New toys

Odin6

So I'm going to be getting a good chunk back from me tax refund and I'm going to be looking for two or three new guns. I have the 270 so if I get a rifle it will be something a little more fur friendly for the yotes. I'm mainly in the market for a shotgun and pistol. I know it's going to come down to what feels good to me but I'd like everyone's advice on what I should look for and prices and the best places to look for them.

I don't want anything cheap unless its a good deal for a quality gun but I'm looking for quality all together but not too expensive either I'd like to keep it around the $1500.00 range for 3. Something I'll eventually be able to pass down to my son when he's of age and if he's interested in shooting or hunting.

So is the .270win the only firearm you have?

For what I'd look at, even at the bottom end, I can't buy a rifle for $1500, since "buying a rifle" actually means "buying a rifle, mounts/rings, and scope", if not more, like a trigger.

So that'd put me firmly into the shotgun and handgun market.

In that case, sadly, ONE of the two shotguns I want would have to be used to get either of them for $1500. Suppose I could forego the Benelli SBEII or the M4 and pick up a Versamax instead, save a little coin (what $1100ish these days, I kinda like the green smoke "zombie" version).

Handguns, hmm, it'd ultimately depend what you have already. Lately I'm eyeing another S&W 629 (never should have sold mine, Kiz has me wanting another one), but they're not for everybody. If you don't have any handguns, then a Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark .22lr would be on my list for you, then maybe a Ruger revolver in .357mag or .44mag for hunting.

Hadn't really thought about it until this thread. Wouldn't have ever guessed that I can't think of any 2 guns I actually want that I could get for less than $1500.

Yeah the .270 is the only firearm I have left sadly. My old collection was stolen and it consist of a Remington 1100, 800 express both 12 gauge, ruger 22 lr, and a old .45 llama. So I'm trying to rebuild a new collection and the only one I'd really care to have back out of those would be the 1100 but I don't think I'll find one for what I want to pay at the moment. I might splurge and spend around 2,000 but that's the highest I want to go for all I'm gonna get. I'm gonna get the old lady a little .380 for her birthday too so I'm going to have to do some shopping but I'm confident ill be able to get what I want for that price. I'll update everyone on what the end result is in about 6 weeks.

My advice would be to find a nice new or used Rem 700 in either 22-250 or 223,(I have a 22-250 bolt) you can top the gun off with a nice Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster scope for an extra $350 and you should be able to stay in the $1500 range Good luck on whatever you find.

How about a Savage model 11 in 243, it can be found as a package deal for around $500-$550 with a Bushnell or Nikon scope, not the best optics but it would work till you saved enough or hit next years tax check to buy a better scope. As far as the 1100 goes you should be able to find a used one for $500-$600 or watch for a sale on the 11-87, I picked my 11-87 up for $650 on sale with a rebate from Remington for $50 making it $600. Just need to shop around and watch for sales.
This is doable.

The Savage 11 or Axis is a good starting point. The accu-trigger isn't bad on them. Burris FF2 scopes are pretty good for the money too. I went from a Mossberg 535 to a Stoeger 2000 and I really like it. I use it for turkey and coyote hunting and haven't had any troubles with it. Haven't tried it with lighter loads or flying critters. I'd say you can buy all three guns and stay within your budget. The main thing is doing the research and finding the value.

You didn't specify what you want to use the guns for, doing so would sure help folks make intelligent recomendations. Any particular shooting sports interest or certain game you want to hunt? I see your location is Ohio, my home state, so for hunting, especially with a rifle, there are only certain rifles that are useful, and your existing .270 really isn't one of them other than as a range toy or an over-powered varminter.

For a useful rifle, I'd be looking at a .223 for coyotes & varminting, if you got it in an iron sight capable AR you could also likely get involved in CMP shoots, as well as having a supurb defensive weapon. There is also a proposal going through the ODNR approval process now that may allow a rifle in certain straight wall chamberings to be used for deer hunting in the future. The specifics of the proposal are available at the ODNR website if it's of interest to you, and it's supposed to be voted on April 9th I believe.

For a useful handgun, if you want to use it for deer hunting it has to have a barrel of at least 5" and be chambered in a straight wall cartridge of .357 or larger. For CCW, home defense or other use other considerations such as size may arise and take precedence. For a .380 for your wife the new Glock 42 sounds like a superb choice, not the smallest available, but small enough to be easily concealable while being large enough to shoot well and maintain the legendary Glock reliability.

