Goat Killers

whitey21

I got permission to hunt this goat farm the other day. The farmer has lost several goats to coyotes in the last year and was hoping that I could take a few of them. So Sunday afternoon to scout around a bit and figure out the terrain. After I walked around a bit I told the land owner that I would give him a call, and that I needed to check the weather to see if the wind was going to be favorable for the next two days. I talked to my hunting partner to see what he was going to be doing the next couple of days. I was wanting to go up there Tuesday, but the wind was going to be blowing the wrong direction, so Monday would have to be the day. I talked to my hunting partner (Brian) and I told him that I couldn't take anyone up there with me. He was fine with that and told me that we should have a competition. Weigh in was going to be at high noon at a gas station between him and me. I jokingly told him that I would put 5 bucks on it because for some reason I felt like losing money to him.

Well Monday morning I got up early to make sure I had plenty of time to get there. On the way I get a text from Brian saying that he was sick and that we wouldn't be meeting up. I get to the farm early before daylight. I scan the field with a light to make sure I wouldn't scare anything that was out in it. I figured with the wind coming out of the East I would set up in the draws with the wind in my face. I placed the callers out in front of me and to my left. I was hoping to catch one slipping up a draw to scope out the noise.
Here is a map of the area to get an idea of what it looks like. I was on the southern end of the farm.
1ee2394da70fd9e0abe6a88708e353fa_zps16018dba.jpg

I started rat duet on the wildfire. After three minutes I bumped the volume up to 13-15. about five minutes in I saw a yote come into a hole in the broom sage just 40 yards from me. When she lowered her head just a bit, I swung the gun around and plugged her between the front legs. She went down. I let the pup distress run for a while before turning it off and retrieving my coyote.

I was sitting by this tree and the hole in the broom sage by the other trees is where she stopped.
IMG_0804_zps51089470.jpg

IMG_0803_zps46102e23.jpg

After dragging her back to the truck, I decided to setup on the far south end of the field. I could see a long ways and was again betting that the coyotes would be running those draws to wind their next victim. I started out with some cottontail running on the Foxpro. And again after three minutes I bumped it up to 15 on the volume. Not long I saw two dogs coming trotting down the road around 600-700 yards away. The farmer has two big white dogs out there and I thought it was them. When they disappeared into brush I dialed up the scope so I could get a clean look at them. They popped out and I scoped them to find out it was indeed two coyotes coming into my calls. this was about six minutes into the cottontail. They weren't trying to circle downwind at all. When they saw the mojo the first one (I am assuming a female) picked up speed. I was fixed on her at first incase they got skittish, but since they were both in range I swung to get a shot on the back one. I was about to take the shot when I opened my left eye and saw the female still coming in. Being new to this I wanted to see what exactly she would do and how close she would get. She stopped at just a few feet from the mojo and pounced on it. After that she kicked in the afterburners and was gone. I turned to the second dog (the male) who now was coming in hard to the caller and decoy. I dropped him with a well placed shot. The foxbang clicked in and I was hoping that the female would stop. I barked a few times to try to get her to slow down, but it was hopeless.

Looking down the road that they came in on.
IMG_0809_zps071e47f0.jpg

You can see where my decoy on the left in this picture. He fell in his tracks. I didn't realize that he had gotten so close either until I went to pick him up.
IMG_0808_zps3a6b4719.jpg

I went over to my dad's place and weighed both of them. They were 32 pounds each. I am assuming this is due to the high protein goat meat. Three coyotes in a few hours all in all a good day in here in Alabama. This is the first coyotes that I have called in and shot (others I have walked up on and shot or my partner has shot them).

Here they are in the back of the truck.
IMG_0814_zps74bd492a.jpg

If I would have shot the other one before she spooked I could have had a better opportunity at getting both of them. I may not ever be able to call her in again, but it was worth it to see her jump on the decoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story and even better photos!
I've been out a few times, but nothing to note.... Its starting to drive me crazy, I did my first morning hunt, ever.... started calling 30 minutes to sunrise... Had tracks about 40minutes to an hour old on our drive in... A few called to us but nothing got with in shooting range... Darn Yotes

Back