Gov. McAuliffe set to pass new law...

I don't agree with Sunday hunting either. Several rural counties passed resolutions against it, but the Northern Va interest won again, as usual. Supposedly no hunting with dogs allowed on Sunday, but we all know how that will go. Just wait until a pack of hounds catch a crippled deer in some rural church yard right in the middle of services. This could very well be the beginning of the end for hunting with dogs in Va.

Interesting perspective, guys. For any sportsman who works Monday - Friday, that one dayof hunting is a pretty small window. I don't think you have to much to worry about as Sunday hunting is pretty common throughout the southeast and I don't think it's been a negative for most states.

Gonna need a divorce lawyer!! especially after deer season. The only good I see is if you have chitty weather on a Saturday you can hunt Sunday and it will help with predator hunting no more having to stop at midnight on Sat.

I wish it would pass here. I often work 6 days a week. Sunday is often the only day I have to hunt.
But, it still wouldn't do me too much good as I have VERY little private land to hunt.
If you don't like Sunday hunting....... DON'T HUNT ON SUNDAY!
While I'm on my soap box...... Let's outlaw the following on Sunday: fishing, football, basketball, baseball, hockey, NASCAR, soccer, shopping, eating out. Darn we could just close EVERYTHING but the churches on Sunday. But then the only one's working on Sunday would be the Ministers and priests. So maybe we should close the churches on Sunday so EVERYONE can have the day off.

I personally don't understand the "No Hunting on Sunday" thing..
You should be able to pursue your passion any day you please. Many of us only have the weekend to hunt. If its a religious thing or your just opposed to Sunday hunting, then don't hunt, your choice, just as it should be..

Originally Posted By: Dewey NYI personally don't understand the "No Hunting on Sunday" thing..

Pretty simple really.
It's one group of people that want to tell another group of people what to do.

It was a great bill in my opinion. Most people saw the bill title and freaked out. What it is was a win for private property owners rights. The bill was to permit Sunday hunting on private property by the landowner or someone with written permission of the owner that allows Sunday hunting. It excludes the use of dogs for deer or bear chase since the VA hound alliance sided with HSUS to try and corner Sunday for themselves and objected to the bill so loudly. Now I can shoot pests like coyotes and groundhogs on Sunday with the farmers permission so long as it is more than 200yds from a house of worship. I can bow hunt on Sunday after watching it rain all day Saturday if I wish to so long as I'm on private property with the proper permission.

To tell a taxpaying landowner what they can do on their land based on the day of the week is ridiculous. What do the folks that go to church on Wednesday or Saturday do when you can't hunt on Sunday either? Do they only get 5 days to hunt due to their faith? It was quite discriminatory. No provision of the new bill requires anybody to hunt on Sunday or requires any landowner to grant permission to hunt on Sunday. Just another dumb blue law put to rest
wink.gif
. There is NASCAR on Sunday, drag racing, alcohol sales, fishing, shopping, and open shooting ranges and clubs. It never made sense to me to prevent legal hunting.

Now thousands of kids that have sports activities or other family events on Saturdays will at least have the opportunity to share in our hunting heritage on Sunday and not have to miss more school. I can see a lot of folks hitting the fields and woods as soon as the morning service is done. IMHO, there are far worse after church activities that are already legal.

I've never understood legal justification for banning hunting on sundays.

Almost the entire country allows it, on both public & private prperty & don't have any problems.

If your faith tells you to not hunt on sundays, fine, don't hunt on sundays. Preventing others who don't have the same issue is too much for my taste.

I'm with Corey on this one. It's a huge win for the hunter in VA.

- Primary issue: The Sunday ban is a "blue law," a legacy of states' determination to prohibit a variety of activities on the Christian "Sabbath." It is my belief that this legacy blue law centered around stills/moonshine/liquer. If you get a chance check out the movie Lawless http://lawless-film.com/. Hampton VA had more stills then any other state, county or country for that matter. It was dubbed the wettest county in the world. Personally, I oppose state and local blue laws, and lawmakers can shove their attempts to tell me what I cannot do on their Sabbath, expecially if I own/lease the land.

- Secondary issue: Conservationists, nature watchers, hiker's, photographers, birders, picnicers, etc. feel they need a day to enjoy the outdoors without fear of hunters in the background. There's some merit in that thought.

So the challenge for a hunter/huntress is only having one day a week to hunt because the average person works M - F, that leaves Saturday only to hunt. I believe the swing in the hunter's direction is based on money. The revenue the state generates is outweighing the legacy bible thumping. Either way, it's been this way for me for my entire life. So this is monumental to a hunter in this state.

Eric

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Dewey NYI personally don't understand the "No Hunting on Sunday" thing..

Pretty simple really.
It's one group of people that want to tell another group of people what to do.

^ This

I don't think this a a biblical issue. Sunday is not the only day of worship. If you are strong in your faith you know that you should worship the lord daily. It's not a sin to work, or recreate on Sundays. Here are some quotes I found.

We are no longer commanded to cease working on the Sabbath, nor is Sunday now the “Christian Sabbath.” Although many Christians prefer to take Sunday off and spend at least part of it in corporate worship, working on Sunday is not sin. Many Christians, such as doctors and nurses, have no choice but to work on Sunday and, as a society, we should be very grateful to them. But Christians who work on Sunday should do so with the understanding that worship is not limited to any one day of the week, but is to be an ongoing part of their lives.

We no longer rest for only one day, but forever cease our laboring to attain God’s favor. Jesus is our rest from works now, just as He is the door to heaven, where we will rest in Him forever. There is no other Sabbath rest besides Jesus.

Wish it was that simple , I have very mixed feelings .Maybe I'm old school it doesnt matter most things I was raised to believe are being changed now so this doesnt surprise me . I remember putting my vacation in for deer season or i would have been only a 1 day hunter as well.

You can do everything else on Sunday, why not hunt! I think it's great for the people that want to. There is nothing in there that says you have to hunt on Sunday, only if you want too .....

The great news about this is "if you don't agree with it, you are not forced to do it". This will probably be the best bill McAuliffe will sign in his tenure as governor. I hope he don't go crazy on going after guns.

Back