My latest hunting truck: 2012 Dodge Power Wagon

RockinT

Some of you may remember my K5 Blazer. It was a great rig. I sold it to a guy who is now using it for deer surveys and some varmint hunting.

I needed rear doors for passengers and a vehicle better suited for extended ranges on the highway. I liked the design of the Blazer so I followed that idea with a pick up. Some changes were made and this one turned out better than the last. It is the ultimate varmint hunting truck especially when hunting three to four guys and using the truck year round for other hunting and daily driving. This picture shows the truck when it was almost finished. The front kill basket had a few changes made and had not been powder coated. The shooting rail was raised after a night of hunting and I was playing around in the back yard with the sway bar disconnected (electronically) and the front and rear differential lockers engaged.

Specifications:

2012 Dodge Power Wagon SLT
Garmin based factory navigation
front and rear lockers
factory warn 12,000 lb winch
firestone air bags in rear
Soft Topper canvas soft top to keep gear dry in bed
Randy Ellis light bar with 4 light force 170's
Custom Kill basket
Custom High Rack
Custom Battery and storage box

This picture is after everything was finished and the rail was taken down. It takes about 5-10 minutes to take the rail down. The Blazer needed two people to raise the rail. On the design of this rail I made each end pivot so it could fold up and down independently. The side rails are then bolted on for a 360 shooting rail. It makes a shooting rail that is super sturdy when up but compact when down. Once each end piece is folded down towards the middle the side rails bolt to the pivot points locking it all in place.

These pictures show the rail down a little closer up

It is nice to be able to take the rail up and down as needed during hunting season. I drive the truck deer hunting, bird hunting, and for daily use. I need to lower the rail to pull in the shop. I can also take the rack completely off during the summer in about 10 minutes with either a fork lift, a hoist, or 4 friends.

The bed rails I built were run through a heavy metal break so they fit the truck perfect. They are stout enough to bet the rack out far enough to clear the soft topper. I was originally going to use a fiberglass camper top but they all have a skirt around the edge to clean up the appearance with plastic bed caps. This would have interfered with my design and I found the soft topper. The bed rails are also strengthened by using four turn-buckles in the inside of the bed tying the bed rails (high rack bases) to the truck not allowing them to twist or put too much stress on the top of my factory sheet metal.

As cool as it looks with lights mounted to the high rack I wanted the piece self contained. So I mounted the auxiliary lighting to the front of the truck. We built a custom sheet metal box to fit the high rack that would give us storage for our seat pedestals plus hold a big gel cell battery and an on board charger. there is a flush mounted 110 volt male receptacle on the outside of the box so you just plug in an extension cord and it keeps the battery charged and maintained.

[url=http://s101.photobucket.com/user/rockint/media/powerwagonbedrailsrackoff_zpse8723b39.jpg.html t=_blank]

Last edited:
For sound on the truck we have two speakers from Fox Pro mounted to the kill basket. They are wired to a Fox Pro Scorpion that is hard wired to 12 volts in the cab. The kill basket comes off and on very easy. We built a front receiver hitch to mount the kill basket. It also bolts in two places to the light bar so it does not rattle and is very sturdy. the speaker wiring can be disconnected with two sets of plugs.

All of the wiring is neat and tidy. Hidden and running through the tubes when possible on the rack for the 12 volt outlets and the light bar for power to the lights. No short cuts here.

That is a well thought out and executed rig. Very nicely done sir. I'd love to see more pictures and reports of it in action later this year.

I sure like those Power Wagons - it's a shame they are no longer available with a standard tranny. The hemi/6-speed was a great combo in my opinion.

RockinT,
One of the best things on this forum is there is always someone who spends a lot more money than you on the sport. Hence, I can rationalize a lot of things!!! THANK YOU!!! That rig is gorgeous.

Beautiful setup. You should be able to put some fur down with that. The 2 dual gun holders are a nice touch. Able for each shooter to have a gun secured firmly or if only running 2 shooters, a place for a rifle and shotgun each. Do you run any netting on the side rails for daytime calling?

Only one thing that stuck out in my mind that may not even be an issue. I was wondering why there are no toe guards on the access ladder to prevent kicking into the truck body? As mentioned, well thought out and nice neat work. Wish we could use something like that here in VA.

Time for a new rig. A third child came as a surprise to me and my wife. 12 years after my first and 7 years after my last. The Power Wagon was a dedicated hunting vehicle. I have a company truck to drive most everywhere. With that being the case the power wagon got traded in on a new 2500 suburban to use for family duty. Needing a rig to varmint hut out of and double as transportation for a dirty baseball team of boys in the summer I just could not see the new burb fitting the bill. So I also picked up a 2004 Suburban on the cheap. The GMT800 suburbans are plentiful and with 100,000 miles super cheap. I was sad to see the wagon go but I have a pretty good time building these trucks and had an idea I wanted to try. I stripped the power wagon prior to trading it in and am using most of it for my new build.

I always wanted to learn how to bend round tubing. So I bought a manual bender from JD2 and got started. My first project was a exo-cage for the suburban. The old rack off the power wagon is going to be mounted on top. I cut the legs off so all I was left with was the platform. I am just about finished and will post pics soon. Stay tuned.

Back