Anyone got this gun safe ?

I don't care how much you spend, anything that you buy is better than not having your guns locked up. Buy it and if you buy something better in the future, keep the old one for locking up some of your other hunting equipment or as ammo storage.

I think if depends on your intended purpose...I have four of the Stack On models...Two for rifles and two for handguns...My main intent was diversified security so that all my firearms were not in one place as well as keeping them inaccessible to my kids/grandkids when the little ones are visiting...

At the time I acquired them, I had numerous firearms and was limited in what I could afford to spend and since our home was rarely unoccupied, a single higher dollar safe just wasn't justified...If we were going to be gone for any extended period of time, I had the largest one set up on rollers and it was hidden in a special alcove with a false wall covering it...It would hold everything that was really important and the smaller ones were left with the few 'junk' items, just in case..

I think if there's enough room for your guns, it would be a great safe. I don't have the exact model, but do have a stack on one close to it, in black. Got it for a heck of a deal from "shipping damage" to the store. Unless you are targeted by some high tech criminals who know what you have, that will be plenty good enough. To fend off any normal criminals, which even those chances seem very unlikely, it'll do.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannI don't care how much you spend, anything that you buy is better than not having your guns locked up. Buy it and if you buy something better in the future, keep the old one for locking up some of your other hunting equipment or as ammo storage.

+1.

That's what I did, after buying a new safe I turned my stack-on into an ammo cabinet by adding 3/4" ply shelving.

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhOriginally Posted By: RiflemannI don't care how much you spend, anything that you buy is better than not having your guns locked up. Buy it and if you buy something better in the future, keep the old one for locking up some of your other hunting equipment or as ammo storage.

+1.

That's what I did, after buying a new safe I turned my stack-on into an ammo cabinet by adding 3/4" ply shelving.

This.
I had that model but with A 4 sided key lock. Mine isn't fire rated and they are cheap but still better than nothing.
I also turned mine into ammo storage when I upgrade.

My rule of thumb for gunsafes is that if I can lift its weight, you might as well be buying a simple steel cabinet and save yourself some money. I'm honestly of the opinion there's a gap in price where safe's just shouldn't be bought, as the products in that don't offer any more protection than a simple steel cabinet, but cost more.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with not buying a cadillac safe that costs $5,000 and weighs 2,000lbs with a 3" thick vault door, but I don't see much point in buying a $400 safe that doesn't offer any additional protection over a $200 cabinet. I have two double door Stack-On cabinets that were my firearm storage for many years before I could buy a proper safe, now one stores ammo, the other stores whatever it is that my wife is putting in "hers" these days.

One thing I like about OT's stack on is that it DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A GUNSAFE! It just looks like a cabinet. Granted, if someone is coming into your house and prepared to tackle a locked cabinet or safe, as opposed to just stealing your TV, they probably know exactly what you're looking for (hence I don't have my safe in a part of the house that any service professional would ever use, nor do I give them access to that area when I do have service calls for plumbers, furnace, electricians, etc). But if a guy that came in after my TV DOES see a safe/cabinet, there are pry bars in my own garage, maybe they take a crack at it.

Not grabbing attention is important to me also.

Originally Posted By: Bluecoyote1730Stack On

Model # SS-16-MG-C-DS

It's not the best, but for something temporary till a better one comes along, It doesn't look that bad.

I was in the same boat as you a couple years back. Not having a ton of cash to throw at a real high end safe I ended up going with a similar model as the one you list just the 19 gun version. IMHO, it is in fact a decent buy for the price point. The video that was posted has some very good information in it. like the video said door gap is a big part of making a safe pry resistant. the stack on I have has very little door gap at all and would be quite hard to get a pry bar in it. there is the possibility of a small bar going in and then after its bent open a larger one to finish the job. I also have mine bolted to the wall so that it cant be tipped over for better leverage. Another thing that I think helps is having the hinges on the inside. that way they cant be cut off. another good thing to have is a safe with bolts on more than one side of the door. all the way around would be the best.

The stack on safes are not considered very high end but for the money I feel like it will do a decent job. Like anything though, if someone wants your stuff they will get it one way or another. When funds and space allow I will upgrade to a very heavy duty higher end safe with fire protection. When I bought mine a big concern was the weight because I lived in an apartment on the 3rd floor. It would not be wise to put a 1500lb safe on anything but concrete.

Back