necking up brass?

chefpierre

I am going to turn my 6.5x284 brass into 284 brass. Has anyone done this? I have never necked up brass before. Is there anything specific to pay attention to? This is what I know.
1.) Anneal
2.) Use a mandrel, (I don't have one), can I use 284 dies with a tapered expanding ball?
3.) Neck turn, is it necessary?, once again I don't have the equipment.
4.) Anneal
5.) Load and shoot

Any thoughts?

Ive only necked up .223 to 6mm and didn't need to do anything but run them in the die w/a tapered ball. Ive necked down more calibers and still didn't have to do any extra work.
Resizing either way I did spray the necks w/lube, tumbled cleaned, loaded & shot them.
When necking up, go slow so you can feel the work and don't split any of them.

Originally Posted By: chefpierreI am going to turn my 6.5x284 brass into 284 brass. Has anyone done this? I have never necked up brass before. Is there anything specific to pay attention to? This is what I know.
1.) Anneal
2.) Use a mandrel, (I don't have one), can I use 284 dies with a tapered expanding ball?
3.) Neck turn, is it necessary?, once again I don't have the equipment.
4.) Anneal
5.) Load and shoot

Any thoughts?

Yes...

1 - Yes.
2 - Yes, Redding makes a great tapered expander for this.
3 - No... not necessary. Most serious shooters have gotten away from neck turning and run close, (no turn) necks.
4 - Yes.
5 - Yes.

Originally Posted By: chefpierreWhen is neck turning a necessity? After several firing, or is it just a good practice?

Well, if you have good brass like Lapua or Norma, unless you are shooting 1000 yard benchrest, it is not necessary, and does damage to the case.

Five shot group at 100 yards, with NEW, UNFIRED, factory Remington cases - nothing done to them other than coning the flash holes and trimming..

Group is 0.143"

222MagBRriffle_zps3831fccb.jpg

Three shot group at 405 yards, with NEW, UNFIRED, factory Lapua cases - nothing done to them.

Group is 0.46"

M24Rifle046inchgroup-300.jpg

Relax and enjoy your rifle...

Typically you neck turn when necking brass down. The neck thickens, and sometimes you get necks that are thicker in spots. When you neck up, typically the neck shortens and thins, so neck turning isn't required.

And fwiw, I have necked up several cartridges and never saw the need to anneal. If the brass is new, I would just lube it well and see what happens. New brass is typically pretty soft (a lot of it is annealed anyway) and typically doesn't give you much trouble. You are only going up .010" all the way around. I have to believe the brass will expand that far without a problem, but I could be wrong. Just go slowly; there is no need to get in a hurry.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

The brass is not new. Fired about 6 times in my 6.5 x 284, 47 gr. of h4831sc. The rifle is going to be my 1000 yard f-open rifle. The new barrel is coming in on Thursday, a 7mm, 9 twist, 5r rifling bartlein, 33 inch blank, straight tube 1.25" straight tube. I just want to make sure my loads are as good as the rifle.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: chefpierreWhen is neck turning a necessity? After several firing, or is it just a good practice?

Well, if you have good brass like Lapua or Norma, unless you are shooting 1000 yard benchrest, it is not necessary, and does damage to the case.

Five shot group at 100 yards, with NEW, UNFIRED, factory Remington cases - nothing done to them other than coning the flash holes and trimming..

Group is 0.143"

222MagBRriffle_zps3831fccb.jpg

ooooh, that's an old floppy disk, I like that.

Three shot group at 405 yards, with NEW, UNFIRED, factory Lapua cases - nothing done to them.

Group is 0.46"

M24Rifle046inchgroup-300.jpg

Relax and enjoy your rifle...

6 times fired in a 6.5X.284 and you are going to use them on a new 1,000 yrd gun. Maybe just for practice. As for sizing up. I used to size up .223 brass to 7mm and had no problems. Just lube the expander ball or the inside neck of the cartridge and run them through the die.

Tom

Originally Posted By: MGYSGT
6 times fired in a 6.5X.284 and you are going to use them on a new 1,000 yrd gun.

Tom

They don't wear out, like old shoes and women...

I have moved match brass from one gun to the next, a number of times.

Originally Posted By: chefpierreMy concern is the "doughnut" that I hear about. Is the "doughnut" a myth???????? I'm probably overthinking this completely.

I don't see a doughnut happening from a .5mm neck up. I neck up 223 to 243 all the time, zero issues. I do like the longer, tapered expanders, though.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsThe "dougnut" is only a problem if you neckturn your brass not far enough.

Jack

That's funny I have a bunch of brass with donuts in some MANY times fired 6BR Lapua brass that have never been turned. Of course that's from flow & not sizing, but still; donuts are possible...

If you don't seat the bullet into the donut, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Although you would think that it might, because of the restriction of the neck at the donut.

tom

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTIf you don't seat the bullet into the donut, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Although you would think that it might, because of the restriction of the neck at the donut.

tom

+1

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: MGYSGTIf you don't seat the bullet into the donut, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Although you would think that it might, because of the restriction of the neck at the donut.

tom

+1

-1 times 10 !!!

The donut does nothing unless your bullet is running into it.

Back