This is a big deal, folks.

Kizmo

Dogs and cats can see ultraviolet light. Heretofore, only reindeer were known to be able to do so. While I'm still sure that scent blockers are hogwash, I'm now forced to admit that UV blocker detergent is the real deal. You certainly want to avoid any detergent with "color brighteners" (aka UV brighteners).

Cats and dogs can see UV light

Finding bulk unscented detergent without optical brighteners is a struggle for me. I just wash my gear in borax and call it good. If anyone can point me towards a brand of unscented detergent without optical brighteners, that would be great.

ETA: Beat to the borax endorsement by 7 minutes. Note to self: "Refresh before posting."
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shankboneFinding bulk unscented detergent without optical brighteners is a struggle for me. I just wash my gear in borax and call it good. If anyone can point me towards a brand of unscented detergent without optical brighteners, that would be great.

ETA: Beat to the borax endorsement by 7 minutes. Note to self: "Refresh before posting."
smile.gif

Sam's Club sells it. Members Mark Free & Clear laundry detergent, free of perfumes and dyes.

Uh-oh! There goes my Borax.

Laundry Detergents for use with the Army ACU

To the best of our knowledge the list below represents the laundry detergents which do not contain optical brighteners and are able to be used with the ACU (Army Combat Uniform). If you find that one of the below listed detergents are not applicable to a specific category (approved / unapproved) please send an email to webmaster@armystudyguide.com so that we may change the list.

Most detergents do not list if they contain "optical brighteners" so it is difficult to state for sure if a detergent is able to be used to launder the ACU unless the company is contacted directly.

CONTAINS OPTICAL BRIGHTENERS
Dreft Liquid
Dreft Powder
Era Liquid (all versions)
Gain Liquids (all versions)
Gain Powders (all versions)
Ivory Snow Liquid
Ivory Snow Powder
Tide Liquids (all versions)
Tide Powders (all versions)
Tide Tablets (all versions)
Fab (all versions)
Dynamo (all versions)
Ajax (all versions)
Suavitel Fabric Softener (all versions)
All laundry products made by Colgate-Palmolive
Arm & Hammer Liquid (all versions)
Arm & Hammer FabriCare Powder (all versions)
Arm & Hammer Fresh 'n Soft Fabric Softener (all versions)
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
Rain Drops Water Softener and Detergent Booster
DeliCare Fine Fabric Wash (all versions)
Wisk (all versions)
All Liquid (all versions)
Surf Liquid (all versions)
Yes (all versions)
All Dial Laundry Products including:
Purex Powder (all versions)
Purex Liquid (all versions)
Purex Fabric Softener (all versions)
Purex Baby (all versions)
20 Mule Team Detergent (all versions)
Zout (all versions)

DO NOT CONTAIN BRIGHTENERS:
Bold Powder
Cheer Liquid (all versions) only CHEER Stay Colorful Powder
Cheer Powder (all versions) only CHEER Stay Colorful HE Powder
All Powder (all versions) Contains Stilbene disulfonic acid triazine derivative and/or Triazinyl Stilbene(brighteners)
Surf Powder (all versions) Contains Stilbene disulfonic acid triazine derivative and/or Triazinyl Stilbene(brighteners)
Woolite (all versions)

SOURCE

Originally Posted By: Kizmoshankbone-you gotta get up pretty early in the morning to outdraw Tbone.

I think this is the stuff Miz Kiz uses. It has changed names.
http://www.tide.com/en-US/product/ultra-tide-free-and-gentle-powder.jspx#info

Bad news, Tide Ultra Free and Gentle contains an optical brightener, "disodium diaminostilbene disulfonate."

According to the Tide Web site, two optical brighteners — disodium diaminostilbene disulfonate and disodium distyrylbiphenyl disulfonate — are used in dozens of Tide varieties.

SOURCE

Last edited:
December 29, 2010
Seventh Generation Highlights Its Chemical Free Detergent
By ANDREW ADAM NEWMAN

LAUNDRY detergents have promised brighter colors and whiter whites for decades, but one brand of detergent is saying that approach should be hung out to dry.

“She should glow, not her clothes,” said a recent print advertisement for laundry detergent made by Seventh Generation, the eco-friendly line, which showed a young girl in a sundress. Along with being nontoxic and biodegradable, the ad says the detergent has no “optical brighteners.”

Widely used in detergents for decades, optical brighteners work not because of what they lift out of clothes but rather what they leave behind. The chemicals permeate fabrics, causing them to selectively absorb and fluoresce light to appear more white or vibrant.

The ad does not raise specific concerns about optical brighteners, but a Seventh Generation microsite declares, “Just say no to the glow!” and is more pointed. “The environment doesn’t need optical brighteners in its waterways,” it says. “Your family doesn’t need them on their skin.”

Still, while the site says that the chemicals “can rub off on our skin where they can cause a reaction that looks like sunburn,” and that “they don’t completely biodegrade and instead accumulate in fish,” it stops well short of arguing that they are a grave health or environmental hazard.

“We’re not saying the sky is falling,” said Maureen Wolpert, marketing director at Seventh Generation, which is based in Burlington, Vt. “And we’re not disputing that optical brighteners work — we’re just saying that our detergents work without using them.”

While many consumers are wary of perfumes and dyes, leading most major brands to offer varieties that are free of both, little attention has been paid to brighteners.

“Because it’s a topic that no one really knows anything about, it creates curiosity and generates an, ‘Oh, wow,’ ” Ms. Wolpert said.

Hoping to elicit such responses, the brand sent samples of detergent as well as hand-held black lights and digital video cameras to mom bloggers, and instructed them to wash similar shirts in conventional detergent and Seventh Generation. Then, the bloggers hung them side-by-side in darkness and shined the black light on them, causing the Seventh Generation shirt to barely appear and the other to glow purple.

The effort resulted in at least 34 bloggers posting videos about their demonstrations, according to the brand.

Some newer military uniforms are made of fabrics that are undetectable by infrared or night-vision equipment, but laundering them with products containing optical brighteners can render them detectable.

On Dec. 15, Seventh Generation asked visitors to its Facebook page with family members in the military to chime in about optical brighteners, and about 50 responded, many saying that they used either Seventh Generation or other brands free of optical brighteners because they had been instructed to do so."

The rest of the article can be found HERE.

Great work finding that shankbone. We're switching to Cheer.
No wonder those yotes weren't coming in. [beeep] you Tide!!!

Originally Posted By: Rimrock1I wonder how we used to kill varmints while wearing Levis and a white T shirt.

I'm sure it can be and is still done. In fact, I was rewatching Tony Tebbe's DVDs last night and there is one stand where he calls in a triple and the rancher he's hunting with shoots two of three in a camo jacket/shirt and blue jeans (and he was shooting with an SKS and iron sights).

Originally Posted By: Rimrock1I wonder how we used to kill varmints while wearing Levis and a white T shirt.

Yep... When I read the dramatic title of this thread and then the actual content I thought, "Not really that big of a deal." Don't want to be seen? Sit still and don't be moving and fidgeting around, that is the real deal.

Back