I've been holding out on you guys !

Tim Neitzke

The weather here this winter has been pretty extreme. Heavy winds, lots of snow and subzero temps , have made tracking one heck of a chore this season. We did well early in the season as you could see from my pics before.
A very nice member here sent me a few new .17 bullets to field test on coyotes. I feel bad that I've not got a chance to even load and shoot them on paper. The wind has been the biggest problem. Secondly when it did get nice for a few days I had to hunt.
tongue_smilie.gif
Hopefully soon I can get them shot.

And now for some photos !

Checking a bait, 17-204 vs. crow !

Did some cattail/brush stomping and got 2 coyotes out. After a quick run, Ray put the scattergun to this one in a ditch.

A fw707 custom drag in action ...

The second coyote had been hit,but not real good. Good enough to leave a blood trail in the snow. Walking in to set up,Ken jumped a coyote in a ditch and quickly put it down. This was a bonus kill, dang it.
laugh.gif
( Sorry no pics .I was a long way from it and then in a hurry had to leave for work.
frown.gif
)
It got into a big piece of woods and I tracked it for hours and hours, then it crossed the road to a even larger woodlot. I had to bail and go to work. After a quick lunch, a couple of the guys picked up the track and dogged it till dark. Not wanting to loose a cripple, the next day they looked again. My phone rang out and was told the coyote was still leaking a little,so I rode over and picked up the track.
Did not have many blocker/shooters this day,so I knew it would be hard going. Snow was knee deep all through the timber , walking was not easy, but tracking was.
grin.gif
Knowing it was gonna be long day, I called work and asked for the day off. Wish granted .
wink.gif
Could never catch up to it myself, I found many beds where it rested while I stuggled to keep up.
Started about 9:30 /10:00 am on this track and at 3:15 PM uncle Randy finally killed it. WooHoo , game over ! Dang near needed help getting myself out of the timber. Having run out of water to drink ,cramps had set in.
cry.gif

Here it is, The 2 day 10 mile coyote !

Add some nasty weather again and very few tracks it's a while before anything happens. Fast forward to Monday Feb 17th....
Had gotten a lite snow on Sunday, so any tracks should be fresh. Having the option to work early day shift Monday, I held off to hunt alittle first.
cool.gif
Animal activity was very thin,but we found 1 good track .While making a plan , the coyote tried to sneak out, but I saw it. Bad move, grin...
Needing to get to work ASAP, I took the 17-204 for the task. As I took up the track a second coyote came into view ! First one went into 1 of 4 small woodlots and bedded up,so #2 was first on the hit list. I jumped it and it flat out was leaving the county. Swinging on it I pulled ahead of it and between the wire fence, scattered trees , I knocked it down ! Flop, flop, bite,bite , and after a 30 seconds it gets up ,CRAP ! Making my way out to get clear shot, it got in the brush. Taking up the track I bump it out and it circles around me and back in the brush it comes. Picking a spot I get ready, here it comes .... BANG ! Down for good. Uncle Randy gets up wind of the woodlot of the bedded coyote and walks in as I peer from my "hide". Soon out it comes , running. Woof ! Woof ! it stops and I send a 30gr Berger to do the job. Bang Flop, a double .
thumbup.gif

Chatting with the boys for a minute, I haul butt for home to change and go to work. 10 miles into my 12.5 mile ride to work, my phone rings....
unsure.gif

"Tim you at work yet ?" No , I replied. " Got a coyote spotted north of town ! " Now I'm wondering what to do. Have 2.5 hours before my reg shift starts... Pulling in the work parking lot and whipping a 180* I head for home !
w00t.gif
Call the wife and tell her to load my gear and start my truck. Burning up the blacktop and making my way home. Jump in my hunting cloths and tear out the drive in my already running truck....
grin.gif
Soon , the hunt is on,as Randy stalks the bedded coyote. It runs in and out a small woodlot and crosses the road. A quick track job and it's on the run again. Making it's way to a very busy road , the coyote turns and slowly walks back to Uncle Randy's postition. Watching it unfold as I peer down range via my Leupold on 14x. The coyote folds and followed by a "crack" of a 17 HMR ! Yes, you read correctly 17 HMR. He gives it one more for good measure , putting todays tripple down ! Checking the time on my phone , puts me into panic mode ! 40 minutes to make work before really being late ! Dash to my truck, get home dump guns, grab my work cloths and keys.... off to work ! Make the parking lot with 3 minute left and the day shift guy is warming his truck. I jump out of my truck still in my snow camo, Troy is shaking his head and laughing ! "Well how many ?" Grinning I say 3 !
thumbup1.gif

Sorry I don't have a photo of the HMR coyote as it was still 1/4 mile from the road when I left. Wish we could have gotten the all 3 in a pic. O'well...
Uncle Randy said it was a very small one ,maybe only 20-25#'s.

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it !

Thanks for reading !
cool.gif

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke... Call the wife and tell her to load my gear and start my truck. ...

That is some awesome support staff you've got there!
thumbup1.gif

Congratulations on a great hunt(s) and a fine story.

Well told and actually quite a few beautiful fotos. I like how you stuck it out for the injured 'yote. Cutting it close for work and showing up in winter camo; tickles me. Unless promotion is based on telling hunting stories . .
However, you might get a nomination on this forum!

Last edited:
Taking the day off, tracking a wounded animal through the deep snow, almost being late all because of a coyote or two.. I'm glad you have your priorties straight. Great write up and pic's. Thanks for sharing and Congrats.

**MiZ Kiz,
The Mrs. does have her good days .
wink.gif

**yotezapper,
many reasons... First, with 3 other groups of walkers and hound guys in my area makes for some tuff calling. Secondly, Most places the coyotes hang out are small and know you are comeing before you even start calling. Thirdly, everybody and thier brother is calling coyotes these days, which makes it harder too. Also, it gets older guys like my Dad a chance to get out and hunt that otherwise would not go.
Last but not least ,it's some dang good fun !
I do get out and call now and then ,it's good stuff too.

**Sosalty,
I'm at the top of the very short ladder at work, so coming in at the buzzer once in awhile don't matter. A good boss, low stress and no time clock, makes life good.
thumbup1.gif

**Jeff,
The drags work well !

Thanks for the kind words everyone .

Last edited by a moderator:
man Tim, that was a great story.
feel free to come up and birdog for me anyday.
cool.gif

i hunt alone 90% of the time and many get away that hit the river bottoms.
oh yeah, bring some 30 Bergers wiith ya please
smile.gif

Tim, I'm going to get in on one of those pushes one of these days. Please tell me the .223AI isn't retired now. The HMR is capable in the right hands if you stay within it's limitations, you're a shooter, I got NO issues with you using an HMR or your judgement in your buddies to use it.

Next time you're down, make it a decent amount of time. I hit the mother load of properties, but it's about 3 1/2- 4 hours from the house. Full amenities, trailers for sleeping and a mess hall for eating and tellin lies. The gentleman than owns the place is awesome and will hunt with us. Coyotes under every bush, hogs at every feeder. Called in 13 coyotes on the 1st and 2nd.

Chupa

Dave , It would be great fun ! Not sure if I could take those super cold days you have.

Jay,
It's dang cold for a warm weather guy like you, but I'd let come play. I need to get the 223AI out for some love. A trip to Texas would make it feel better ! Sounds like you got a heck of a spot, very nice ! I'm way over due for a good calling trip.

Back