Convert standard sling stud to QD?

cngerms

I own a Rock River 6.8 Coyote Carbine upper with a Hogue OverMolded Free Float Tube handguard. This particular handguard comes with your everyday sling swivel stud mounted on the underside. I want to be able to use this standard stud in a QD fashion; with either a push button QD sling swivel or even a QD sling hook. Does anyone know of an adapter/converter which will attach to the standard stud so that a push button QD swivel or a sling hook can be used? I can only find the typical 1" or 1.25" oblong, oval swivels that will attach to this stud. Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.

I don't understand the reasoning behind your request.

If you have a sling stud, use a standard sling attachment.
If you want a "flush cup" for use with a QD push button...then use a flush cup and replace your stud.

It sounds like you want to attach a flush cup, to your existing stud, but I can't figure out why.

If you want a "flush cup" for use with a QD push button...then use a flush cup and replace your stud.

Yes, exactly, and thanks for teaching me the correct terminology, too. I want to use a flush cup, but I have never seen a flush cup with a threaded post which I can use in place of the standard stud. Do they exist?

It sounds like you want to attach a flush cup, to your existing stud, but I can't figure out why.

So I would be happy if I could attach a flush cup to the existing sling stud OR if I could find a flush cup with a threaded post which I could use to replace the sling stud. I want to do this so that I can "standardize" my sling attachments because I have an AR lower with two uppers. One upper has rails with a QD flush cup, the other upper just has the Hogue handguard with the sling stud.

I apologize for my original question being unclear.

Options like this are the most stable to use because it has a 2 point backing plate which means it's impossible to pull through the tube.

You may need to open your existing stud hole, and then of course, drill a second.

VTAC TRX Sling Point Adapter
566.jpg

Another option, would probably work with if you opened the existing threaded hole up a little bit, but that may be more risky in the long run.

It's the TRX Sling Adapter.

542.jpg

Noveske makes one as well, but that would require drilling two holes that are like...3/8-1/2"...but it does mount very very flush.

Here is the Noveske version, that like i said, would require drilling holes that are a little larger, but as you can see...it's VERY flush.

OK, yes, Option #1 is definitely a possibility and I'll give it heavy consideration. It may be my only option at this point. I was just convinced there was a simpler way with an available product to use the existing stud or stud hole to arrive at a push button QD endpoint. Now, I'm wondering if there is a ring (maybe like a keyring) which I can put through the existing sling stud and just have both uppers use a sling hook.

Maybe I just came across an unmet need in the AR world; a flush cup with a threaded post which will replace a standard sling stud?

Thanks for your terrific help, cbass.

Originally Posted By: cngermsOK, yes, Option #1 is definitely a possibility and I'll give it heavy consideration. It may be my only option at this point. I was just convinced there was a simpler way with an available product to use the existing stud or stud hole to arrive at a push button QD endpoint. Now, I'm wondering if there is a ring (maybe like a keyring) which I can put through the existing sling stud and just have both uppers use a sling hook.

Maybe I just came across an unmet need in the AR world; a flush cup with a threaded post which will replace a standard sling stud?

Thanks for your terrific help, cbass.

The problem you're going to have with a threaded flush cup post is that it still threads directly into the tube which is less than ideal as far as strength goes. I would never trust a traditional sling stud threaded into an aluminum tube without a back plate or at least a thicker placement to thread into.

That said, my riles are usually heavier than those most guys carry so it's not likely to be an issue for most guys.

What would probably be the smartest thing to do, is to just get a 3-5" picitinny rail, and mount it to the bottom of your tube.
It serves as a solid placement for any kind of attachment you want now or may want in the future.

By attaching something like an "Atlas" Rail to your tube, you now have a built in flush cup and if you choose, you could also attach something like the Magpul RSA.

The best of both worlds.

BT17%20copy.jpg

116_639_popup.jpg

Back