This is a big deal, folks.

GC, I always try to sit in a shady spot when I hunt, so as to not be "spotlighted". Turns out the soap Miz Kiz was using to wash my clothes made me glow anyway, thus defeating the purpose of sitting in the shade. According to the new research, to a coyote, it now appears that I was glowing like one of those black light posters from the '70's. I personally think that glowing in the dark is a "big deal", but if you don't, that's fine with me. Maybe you're in one of those states where an orange vest is required.

Last edited:
Kiz,
No orange vest required here for coyote hunting normally. But I have lip squeaked coyotes to me during deer season when I had a blaze orange hat and jacket on with no trouble. Done the same with blue jeans on when out hiking or scouting for other game and run across a coyote. Gerry Blair wore a Santa Claus suit and called coyotes. I often am not wearing camo clothing when hunting, just some sort of drab colored clothing that blends into my surroundings. Much of the better quality outdoors wear like Filson wool isn't camouflage. And those wool garments get dry cleaned, who knows what that does in the visual spectrum. If I had to bet on what spooked more coyotes, movement on the stand or washing with the wrong detergent I would lay my money on the squiggles. With that said, it certainly isn't going to hurt to wash right and take some precaution regarding that. Especially if that gives you more confidence. No offense, but I just don't see it as dramatically as huge an issue as presented here. To each his own - respectfully.

Blaze orange hat and jacket?
Blue jeans?
Filson wool? (It IS some nice stuff, ain't it?)
SANTA CLAUS SUIT???

Are you trying to tell me the wiley coyote is not as wiley as some people make him out to be? I thought he was the educated professor of the wild???

Careful, GC. The "educated coyote police" will be knocking on your door!

Depending upon the extent to which they can see UV (which I didn't see addressed in the article) I do think the UV issue probably should be taken to the equivalent that a man sitting in the shade with UV brightened clothes is probably worse off than the man without UV brighteners sitting in the full sun. The shade will provide dark "contrast" with the UV glow ("spotlighted"), whereas the man in the full sun will be illuminated to the same extent as everything around him. Maybe if the glowing guy sat rock still, the glow wouldn't matter, but I rarely have them show up where I expect them to be, and movement to get a shot is usually inevitable. I'd rather not be glowing when I make that movement, and if merely switching laundry detergent will up my odds, I'm all for it. And, to be blunt, I think a lot of folks fidget a lot more than they think they do, so I think this will help the "average" or new hunter.

Originally Posted By: Kizmo

Careful, GC. The "educated coyote police" will be knocking on your door!

They better have a warrant!
smile.gif

I cut trees for a living, so another thing I do is keep a fresh open bag of cedar chips in my hunting closet...keeps bugs out and a natural odor to my field clothing

for deer hunting I keep everything clean & as scent free as possible, or use an earth cover scent.

for calling I just don't worry about it. Do the best to work the wind knowing that I'm going to call critters I never see, no matter what LOL

Originally Posted By: JohnK9027They only see the uv at night, dusk or dawn?

Pretty sure UV only a factor in low light. That's why reindeer see UV. However, low light also = shade in mid day.

I have a black light that shows the uv since I've always been under the impression that deer see uv. What I've never been able to figure out is why camo makers use these dyes in their material's manufacture. If your stuff says made in China.....it glows. I bought a ghille type jacket from allpredatorcalls.com and in the black light it glows like a christmas tree so I have never worn it.

Last edited:
Thank God these coyotes weren't carrying black lights.

I wore a Allpredatorcalls Sapper for this hunt as as well but I did not have it on for the hero shot.

From what I've read, the good news about optical brighteners is that they breakdown over time and lose their UV flourescece. So, those hunting clothes you never wash (renewing the UV flourescence) are not going to "glow" as much, if at all.

So when you are scanning with a light wouldn't that glow a whole lot more than the tide on your camo? I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, just wondering. I don't do anything special to my camo. Wash it a few times a year in the same stuff we wash all our clothes in. 75% of the coyotes I call in come into shotgun range. Sometimes I sit right out in the open too. Most of the coyotes I shoot never knew I was there. The ones that look at me usually dismiss me if I'm not moving or upwind of them. I'm of the opinion that wind and movement are alot more important than camo or lack there of. I always cover my face and hands for that reason. They are moving the most.

Back