17 Hornet or 22 Hornet?

aubie515

So I'm looking at a 17 Hornet hard since I know someone selling one in a CZ.

After reading threads on the forum, I've noticed that crimped primer pockets is going to be a concern for the 17Hornet. I can buy the CZ with factory ammo...my concern is the crimped primer pockets as I've read folks having issues.

It also seems that forming 17Hornet brass from 22 Hornet brass isn't exactly simple.

So my biggest question is it worth it to go with newer 17 Hornet or stick with tried/trued 22 Hornet?

I'm looking for a caliber that can anchor a coyote. I live in an area in PA that only allows me to hunt with rimfire...so when I hunt my area in SEPA...I'll be sticking with my 5mm or 22 mag.

I want either a 22 Hornet or 17 Hornet for other areas that I'd be hunting in PA that allows centerfire.

I love the fact that 22 Hornet you can find new or once fired brass easily.

I've never owned or fired either Hornets, so I'm looking for some advice.

Is the range on the two calibers roughly 200 yards for coyotes?

for "anchoring" coyotes, something a little bigger is the ticket. 22-250 will truly "anchor" coyotes, 223 does pretty well. 22 hornet to me is more like a fox or bobcat round.

my 17 ackley hornet does NOT explode prairie dogs everytime, my 223 will.

I carry a .17 Fireball when I'm hunting fox and coyote which has a little more pop then the .17 Hornet. It's fine if you watch shot placement and hit the vitals or neck. But if you hit the front shoulder bone with the Fireball or the .17Hornet, you'll probably be tracking. I'd pick the .22 Hornet, keep the shots inside 150 yds., and still watch shot placement.

Last edited:
The crimped primer was only an issue on that first run of ammo. Any new production ammo and new brass probably won't have that issue.

Forming the brass isn't that hard, you just have to trim it before loading and firing since the 17 hornet case is shorter than the 17 Ackley or the stock 22 hornet.

You have to watch shot placement with either the 17 or 22 hornet and both have a limited range. If you were to go for the 17 hornet I would use a heavier 25gr bullet and stay away from the plastic tipped stuff like the vmax. You will get better penetration and performance with a hollow point bullet like the 25 Hornady or Bergers..(When they get back to making them)

With the right bullet the 17 could easily be as effective as a 22 hornet.

Well contrary to popular opinion the 22 Hornets I have used since 1991 anchor yotes just fine . Poor shooting or taking iffy shots is bad sportsmanship . Just cause they are yotes they deserve the same respect as any game animal. Take shots that are in range with your hornet and you will not be disappointed. Be sides you will be rewarded with a quiet report and a plesent shooting gun that won't wake everybody in the county.

Originally Posted By: RamjetWell contrary to popular opinion the 22 Hornets I have used since 1991 anchor yotes just fine . Poor shooting or taking iffy shots is bad sportsmanship . Just cause they are yotes they deserve the same respect as any game animal. Take shots that are in range with your hornet and you will not be disappointed. Be sides you will be rewarded with a quiet report and a plesent shooting gun that won't wake everybody in the county.

poor shooting and iffy shots?

sorry, but when i hunt coyotes i take just about any shot i can get. i have killed many coyotes with a 223 shot in the chest and it does not always "anchor" them. sometimes it does, but not always. the 22-250, it does EVERY time.

in real world hunting situations, "iffy shots" are the norm, very rare that a coyote comes in or stops broadside. so a quartering toward or frontal shot is common, as is an i'm outa' here quartering away or texas heart shot. a 22 hornet may well get the job done with best bullet selection, and perfect shot placement, it is NOT the best round for "anchoring" coyotes! the max distance for either of the above mentioned hornets is going to be far less than a round with more power.

shooting an animal with a round that will get the job done (margninal) instead of a round that will get the job done at extended distances with less than perfect shot placement (not marginal) , which is more ethical?

i think most people would rather take a round that they know will put down a coyote reliably even if they make a slight mistake on range or wind estimation, or if the coyote stops at 200 yards and will not come closer!

I don't know the lot # on the 17Hornet ammo...I'll be asking the seller to make sure it's not the primer issued lot#.

I'm not going to get a 22-250...I feel that it's too much for predators. I'm no predator expert, but I've seen a 22-250 tear up animals. I already have 223...only thing that 22-250 will do is offer me more velocity.

I haven't ruled out 17 Fireball, 17 Remington, but I like that the 22 Hornet has been around a while and I have a variety of rifles to choose from.

I would stay away from the 17 hornet for coyotes unless you are takeing head shots only. I have lost a few coyotes with the 22 hornet. It was more of a bullet issue more than shot placement.

Most lost coyotes will be because of shot placement. Most people are aiming center of body which is not where the vitals are. A lot dont even know where they aimed for sure. The Hornet will do the job just like any other caliber if shots are kept to the limits of the caliber and put into the vitals. I have never lost one that I shot with a 223 or 204. I lost 2 with a 22-250. I would bet I hit them in the wrong area to kill them CLEANLY. Taking a shot that is "IFFY" will do that regardless of the caliber.

Originally Posted By: beaglerOriginally Posted By: basdjs I'd pick the .22 Hornet, keep the shots inside 150 yds., and still watch shot placement.
X2

X3

There are way more red fox compared to coyotes...although last night I was in another area hunting and we heard at least four coyotes.

I have both, a CZ full-stock 22 hornet and both CZ 17 hornets, I would advize you to buy the 17, it just puts a smile on your face every time you pull the trigger. The amunition problem will be worked out and there are several good posts on forming brass from the 22 hornet brass.

Having used the 22 Hornet on coyotes for 20 or so years, I also limit the distance of my shots due to having runners.

In a calling situation, the vast majority of my shots are head-on. With this shot, I don't shoot much over 100yds and with the rare broadside shot, I'll stretch it to 175 or so. The Hornet is good within it's limitations, and I have set mine as above.

I have a tiger 22 hornet and have shot many gores out to 200 yards good gun but ammo is a little high I used Winchester 35gr supreme when they had it.

Back