Would you rather hunt coyotes with an Eotech or Aimpoint?

lifesupport4u

I recently got an AR and cannot bring myself to put a normal 3-9 style scope on it... (I know many do, it just doesn't seem to fit for me). If I had the budget I would go with a ACOG, but they are too pricey for me.

I do want to do some coyote hunting with it.... but I also want to put a more "tactical" optic on it...

I cannot decide on Eotech or Aimpoint.

Any thoughts?

(sorry, was not sure if this thread should go in optics, ARs or general predator hunting... so here it is)

Im a fan of tube style red dots because they are more "contained" and they seam tougher to me. I've also had bad luck with the amount of paralax on reflective style. I've got a cheap [beeep] Bushnell trophy on my rig and have shot a yote at 120 yds and a rabbit at about the same.

I have an Aimpoint CompM4s and though I have never owned an Eotech, I like the adjustable single dot as opposed to the circle/dot because it looks less cluttered to me and I can adjust the size down in lower light and up in brighter conditions. some claim the field of view is better with the Eotech but I am very happy with the Aimpoint.

This:

Originally Posted By: ShurshotI have an Aimpoint CompM4s and though I have never owned an Eotech, I like the adjustable single dot as opposed to the circle/dot because it looks less cluttered to me and I can adjust the size down in lower light and up in brighter conditions. some claim the field of view is better with the Eotech but I am very happy with the Aimpoint.

Also, give the Aimpoint P.R.O. a look, it is quite affordable compared to the Comp M4s (I have both and the P.R.O. is right up there with the M4s)

I had an Aimpoint T-1 micro and I could only shoot out to about 100-125 yards with it because it didn't have any magnification. My huntin buddy has an Eotech on his AR and he loves it. I prefer a scope myself. Just depends on what you like. Go someplace and compare them side by side then you'll know.

I have used them both and have sold off my aimpoint and kept the Eotech.
Eotech sight is so fast it made my two stage trigger seem slow so I switched to a timney single stage.

Originally Posted By: gary paughI have used them both and have sold off my aimpoint and kept the Eotech.
Eotech sight is so fast it made my two stage trigger seem slow so I switched to a timney single stage.

What makes the Eotech faster? What Aimpoint did you have? I'm want one just having a hard time deciding.

I use the Eotech EXPS3-0 on both coyote and hog rifles. I really like this setup since I can mount the PVS14 with a 3x lens behind it for night hunting and switch to a 3x magnifier for day use.

The FOV is great and I have no problem acquiring targets with a sounder of hogs on the run at night.

One thing that swayed me toward the Eotech was the 1/3 MOA dot as apposed to the 2 or 4 MOA choice with the Aimpoint.

You might also consider a tactical type scope also like the Burris MTAC 1.5-6x40 or something similar. It might be a good compromise.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/mtac15x6x.html

Do you use a light on your rifle for night hunting or does someone standing near you use the spot light on the hogs to see them at night?

I'm considering the EOTech EXPS3-4 but am not sure how well I can see with it at night. I have a Small Wicked 400 light mounted on my Nikon Scope right now. I can also mount that light on my Picatinny rail system on my AR15.

How does the sight system on the EOTech device work at night? Do you have to turn the light way down to better see the MOA dot in the center of the circle?

I'm thinking about getting the one with the four dots and adding a EOTech G33 magnifier to the unit. Maybe later I can add night vision to it as well. But that's not really likely to happen as they are so expensive. But it would be cool to have NV capability at some time in the future.

Last edited:
I have an EOtech and an aimpoint comp M3. both are great quality sights. I prefer the EOtech, but it's mostly shooters preference. you can't go wrong with either one

The Eotechs have a broader range of adjustability. Meaning they can be turned down dimmer than the others. Makes a huge difference at night. I also like the larger field of view. Very effective on runners.

Good luck.
Steve

I went with the EOTECH EXPS3-4 with the G33 flip to the side magnifier behind it. I like to know that I'm almost parallax free from up close out to max range and have a wide field of view for acquiring targets that are moving fast and up close. I later read that the EOTech parallax error is a inch or two at very close range but it clears up at longer ranges.

I think a lot depends on where you are hunting and how you hunt. The type of quarry and the terrain makes the difference in what type of optics work best. Also if you are hunting at night and the predators are getting in close and moving the field of view on the Holographic Weapon Systems like the EOTech come in handy. Not so much during the day and at longer ranges than 200 yards. Then I would prefer to use a regular scope.

If you are hunting out on wide open fields out west than a scope might be a better thing to use. But if you are hunting in thick brush where your view of view is limited to less than 100 yards or less than the EOTECH Holographic weapons sight might be better IMHO. The target plane is the same as the holographic image plane and that means that you won't have to worry about getting a proper cheek weld on your stock to avoid parallax errors. And you don't have to make any parallax knob adjustments to account for various ranges. Adjustable Objective (AO) for you techies.

I love the fact that the EOTECH EXPS3 has a quick release level as does the G33. I can easily take them off the AR15 and store them in their case until I'm ready to go hunting or shooting at the range. Then simply put them back on the top rail in the same spot and make sure that they are up tight against the rail and lock them into place. I'll be checking to see if this allows the system to retain it's 50 yard zero OK. I know that my Nikon Scope can be taken off the top rain and reinstalled and it will hold a perfect 100 yard zero. I've testing the scope at the range two or three times now and it's holding zero perfectly. I suspect that the mounting system on the EOTECH will allow my EOTECH to hold Zero just as well as the Scope.

For me personally when I went hunting at night by myself I didn't like the way a rifle scope worked in the dark with only a light to see by. I felt very constrained in my small field of view with a 4x16x42 scope set on 4X. I didn't know what I would do if a coyote got in close before I could shoot it. And if it didn't hold still how would I get it on target? I feel that with the Holographic weapon systems I could acquire a target faster and shoot it even if it were a fast mover. I'd have a much better field of view and would feel safer.

What if you are hunting coyotes and a cougar sneaks up on you? Or if you encounter some wild hogs while hunting coyotes in thick stuff or out in the woods at night? I want a weapon sight system that can handle all types of encounters day or night up close or far away.

I shoot right handed but I'm left eye dominate so to shoot well I end up closing my left eye when using a scope. I'm not really able to shoot accurately when I have both eyes open. And I don't feel comfortable shooting left handed either. I end up closing my left eye because I don't see as well out of it anymore any way. I've got problems with my left eye.

I'm going to try wearing contacts at night as I found that when it's cold outside my eye glasses tend to fog up all the time. So I'm trying the new contacts that let me see up close and far away at the same time and correct for my astigmatism. I wore a trial pair for a day and they worked with my right eye. The left contact was underpowered so I'm getting another with more power to see if it will help. The right lens tore so I had to order a new trial right lens. I only got to wear these for one day and found that I could see well out of my right eye and could even read things when wearing my contacts which I never could do before.

Some people worry about the battery life of the EOTECH. I bought a package of 9 of the 123 batteries and plan on carrying an extra battery with me in case I need to change out a battery on my EOTECH. That should only take about 30 seconds to do. And they say that the EOTECH starts flashing before the battery goes dead. I read where a guy had his EOTech start blinking and he was able to use it for the rest of the day before the battery went dead. Which should give anyone plenty of time to put a new battery in the unit before it goes dead on you. The only down side might be that it's harder to find the CR123 batteries than the regular AA batteries.

Last edited:
Back