Any power lineman out there?

WvDalt

Im 19 and I am currently in college, i started out in business but i soon realized that wasn't for me. For about 6 months now i have been researching and looking into becoming a lineman. There is a program sponsored by the power company at my college which i plan on attending next semester. I am very excited to start! I am just looking for any advice or information from anyone who is a lineman or may know a lineman. I appreciate it!

thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.!! that seems to be a common answer on most of the forums i have read. most guys seem to love it. if you dont mind me asking too many questions did you work for a utility company or did you work through a union.? did you travel or stay pretty close to home?

I'd say go for it. The salary is good for the amount of money and time it takes for schooling, and if the utility pays for the training, all the better. I've known many people that go college for SEVERAL years and when they get out, they're up to their neck in student loan debt and all they've got to show for it is some worthless degree that will pay about half of what you'd be getting in about four years. (that's if they can find a job in whatever their degree is) I've been doing it for 25 years and I can tell you, it's not all roses. Many times in the middle of the night when you're out in the snow, rain, cold, lightning or whatever, I wonder why I'm not doing something else, but it can be that way with a lot of jobs. It's been good to me, I shouldn't be complaining... it's a good career. My advice would be (at least for the first few years) to keep your ears and eyes open and your mouth closed...pay attention, be careful and ask questions. GOOD LUCK- BE SAFE!!

thank you for the input.! and i totally agree with what youre saying about the degrees, and especially in my area where even with a business degree its hard to find jobs! my dad works for the power company and he has always been able to support my whole family well. yes he works long hours and its hard work but i think he is happy with where things are. and thank you for the advice! thats my plan.!

Keep your butt away from the pole while climbing, that keeps your knees away and you won't cut out. Do they still start a man out climbing before they will let him in a truck? If you climb every day you will get very comfortable at it. Leave small tracks. Like has been said, when everyone else is snug in bed, you will be out. It takes a good woman to be a linemen's wife. Go ahead and get a pair of west coast boots, their worth it. you will be more likely to be hit by a car than power. Don't step from behind your truck into the rd.

Always been with same utility company, Done a little storm travel but never out of company territory. Lotsa people will give you the old "I wouldn't want your job" but can't imagine doing anything else. My dad also spent 45 years with this company. Best of luck. Another thing about us old linemen - we will help a young guy lots if they don't act like they know everything already "cause I been to line school"

i know that at the school i plan on attending they make you pass a climbing course before they let you in the actual classes. i dont know how much climbing that is but its some at least. and ok thanks for the info and advice.!

okk thats what i would want, i wouldnt want to be traveling months out of the year like some guys do. thanks for the info.!

I'm a lineman been one since 1997 my wife went to college for 9 years and has a doctorate in physical therapy and i went to line school for 9 months and I make $7.00/hr more than her. But it's hard work demanding hours lots of physical labor make sure your not scared of heights before you pay the money for school. The one thing I really don't like about my job is that when the lights go out your going to work it doesn't matter what time it is or what the weather is. I've worked in blizzards with temps in -40 and in the rain wind snow. I hate being on call and being tied to a cell phone when I'm not at work. I don't wanna scare you away from it but that's the way the job is there is a lot of responsibility with it and it is a very very very dangerous job. My favorite part about he job is being outdoors all the time if you work for a rural electric you will get yourself permission to hunt in a lot of places that would otherwise be off limits. When that big truck comes rolling into there yard you can do them some favors
smile.gif
like fix a light set a pole put up some wires then you hit them up with permission to hunt and 99% of the time they say yes :):):)

yes i underatand what you are saying about being on call, that to me is a down side, not to get to personal but do you usually get paid overtime when you are called out? just wondering lol but like you said love being outdoors and i could never imagine myself couped up in a little cubicle or office.. and i never thought about hunting opputunities! haha thanks, but thats another reason why i am interested in this job, because i live in a rural place and there isnt many jobs in business etc. especially ones with good benifits. i appreciate the advice and information.!

I was on call for everything till eight o'clock. After then it took more than one call to go out. I never pulled my boots off till after 8. If I did I would get a call out before I got the second boot off. . And never ever say "I am bored". The old timers will flog you. That's a sure way to be out all night.

My youngest son finished school and started as a lineman a year or so ago. He really seems to enjoy what he does. Likewise, he appreciated the low cost of his degree, and the money he makes in return. He got hired straight out of school, start up company, if the boss does well and stays in business, he'll have a lot of room for advancement. Call outs aren't there for all, if you see that as a down side, he works for a private contractor, building new power lines. If there's a seriously ugly storm and things get tough enough that the power company needs help, yeah they may be called, otherwise they put in their time building new power lines, and go home at night.

They do however have to travel and you never know where the next job is going to be. Might be anywhere in the nation, depends upon what the boss bids on. Were I young and single, I might contemplate looking into that route. Go out and add a little experience to my degree, and see the country, while getting paid to do so. Then later in life, after I settled down, maybe make the move back to the rural electric co-op.

Not bad advice Rocky. Just need to remember to set aside some tax money during the year if you are a contractor sometimes they don't hold out taxes. I have seen that put people in a tough spot. And, watch out for the females, they seem to like all those swinging tools and squeaky leather.

thank you both for the input. i dont have a huge problem with the call outs, its part of the job and its an opputunity for overtime so i understand that. I have seen a couple other guys talk about working for contractors and they all love the job and to travel. there are definately different types of oppurtunities out there, i am excited to get things started! lol

Back