Problem

Bail

I got this model 2 stag for Christmas and I went to put a scope on it and this front site is in the way. Can I take it off? I'm assuming I will need to get a new gas block. Or should I just get a new barrel?

What kind of scope? Risers? In my experience if you mount the scope high enough with a decent set of risers the front sight will either completely disappear or only be slightly visible in the bottom of the scope as a fuzzy dark spot. if you are still having trouble and want to remove the sight another option is to grind off the front sight down to the gas block. the only downside is no iron sights. Example Below...mine came with the chopped front sight because I knew a scope was going on it from the beginning.

Plus it fits under a free float rail quiet nicely.

Last edited:
I didn't know if I could get rings/riser tall enough. And if I could, didn't know if high rings/riser are a good idea or not. It's going to be a coyote gun. I thought about grinding it down, but didn't want to ruin it if I didn't have to. What's a good brand of tall rings/riser?

If you plan on running a scope on the rifle permanently, chop the front sight off. I have one with the front sight ground down and never wished it was still there.

Originally Posted By: reddog964just use a one piece AR mount and you will NEVER see the front sight.... Never....

Yep, especially if the optic has magnification. Even at magnification as low as 3x, you won't see it.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: reddog964just use a one piece AR mount and you will NEVER see the front sight.... Never....

Yep, especially if the optic has magnification. Even at magnification as low as 3x, you won't see it.

Chupa
Ok. RRA a good one?

6-18 power on my .308 with rings just high enough to clear the hand guard and never know the front sight is there.
I plan to put the carry handle back on mine so the front sight is going to stay, otherwise I would have no issue with cutting it off.

Originally Posted By: BailOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: reddog964just use a one piece AR mount and you will NEVER see the front sight.... Never....

Chupa
Ok. RRA a good one?

Nothing wrong with the RRA mount, I like the burris pepr better. That being said, vortex is coming out with a 1" version of their mounts and since the next scope Im buying(also a vortex)is a 1" tube, I will be trying out their mount and they are a fair amount lighter than the burris.

Use a grinder to cut off the top part then a dermal tool to give it its final shape, then get some flat black spray paint to cover the bare metal.

Here is a video on how to do it.

You are welcome to try my RRA to see if it is the right height for you. It already has a scope mounted in it. Pick it up on your way home tomorrow if you want.

Last edited:
Burris P.E.P.E.R very nice ar mount I have to one on Daniel defense v1 that has front fixed site and you don't know that it is there and you can pick one up for $100 at optics planet.

Personally, if I never intended to use the iron sights, I would switch to a low profile gas block. There are tons of options and it isn't difficult to do.

Originally Posted By: bryan hBurris AR PEPR Tactical Riflescope Rings with Mount FREE S&H ...
here is the link.

www.opticsplanet.com › ... › AR Tactical‎

holy cow I didn't know opticsplanet had so much stuff,and free shipping
ill be checking them out more now

Back