Last edited:
Back