My first trip to Nebraska, a buddy's first yote!

Kollincoyote

Well fellas a buddy of mine has been turkey hunting a area in Nebraska for around 8 years now and has always wanted to go back in the winter and try to call up a few dogs. He invited me to join him and when our schedules finally worked out, we went.

Well with the full moon, warm days and virtually new country we had our odds against us. But after knocking on a few doors we got some permission for some great looking coyote country.

Our first 3 sets showed nothing but great scenery, anticipation, and alot of doubt from my buddy. He swore up and down we were going to be ankle high in spent brass. Ha...Rookies.

The 4th set of the day as the sun was going down, about 20 mins of calling we had a coyote walk out of a big draw out to our right. He trotted out and sat on his butt surveying the land in between us. I told Travis to take him as I thought he wasn't going to budge, then the yote stands up and starts to walk away.

I bark a few times to stop him and Travis squeezes the trigger. The 40 gr. Vmax from his .204 just missed high. After it went over the hill bound for Kansas, I ranged it at 350 yrds. Not a chip shot for us Minnesota guys.

The next spot we had em howling all around us as the day light turned dark.

The next morning greeted us with 25-30 mph winds and 55 degrees and a big ol moon off to our west. Really nice for hunting right???

But we got more permission more ground and had a blank morning but was able to have some luck at around 2 pm.

We called a spot with no luck and just kept walking into the wind to our next. Maybe walking 400 yrds. We set up both sitting by a small ceder tree. After about 15 mins of hand calling I feel the tree shift and hear Travis move a little. Hear him lip squeak and BOOM.

Travis has his first called in coyote dead at 40 yards. We were both excited!

Well now that we know it can be done that helped with our attitudes that were going down hill.

Our next spot we had one come over a hill about 400 yards away and get into a bottom and we never saw it again.

The last spot of the trip just at sundown we set up facing east after along walk back in the middle of a section we heard one howling the day before. Just as we sat down and I got on the hand call one pops up below us at 150 yrds. It walks up the hill and Travis took a shot and missed. Off it went to the left and I managed to roll it at 175 yards!! Wow we were pumped!!

That was our short trip, 13 sets and we had 4 spots where they howled back. Saw 4 yotes. Got 2. Both females. And had a blast even with the odds not exactly being on our side!!
A few more pics.

Great scenery for a flat lander like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report!

The last picture just begs to be explored and called. You are very fortunate to have been able to hunt that area.

Originally Posted By: coyoteclydeWay to go guys! How does it work to shot them coming out of a wood pile back in MN.?

Depends on how much I had to drink the night before!!

nice job neighbor! didn't know that was Travis first yote, now he should be really hooked.2 high school kids that want me to take them calling Saturday, thinking Sioux valley publics...

Originally Posted By: DakotaBoynice job neighbor! didn't know that was Travis first yote, now he should be really hooked.2 high school kids that want me to take them calling Saturday, thinking Sioux valley publics...

Trav has shot a pile of em... just none coming to a call

Went out to Nebraska last year and called good time . The Sioux valley area is pretty burnt with hound hunting don't think you will have much luck in that area .

It's true that guys running hounds screw up a lot of good calling spots here in NE, especially in the North Central part of the state. It's kind of a bummer.

I think the hardest thing about coming here for a trip is that you could easily run into a series of days where the wind is really cranking and calling is pretty much just like pi**in upwind...

Originally Posted By: MNyoteHunterNice job. Awesome scenery. Makes stepping outside and looking at nothing but flat dirt and corn stubble disappointing.

Thanks man, those are my feelings exactly...because I don't own any of that flat dirt and corn stubble!

Back