Baiting

Great job Deerslyr1. That's some good activity all at once.

Things remain slow here with the exceptions of possums and skunks.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Great job Deerslyr1. That's some good activity all at once.

Things remain slow here with the exceptions of possums and skunks.

Thanks....should also mention I had a skunk come in last night too which is odd up this way in middle of winter but we did have 3 days in the mid 40's. So I guess they came out for a bit.
I have a feeling it will be slow for a while now....hope not

nice going deerslyr1 -- looks you got them to turn on the red sprinkler system.
no shooting here but things are picking up. tracks are showing up more frequently and the bait pile was hit last night for the first time in 7 weeks. tracks say its it coyote --pulled a deer leg bone out from under the snow and left it out in the field. hopefully i can get a few shots in the next couple days and drop a few ... it has been a long while.

Dreamer, try putting some cracked corn around the bait site to bring the birds. I have never had luck on baits until the birds arrive in fairly good numbers unless its a fresh gutpile. I think they smell the fresh kill and respond.

Scott

Congrats deerslyr1.
I am still sitting long hours without firing a shot. I saw one last Wednesday at 9:50 am. He came in from a ridge above, started towards the bait anwhen the 20 crows spooked so did he and he headed for cover

I have a fox hitting the bait once a week and that's about it. The season closed on the 15th.

Deerslayer1, who wouldn't love pics of red snow???? That's awesome!!! Nice job!!!

Thanks for the complements guys. Interesting to note last weekend I saw a increase in bird activity. And also I gave all 3 to my buddy that saves and sometimes sells fur as I had a cold and didn't really want to deal with them and he sent me a text this am telling me that the male had been peppered with bird shot! Now this area is very wilderness and not any bird hunting around. But about a month ago there was a group of guys around that were hunting coyotes with dogs and they all use shotguns....I suspect this one got away. Could also be why the have been very leary/ to come into the bait this year.

OK because you guys liked the red snow pic so much and because I'm bored here's one more pic. That's my camp in the back ground where I made the shot from......

Well I had a bald eagle and two ravens in a tree eye balling the bait but did not touch it. A few Hrs later a bsld eagle was on the bait. Ist time there has been any bird activity on the bait since mid Nov. Hope that means things are looking up. Dreamer

Hi im new in here and live in Norway is there any one that can help me?
I need a dummy guide for modding my driveway patrol is there any one that can load opp pictures and som info step buy step how to do it?
I wanna have so i can control the volume and use headset to it..

Thanks for the help....

I saw my first predator in a long time today.Looked out and saw a bobcat sitting there lifting one paw and then the other.He looked half starved to death and cold.It was 20 below and he sat there in the sun all afternoon.He would scratch at and chew on frozen meat,then go to sleep.Were going to have huge winter kill on everything but wolves this brutal winter.3-4 feet of snow on the ground,and more below zero temps than ever.Our turkeys will all be dead unless fed.The few deer we have are being slaughtered by wolves in the deer yards.Just plain brutal here.

Sorry to hear that Jmark. Sounds similar to what happened here in Maine 5 and 6 years ago. Some deer yards that hold hundreds and hundreds of deer were almost wiped out. Over 80% in some areas.
I hope spring comes sooner than usual for you this year.

I am in ny 13th day in my shack and 150th hour. Seen 2 coyotes. Both off about 400 yards. I did get to whistle an 87 grain VMax at one on Monday at 5:00 pm. Reddish, orangish smaller coyote. The other one I saw at 9:50 am.
Fresh bait seems to be the key this year here. After I put out beaver carcasses and butcher scraps beside the frozen deer activity picked up. Roughly 20 to 25 crows, 2 bald eagles and a golden eagle were making quite a racket for a few days and that's when I saw the daytime coyotes too. Fresh tracks the last 2 mornings proves they ate coming at night too. Gonna give it a rest after today. Drive 210 miles back home and get fresh bait

Back