6.8 trajectory with 50 yard zero

roky0702

I'm looking for a good zero distance for my 6.8 SPC shooting 110 V-max and 110 Sierra Pro Hunters (same weight, same trajectory I hope) out of a 16" barrel and using a 1-4x scope. I'm wanting something similar to the 50 yard zero on .223 which is also on again at 200...a good +/-3" zero distance since this will primarily be a thick woods/stalking/walking gun, but I still want to be able to take a longer shot if presented without holding over. Thanks.

Kyle

Last edited:
I apologize, I completely forgot about Nikon's Spot On program. It looks like a 50 yard zero would be -3" out to about 175 yards.

Last edited:
why not set the zero at 200 and then be ok at 50?

just because theory says that your bullet will be on again at 200 does not mean that in real life it will be. if your 50 yard zero windage is off by 1/4" at 50 yards, you are going to be off AT LEAST 1" at 200. if your 50 yard zero elevation is off by 1/4", at 200 yards it could be much more significant.

here is a site that i use: http://www.handloads.com/calc/ plug your info into that. or most reloading manuals have info for exterior ballistics.

sighting a rifle at 50 yards with the intent to shoot to 200 with a theoretical zero, is far from ideal!

Shooting on 4x with Burris' thick Tac30 ballistic reticle would be pretty tough to get small groups at 200. Or also what I'm looking at is a suggestion such as "sight in __" high at (50 or 100 yards) and you should be good with a 3" drop out to ___ yards". The majority of shooting distances will be less than 50 yards and I have several ranges near me so I figured that would be the best option. I'm just wondering if a 75 yard zero or something will extend the range for a 3" drop?

Last edited:
If you zero it at 50 and test it at 100 and 200 you might be surprised. Only testing it at the range will tell for sure.

I'm hoping that my AR15 will shoot good at 200 yards when it warms up and I can get out and shoot again. I sighted in the EOTECH at 50 and shot it at 100 and it was hitting pretty much exactly where I predicted it would hit. Windage was right on line with the bulls eye and the POI for a three shot group was about 1.5 to 2" high at 100 yards. I didn't have time to test it at the 200 yard range that day.

But I'm talking about a 223 caliber AR15 cal rifle not the 6.8 SPC II.

Originally Posted By: 6724why not set the zero at 200 and then be ok at 50?

just because theory says that your bullet will be on again at 200 does not mean that in real life it will be. if your 50 yard zero windage is off by 1/4" at 50 yards, you are going to be off AT LEAST 1" at 200. if your 50 yard zero elevation is off by 1/4", at 200 yards it could be much more significant.

here is a site that i use: http://www.handloads.com/calc/ plug your info into that. or most reloading manuals have info for exterior ballistics.

sighting a rifle at 50 yards with the intent to shoot to 200 with a theoretical zero, is far from ideal!

Back