For a useful shotgun your interests once again can dictate which one migh serve best. I find I like two shotguns for my uses, a short barreled semi-auto with ghost ring sights for shooting slugs & buckshot for varmints & defensive use and a long barreled O/U for hunting and clay shooting.

If you sort out what your needs and priorities are for the guns you want to buy I think it will be much easier to make a good choice for which particular guns will serve you best.

1.) Ruger American in 223 with a redfield scope
2.) Remington 870, awesome shotgun
3.) ruger gp100 in 357, shoot 357 or 38.

True there are better choices, but these are economical, and ammo for these are common. I picked these for mainly hunting/shooting and regular use.

D.j. Mac

Anything besides the pistol is going to be used for hunting. I've thought about the AR 15 and its definitely something I'm interested in but from I've seen it's out of my price range if I want the pistols and a shotgun. She's talked a lot about the .380 so I think that's what I'll get and she's not my wife but might as well be I just don't see the point in paying all that money just to put a name on it not to put down anyone who is married but that's my opinion. Anyways as far as the pistol goes for me I want it for self defense and target shooting.
Thanks for the help

Look at the Weatherby shotguns, they are made in turkey but it's a good quality factory and they make other shotguns for other manufacturers as well. I have a PA-456 20" pump, with chrome barrel, changeable choke system and nice ghost ring sites mounted on a Pic rail on top of the reciever. $475ish and I bought a SA-08 auto loader with synthetic stock, chrome barrel, and a nice piston system so you can shoot light dove loads and heavy 3" mag loads as well, for about the same price. Find a local dealer and go check them out, very well made and feel really solid. As for pistols, anything Rugar puts out is as good as they get for the price.

My picks for the budget you have to work with would be:
-Ruger American, .223 with decent $200-300 scope, about $550-$650
-Glock pistol in your choice of size & caliber for you, ~ $500 to $600
-Glock 42 .380 for girlfriend, $400 though you may have to wait to get one
-a good used shotgun that suits you wants for the balance of your budget. Shotguns are usually very available and at good prices in often NIB or LNIB condition, especially when your looking for working guns, not show pieces. Glocks are also available used at significant savings and the darn things almost never wear out.

The above guns would give you a very nice collection with a lot of capability while staying within the $2000 budget you set.

Originally Posted By: d.j.macMy picks for the budget you have to work with would be:
-Ruger American, .223 with decent $200-300 scope, about $550-$650
-Glock pistol in your choice of size & caliber for you, ~ $500 to $600
-Glock 42 .380 for girlfriend, $400 though you may have to wait to get one
-a good used shotgun that suits you wants for the balance of your budget. Shotguns are usually very available and at good prices in often NIB or LNIB condition, especially when your looking for working guns, not show pieces. Glocks are also available used at significant savings and the darn things almost never wear out.

The above guns would give you a very nice collection with a lot of capability while staying within the $2000 budget you set.

Good suggestions; I think 223 Remington too for rifle choice, for ease of finding and cheaper ammo.
I have seen used Glock pistols in various caliber for $400
then for .380 the KelTec is a decent buy $250 ?
heck he might even have enough left for a new 1187

I would echo ChefPierre's choices, but would add another suggestion or two. Thompson Center has a $75.00 rebate on Ventures right now. I picked up a 204 Ruger that shoots under a half-inch, (although I agree a 223 or 22-250 would make more sense for you)for around $400 (less $75). Several places just had Nikon Coyote scopes for $200, although that sale appears to be over. If you can use a semi-auto handgun for hunting, the Glock's are a great choice, otherwise the Ruger 357 (if you really want to be able to go handgun hunting). If you really liked your old 45, Para has a $100 rebate out now. I'd encourage your significant other to shoot several handguns and maybe give her a couple of small 9mm's to shoot. The Ruger LCP 380 I have stings the hand of all that have shot it. It's small and narrow (great for in your pocket)but is sharp. My Kahr 9mm is not much bigger, has much better sights, and recoil is much more tolerable. Same for the baby Glocks Additionally, 9mm ammo is much cheaper than most 380 ammo I find. Both of which might encourage her to shoot more/enough to become proficient (assuming she doesn't shoot a lot now).

Thank you for the suggestions. Yeah she had never shot a gun until we got together and shes been wanting to get into the pistol club ever since so I thought it would be a good thing for us to do together. (Not sure if there's really a pistol club. Not actually called pistol club anyway.) I've been considering a bow too. It used to be a passion of mine but I've never had anything that was of quality.

Back