6mm super lr.....

Yep... I have one. built on a Remmy trued action. Has a Brux 30" no taper barrel with a 1-8 twist throated for the 105's.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessNice.

What is the benefit of this case over the 6mm Rem? Curious.

Less case capacity.
tt2.gif

OK, the 6mm doesn't have a 30 degree shoulder, but it has
a nice long neck. A number of years ago, I decided to
re-barrel a Savage 16, that was a decent shooting 22-250 Rem.
into a .243/6mm something. I thought 243, 243 AI, 6mm Rem,
6mm AI, or a 6mm-284. I got a lot of opinions to consider,
but decided I didn't want to start fire forming, so the AIs
dropped off the list. I heard plenty of stories about 6mm-284
short barrel life. And I worked with a guy, that had a 243
do some load development, and wasn't fond of it's short neck.
So I re-barreled it in a 6mm Rem. I love the cartridge.
Fast, easy to find accurate loads, and it is relatively long
lived barrel erosion wise. Too bad Remington didn't see the
potential as a medium game rifle, and put a twist in their
first effort, to shoot heavy bullets. If they had, there
likely wouldn't be a 243 Win, short neck and all.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: SmokelessNice.

What is the benefit of this case over the 6mm Rem? Curious.

Less case capacity.
tt2.gif

OK, the 6mm doesn't have a 30 degree shoulder, but it has
a nice long neck. A number of years ago, I decided to
re-barrel a Savage 16, that was a decent shooting 22-250 Rem.
into a .243/6mm something. I thought 243, 243 AI, 6mm Rem,
6mm AI, or a 6mm-284. I got a lot of opinions to consider,
but decided I didn't want to start fire forming, so the AIs
dropped off the list. I heard plenty of stories about 6mm-284
short barrel life. And I worked with a guy, that had a 243
do some load development, and wasn't fond of it's short neck.
So I re-barreled it in a 6mm Rem. I love the cartridge.
Fast, easy to find accurate loads, and it is relatively long
lived barrel erosion wise. Too bad Remington didn't see the
potential as a medium game rifle, and put a twist in their
first effort, to shoot heavy bullets. If they had, there
likely wouldn't be a 243 Win, short neck and all.

Squeeze

Amen to that.

Funny though, after the 1-12 twist 244 Rem fiasco. All 6mm Rems have been 1-9 twist with little fan fare.

Love my 6mm Rem.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 1up5downYep... I have one. built on a Remmy trued action. Has a Brux 30" no taper barrel with a 1-8 twist throated for the 105's.

how dose it shoot..??... i have a lonely action just waiting to get barreled.... im really looking for something different, my buddy build a 6x47 lapua and a 6 xc, so im looking to counter with a oddball, and im thinking this is it..... if i can find dies.....

Originally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: 1up5downYep... I have one. built on a Remmy trued action. Has a Brux 30" no taper barrel with a 1-8 twist throated for the 105's.

how dose it shoot..??... i have a lonely action just waiting to get barreled.... im really looking for something different, my buddy build a 6x47 lapua and a 6 xc, so im looking to counter with a oddball, and im thinking this is it..... if i can find dies.....

Haven't shot it yet. Waiting for the ground to dry up a little. Barrel is basically brand new. Less than 10 rounds down the tube. The gentleman I purchased it from no longer has the time to put towards BR shooting so I took it off his hands. I have a friend over on the 6mmBR forum that has kills with his 6SLR in excess of 1000 yds. on ghogs.

I'll let you know how it does when I can get to the range.

this is the first time i havent jumped right in to something.... whatever i end up building is going to be my main stay deer rifle.. so im thinking 105s @ aprox 315o-3200

Originally Posted By: berger-kingthis is the first time i havent jumped right in to something.... whatever i end up building is going to be my main stay deer rifle.. so im thinking 105s @ aprox 315o-3200

I built it on a long action and just stuck with 243 Win. If it's good enough for him....

.243 Win For Tactical Comps
We asked GA Precision’s George Gardner why he chose .243 Winchester for his Tactical Comp Gun. He replied, “Why would I run anything else? Think about it. I’m sending a .585 BC 115 at 3150 fps–that’ll shoot inside the 6XC and .260 Rem with ease. I’m pretty sure I have found the Holy Grail of Comp Rifles. There are no brass issues like you can get forming .260 brass. I don’t have to worry about doughnuts, reaming necks–none of that. And the choice in brass is great too–run Lapua if you want max reloads and great accuracy. Run Winchester if you’re on a budget, and so you won’t cry if you lose some cases in a match. I can get 10-round mags, and feeding is 100% reliable, since the case is identical to a .308 except for the neck. Accuracy-wise, I don’t think I’m giving up anything to the .260 Rem or the 6XC.” We then asked George if he’d considered using a .243 AI instead: “Yeah, the cases look cool with that 40° shoulder, but I think the standard .243 feeds a little better. And I don’t think I really need the extra performance of an improved case. Run the ballistics for my load–115 moly DTAC at 3150 fps. You’ve got less windage than a 2950 fps 6.5-284, with cheaper brass, cheaper dies, cheaper bullets, and less recoil.”

If I could have all the stuff George has to build rifles and write it all off on expenses, I could tell you which one is the best aswell !

Barrel lenght, just enough twist to get it done,but make max speed etc....

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI can get 3150 with 105s in my 243AI.

And if one REALLY wants a bit more speed, a 6mm AI I think would do it...though a 243 AI does enough, for me anyways.

Back