What scale do you use?

KyleCoyote

Maybe i'm being a tightwad, but i am weighing every charge before i put it in a case (reloading .243). I weighted them all at 42.3, and then when i went back to weigh them all a 2nd time i am getting weights ranging from 42.8 to 42.1. I am making sure to get ALL the powder out of each case before I weight them, and I am not seeing any carbon residue coming out. I'm wondering if it's my scale or what. (Hornady 1500 digital scale)

Half a grain seems like a very big swing,that would be troublesome.
I use three type`s a lee beam, a Lyman DPS, and a frankford arsenal.
The frankford arsenal gets used quite a bit for load work up. The thing when I zero it and remove the pan, it has always reads -73.6 grains since the day I bought it a few or more years ago. It will however drift a little and I can tell when it does this by minding what the negative reading is w/pan removed...I just dump a pan here/there and rezero.

Originally Posted By: HookedHalf a grain seems like a very big swing,that would be troublesome.
I use three type`s a lee beam, a Lyman DPS, and a frankford arsenal.
The frankford arsenal gets used quite a bit for load work up. The thing when I zero it and remove the pan, it has always reads -73.6 grains since the day I bought it a few or more years ago. It will however drift a little and I can tell when it does this by minding what the negative reading is w/pan removed...I just dump a pan here/there and rezero.

I have a small frankford also and it seem to work just fine for my use. Like yours it can drift a grain or two after it has been on for awhile and I will shut it off and restart with a fresh zero then its fine. Someday I will probably end up with a chargemaster but too many other things I want to buy right now.

I have a digital scale, a Hornady, but I still use my RCBS 10-10. I use the digital for bulk loading on my Dillion, but for hunting rounds I use a single stage (Bonanza Co-ax) press and a beam scales. I feel that a good well made beam scales is more consistent than the digital, plus I don't need batteries for the beam scale.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: HookedThat little scale has been quite remarkable..think I paid 20 bucks for it on sale.

Probably the same one I have. think mine was $25-30 a year or 2 ago. I had checked it against a 5-0-5 for quite awhile but was always too close to tell any difference so I quit doing that and just use the E-scale now

I use a RCBS and a Gempro 250 for digital scales and a 1010 but mostly just use the beam scale to load at the range anymore, I check them all with RCBS check weights

Originally Posted By: KyleCoyoteMaybe i'm being a tightwad, but i am weighing every charge before i put it in a case (reloading .243). I weighted them all at 42.3, and then when i went back to weigh them all a 2nd time i am getting weights ranging from 42.8 to 42.1. I am making sure to get ALL the powder out of each case before I weight them, and I am not seeing any carbon residue coming out. I'm wondering if it's my scale or what. (Hornady 1500 digital scale)

The digital scales are know for their inaccuracy. I have a large "Good" one that is so inaccurate, that I only use it for sorting cases.

Get a good beam scale.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannStrange, I have not had any issues with my RCBS 1500.

Quote:The digital scales are know for their inaccuracy. I have a large "Good" one that is so inaccurate, that I only use it for sorting cases.

Get a good beam scale.

The 1500 I have is a Hornady digital scale. I did a little digging, and found that its been getting really bad reviews for my exact problem.

I used a beam scale last night, and it's working a lot better. I weigh my charges/components several times during the whole process of reloading (probably overkill). Last night i was able to get about 30 loaded and there were only 3 that read a slight difference difference and that was the completed bullet not just the powder. The powder was all +-.1 should have just used a beam all along i guess. I will never go back to a digital scale.

Other good news, i was able to locate 2lbs of IMR 4350 YESSSS!!!!

Originally Posted By: CritterAcresI got a 1010 that's at least 40 years old. It's never failed a check.

+ 1 on the 10-10 scales. I don't trust anything electronic when it comes to reloading.

I have been back and forth between my RCBS Rangemaster and 5-0-5 scale and find myself reaching for the beam scale more often than not. You can trust a good beam scale, but have to always double check the electronic scales!

Good news, my newest rounds are grouping alot better now that i am using my beam scale. I can get at least 4" at 400yds (ranged)

I may experiment with the Sierra Blitz, or Gamekings next. I just got 2lbs of IMR 4350 to work with. Any recommendations on other bullets?

I'm currently using the Hornady 1500 because it wasn't very expensive and I figured if Hornady has their name on it that it should be fine. I question it's reliability sometimes but it seems to work just fine. once I have a reloading room setup in our yet to be built home I'll more than likely buy a better more reliable scale.

I have a rcbs charge master 1500 and a hornady digital and a Dillion beam scale. I use the rcbs for load data that I already worked up and the beam scale for load development. Both the rcbs and the dillion reads identical once the rcbs is warmed up. But I trust the beam scale more for load development.

Back