Cat trappin'

Here is another picture. This is with a MB 650, and the dog was in here over night:
861049_3786973491191_1498643429_o_zps84f49fc6.jpg

You can see the chain is caught on the baseplate, but there is another swivel at the stakes. How is it that you guys are not getting wrists that look like that after several days?

I have the feeling that the coyotes down here pull and jerk nonstop, hours on end, while northern dogs chill out and conserve energy for periods of time.

Shorten your chain and add a swivel. This is the last time I'm gonna say this. That's why long chains are no good. Trust me. With a short chain that would never happen.

if the chain is too short then they concentrate on the trap more, I use 20-24" on mine. I saw a pic of twist link chain on here I think that has to be the worse chain for a trap.

These are on 3 days 72 hour checks, not one has a messed up leg, I don't take pictures of the trap usually.

Same set up as you, stock MB650 with stock chain set up.

Quote:How is it that you guys are not getting wrists that look like that after several days?

Why are you waiting several days to check your traps? Most states have at least a 36 hour check regulation (although Wyoming is 72 hours). New Mexico is every calendar day (24 hours). Arizona is "daily".

Last edited:
He got that with the use of a board and pins between the legs to close the gap between the legs when it's drying.

Last year was my first year of skinning and selling.. That was a painful lesson.. I watched the video's online and some TV shows.. Bad idea.. I was doing all of the cuts right.. Except the one from the vent to the genitals. I was going down and around the genitals so it looked like a fur bikini on them when i was done.. For those that know better, it's OK I laugh about it now too.

That cost me dearly on the 30 coyotes i sold.
The best lessons i got, was from the buyer. I took my lumps, put aside my pride and rather than argue that my pelts were worth more, I asked the BUYER (the only opinion that counts to me) what he wanted to see. He took about 30 minutes and now that i had done it, I knew and understood what he was talking about and have been following his advice.

As for stretching bobcats, the NAFA site says that the widest point on a cat stretcher is 9" for a larger and 7.5" for the smaller.. But, remember that aside from proper handling and pinning, the money maker is the quality of the fur, coloring, and length. making your pelts wider, will cost you length which costs you money.

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/NAFA_PeltHandlingManual_2012-02.pdf
http://www.nafa.ca/trapper/Resources/TechManual/NAFA_TechManual_2009_LynxCat.pdf
http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/NAFA-2012-WF-Standard-sizes.pdf

Originally Posted By: kash koestercattrax that 2nd coyote might be one of the best ones I've ever saw. Nice picture anyways.

I agree.. it's a good looking docile looking dog that looks like its' gonna be a great pelt.

that 3rd one looks like he needs to die! I got 3 out of 76 this yr with mange, I hate mange! I have never had a chain wrap around a trap, and I have been trapping since 1972, was it a twist link chain?

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20that 3rd one looks like he needs to die! I got 3 out of 76 this yr with mange, I hate mange! I have never had a chain wrap around a trap, and I have been trapping since 1972, was it a twist link chain? look at it it's #3 American on a mb650

Originally Posted By: RuggedExposureHere is another picture. This is with a MB 650, and the dog was in here over night:
861049_3786973491191_1498643429_o_zps84f49fc6.jpg

You can see the chain is caught on the baseplate, but there is another swivel at the stakes. How is it that you guys are not getting wrists that look like that after several days?

I have the feeling that the coyotes down here pull and jerk nonstop, hours on end, while northern dogs chill out and conserve energy for periods of time.

Trust me our coyotes fight.

I find on 3 day check some are sleeping if I see them first, same here in IA on one day check, some I think fight it more, like some females are more aggressive when approached, some big males just lay there glaring at you.

Yes that coyote was a nice female, she was pretty laid back for a coyote, makes you wonder if one like that is ever much of a problem to a rancher, but they want them gone none the less.

I GIVE trappers a bad name????! Please! your an idiot. Go post this on trapperman rather than a predator HUNTING forum and see what happens. Ive been in this game trapping and calling for 35 years. Never seen or heard of any foot damage like this and neither has anyone Ive asked about it. Additionally, I would never post something like this on the internet as it only hurts trappers. But hey I just like giving trappers a bad name. Yea what ever.

Last edited:
oh it was the picture of j rivet opened up, there was twist link chain on that one. The other chain looks good, I got #3 chain for my new drags, but I think #2 would be fine

Originally Posted By: phutch30I GIVE trappers a bad name????! Please! your an idiot. Go post this on trapperman rather than a predator HUNTING forum and see what happens. Ive been in this game trapping and calling for 35 years.

NO WAY, that would mean you've been doing it longer than one of the guys that is whining has even been alive, and hes an expert!!!

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20oh it was the picture of j rivet opened up, there was twist link chain on that one. The other chain looks good, I got #3 chain for my new drags, but I think #2 would be fine

Kevin you were right, there was some twin loop chain in that picture, and I agree with your choice on #3 chain, thats the same as I use.

Back