Ruger American 223

RAR.223

Hello all I am new to the forum here with my first post. I just recently bought a ruger american in 223. I have not been able to find much on the american in 223 as far as range results go. I am not happy with the accuracy of the rifle as of yet. I have not fired any factory loads, but I have tried 8 different combinations/recipes using cfe223/55gr hornady vmax bullets/ fed SRP / Rem 7-1/2 and a few with 69 gr match burners. I am working out of my new hornady manual. I had great success with my mossberg MMR hunter using the 55vmx and cfe223. I don't know if I need to use a different powder or if my ruger just doesn't like vmax bullets? The match burners do ok but get really random fliers that are not seen with the vmax. Any help/suggestions would be great!

Last edited:
I always tray to stick with the bullet I want to shoot. So if you want to shoot that v-max then play around with some powders. I can usually find a sweet combo somewhere... But as for the Ruger American, I haven't heard very much on them either.

Jason

There could be one of several factors. Your gun might not like vmax bullets. How often are you cleaning your barrel in between shots? Are you using a copper removing solvent? The first thing I do with any of my Bolt action rifles is to make sure tye barrel is free floating and acra glass the action area and about an inch in front of the tang. Thirty bucks well spent and it normally guaranties half inch groups or getter if I do my part. I'd tell you to try some nosler ballistic tips first. They seem to shoot tighter than any bullet offerings in all my varmint rifles. Vmax bullets have always been finicky for me. I have to try several powders and work up n down in .2 increments to get one to shoot.

Last edited:
Yeah I would for sure play with a couple different powders. If that is the bullet you want to stick with. I think it is a good idea to try some nosler bullets as well. I have several friends that are running them and they all shoot very well for them. None in the 223 but in the 243 and 7mm-08.

Actually the .223 was supposed to come out this March, so there isn't really any inflow out on them yet. I didn't think they were available yet, so now I'm gonna go get one. If you don't mind, how much was it and did you get the standard barrell length.

I believe it's the all weather stainless coming out in march. I paid $322 on CTD.com I got the 22" standard barrel length. I had an issue with the magazine not loading the last round. Ruger sent me a new mag without asking any questions. It had the same issue. So since I had two mags I went mad scientist on one of them. Turns out it was applying too much tension on the sides of the round. I just shaved down the plastic ridges of the front plastic piece to match the rear and it works great! I think the tolerance on that part was just a bit much. Also any pressure on the forend and the stock will contact the barrel. That fix was simple to just some sandpaper around a long socket and some time fixed it. I'm going to try to stiffen the forend with some metal rods and a resin. I just don't like all the flex. Just a little pressure the wrong way and the forend will contact the sides as well.

I am not stuck on the vmax just had them on hand. I just want a good coyote/prairie dog bullet. I am thinking I will have more luck with heavier bullets due to the 1-8" twist rate.

Dont know about the 223 but I have one in 22-250 and one in 243. Both of them will shoot real good. Both have shot 5/8" groups

I would like to try Varget it is easily one of the widest used powders I have seen people speak highly of, however finding it here in AZ is a big problem. I have 4064, 2000MR, and superformance(originally bought for my 243 haven't found data on it for 223 so have not tried it)

A local gun shop had 25-30 1lb cans of benchmark. I will pick up a lb and try it.... If they still have any that was a week ago.

I've been very interested in this rifle ever since I seen the announcement that ruger was going to make them, reading and watching every review I could find, in one review they used a fiochii 55 grain bullet and got a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards with 5 shots. Not bad in my opinion but then again I don't figure they got a " off the shelf" rifle either..... I could be wrong though! I do hope that you can get your rifle shooting right or send it back to ruger and have them swap you for a better rifle
smile.gif

I've had best results in .223 with (in no order) 8208xbr, varget, benchmark, h322, and tac. My experience with hornady v-max slugs has always been sub par as far as accuracy goes and haven't really purchased any since. I would definitely buy a couple boxes of Sierra and nosler bullets in your preferred weight. About four or five years ago I picked up a Stevens 200 in 22-250 for cheap. I really had trouble getting it to consistently group under a inch with a dozen or so loads that were proven performers in other 22-250's. I finally figured out that barrel like coated bullets after I picked up three different weight winchester factory loads with the combined tech ballistic silver tips. I started moly coating more fur friendly slugs and finally got that gun shooting the way I wanted without modifying the rifle. I would definitely try some different powder and bullet combos before I gave up on that rifle especially if the gun cycles and functions well. If the magazine starts giving you fits again and you still haven't gotten it to group then throw her in the creek.
smile.gif

I had a Savage in .223 that hated any type of ball powder wouldn't shoot it worth a lick. Switched to stick powders and it shot "lights out". I have had great luck with Nosler ballistic tips in 55 and 60 grain in my Savage with 1/9 twist and 77 grain Nosler HPBT in my ars with 1/8 and 1/7 twist. I really like the 8208 xbr powder but have had good results with benchmark and varget as well.

Back