el paso area...

bob319er

Hey guys anyone from the el paso area? i work along the new mexico/mexico border and know all the spots in that area, but am looking for someone that is familier within el paso. i hate having to drive 2 hours to columbus nm, when i know there has to be some dogs in my back yard. any help is appreciated.

p.s. im looking for a new hunting buddy. the last one is too [beeep] noisy!

Hi Bob,

I am from El Paso, from the East Side, I ussually hunt Deserts East all the way to Fabens, have seen a lot of sign but as of yet I have only called in and killed one, this year. I think think I am doing the right things, but I dont know maybe its just me. I have never hunted on the West side of El Paso or anywhere around here besides the East Side. Particularly near Horizon City.

any issues with ranchers or property owners? ive been out by the west texas airport to shoot rabbits, no luck with any dogs though.

all land in texas is private
i strongly suggest santa teresa toward columbus nm
i have called and killed dozens out there
if you are hunting the horizon area
especially at night
you could be in danger of killing a human being
there are numerous lovers looking for a spot to get sweet
and
more importantly many rock quarry workers living in huts out there

also
there is a great area north toward las cruces (off i-10)
at the mesquite exit
the dairy dumps their dead cows out there
at anthony gap north there is small track of land

bob
i hope you have permission from land owners in texas east of el paso
(toward fabens)
(and yes even horizon)
if not you are trespassing
there are 2 land owners out there (one being the tigua tribe)
that are looking for folks that recently hunted in that area
and it is just that sort of thing that keeps those of us that get permission in trouble
fences mean just that
and if you see an orange marking on them they are university of texas private
and several years ago a couple of guys lost their guns trespassing near horizon lake

in horizon area i suggest a shotgun (if you have permission)
especially in the dune areas (not red sands but a little further east) (watching for 4 wheelers) and in the yuccas and thick grass...dont try and copy les johnson's/wyoming type habits out there (300 yd shots)
most yotes out there are very very educated
and they don't expect ya in that close range environment

best of luck to you guys
the season is coming to a close (calling in 30+ winds is simply educational for them and not you)
but
shoot me a pm in august
there is plenty of shooting to be done in september
again
especially along the hwy to columbus (north of it)
i got my first triple out there

good luck
quero

So I figured this thread has some solid info....so instead of starting a whole new thread I figured Id just bump this one.

So, just starting to get into predator hunting. Planning on making my first trip out sometime in semptember, or whenever it starts getting a little colder around here.

I live in El Paso of course...I was wondering how it went for other fellow EP residents, or someone who may have hunted out in this area this season. Im assuming im in a pretty awesome place to be if you enjoy predator hunting...figuring its a good sign when the annual PM gathering was just held a few minutes over in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Dont know if anyone on here hunts in the EP area alone, or would be willing to let a newbie who wants to learn tagalong? Prolly too soon to be asking that...

Back