Why are so many selling Vortex scopes.

Ask Superseal 110 about how long my Swift Premier lasted. Broke on first day! Their A/Os are junk IMO.

Pentax don't make Burris, Burris makes Pentax.......

Lots of guys drinking the Vortex kool-aid. I had a few sips. It wasn't that good.

I have had 3 and sold them all.. The 3-9x40 Viper was a pretty good scope. Their higher powered offerings are less impressive IMO. Eye relief is short. Especially for LR prone shooting. Tracking was a bit off on my 6.5-20x44. The further you air it out, the worse it got. Problem is, most of the guys who buy them would't know the difference anyway. Same guys who buy mil-dots and don't know how to use them or who think gimmicky BDC reticles will turn them into LR shooters......

Originally Posted By: woodguru.
Here's another little sleeper in 4.5-14x, the Burris Fullfield II is a bit pricey at $500+/- but a very nice scope, it is made by Pentax who has the exact same scope under the Pentax name (Whitetail Hunter) which can be found for somewhere around $225 to $240, this is a very nice scope at that price.

Where'd you get $500 from?

Here's one for a touch under $300; http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x42-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P7933.aspx

Another with spotting scope for $378; http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BU200183PKG

And one more for $299; http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-br-rs-45-14x42-fullfield.html

Pentax makes Burris? Lmao

Woody still remains constant. He posts replies that are rarely backed up by any links that can prove anything. He can tell us, but usually can't show us.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunLots of guys drinking the Vortex kool-aid. I had a few sips. It wasn't that good.

I have had 3 and sold them all.. The 3-9x40 Viper was a pretty good scope. Their higher powered offerings are less impressive IMO. Eye relief is short. Especially for LR prone shooting. Tracking was a bit off on my 6.5-20x44. The further you air it out, the worse it got. Problem is, most of the guys who buy them would't know the difference anyway. Same guys who buy mil-dots and don't know how to use them or who think gimmicky BDC reticles will turn them into LR shooters......

All of it... I couldn't have said it much better.

Well puxsutawn as you can see everybodies own scope is the best and the rest are junk, just ask them. If you think the vortex your interested in will work then go look through one before buying it and see if it's the one. Thats the only true way to see whats best for your eyes. Good luck

Originally Posted By: bluealteredWell puxsutawn as you can see everybodies own scope is the best and the rest are junk, just ask them. If you think the vortex your interested in will work then go look through one before buying it and see if it's the one. Thats the only true way to see whats best for your eyes. Good luck

...and if it ain't after purchasing, list it in the classifieds.

IMO, your intended use has as much to do with your purchase working out as anything else. Your priorities may be different from someone elses depending on your needs/priority rankings based on intents/ideas. I am a hunter first, targets secondary. While going outside at 2:00 in the afternoon to look through a scope is better than inside a store, you need to do more than read the license plate of the car down the street. Look under the car, look in the bushes next to a shadowy side of a building, etc. How does it resolve the detail when it is not bright and sunny? How does it seperate the various details and colors when challenged, not when it is optimum conditions? Bright light to shadows, shadows to bright light, color integrity, reflections, and so on. And all your learning is the glass, not the mechanics. Until you actually shoot through the scope, you won't know how well it tracks other than by reputation. And until you carry it for a while you won't know how well it will hold a poi other than by reputation. Standing at the counter, sometimes reputation is all you have to go on. Reputation is a very valuable item. Do you want a reputation for good CS or a reputation for getting it right from the get-go?
Some random thoughts:
Vortex is an importer, not a manufacturer. Hence answers like "we haven't seen it yet, but it should be better than, same as...", "as soon as we receive some samples," etc.
Great customer service is the thing I always hear mentioned.

Leupold is a manufacturer. Subtract $50-150 from the price for the included-in-the-price extended warranty to get to the proper pricing range (same as any other company). Great CS is not free; someone has to pay the cost of it. Leupold's business model takes the money up front and uses it to build a solid reputation based on solid products. I would consider that great customer service. What are the other companies doing with that part of the price geared towards warranty protection? Paying shipping?
Leupold is also adamant about their price-point pricing. Leupold doesn't lower prices as competition pushes them; they instead try to "add value" to the purchase and still maintain the price-point (free rings, covers, free shipping, vari-x11 becomes vx1, etc.)

I think you guys are missing something here. One point and two comments. PST 6-24X50 and all PST models have an illuminated reticle, I think a big factor for night hunting. Now that being said, mine is difficult to use above 18X. Distance to the eyepeice becomes critical for a clear scope. All other quality scopes that are illuminated are very pricey.
That I find annoying( eye relief), and is not a problem with Zeiss scopes. Also that being said, I am not overly happy with Zeiss HD5 at higher power. Cheers, Ottway

Any scope can be judged by their price point / feature ratio. It's unfair to expect a $500 scope to perform like a $1500 one.

I have a 2.5x10 pst on one of my ar's. for the price, it has illuminated mil/mil , it's repeatable RTZ , and the clarity is good. (not great , but definitely good.)

A friend of mine has a Swarovski , it's a hunting scope . it has great glass.. but it's like $1400.

The only time the swaro really outshines the vortex is really low light. However I totally spank him shooting steel to 500 yards , primarily because he has to use Kentucky windage.

For the price i'm happy with the vortex... would i sell it? No, because I can't replace it with something better with same features at the same price.

On the other hand, my leupold 6.5x20 mk4 FFP illuminated milling reticle went bye bye... was it a great scope? yes! retailed for $1800... it better be. the major flaw was it has a milling reticle and moa turrets... I got tired of converting all the time and switched to a scope with mil turrets ( leupold had just come out with the mil/mil version) I called them to retrofit mine but gave up after a year of run around ... I ended up replacing it with a swfa super sniper 5x20 mil mil.FFP.

I still like the leupy.. it shot good, but it wasn't worth the headache with moa turrets.

youtube

Originally Posted By: JohninTX
A friend of mine has a Swarovski , it's a hunting scope . it has great glass.. but it's like $1400.

The only time the swaro really outshines the vortex is really low light. However I totally spank him shooting steel to 500 yards , primarily because he has to use Kentucky windage.

So your comparing two completely different scopes, made for completely different types of shooting and saying the cheaper one is better because its outfitted with the options to allow you to do so.

If that's the case a tasco with mildots would work..... If you didn't need to use the turrets.

Its nice you admit the glass in the Vortex is lacking. Your actually one of the first to mention it about their lower powered PST scopes.

I have a 4x16 HS on my 25.06. From 4x to about 12x it blows my VX 111 out of the water. The Vortex is a little fuzzy at 16x, (no worse then the Leupold at higher power) but, I can live with it. I must say the Vortex tracks just great and well worth the money spent. Saving my pennies for a Zeiss for my new .243AI project.

Originally Posted By: newmexkidI have a 4x16 HS on my 25.06. From 4x to about 12x it blows my VX 111 out of the water. The Vortex is a little fuzzy at 16x, (no worse then the Leupold at higher power) but, I can live with it. I must say the Vortex tracks just great and well worth the money spent. Saving my pennies for a Zeiss for my new .243AI project.

Its important to note for anyone reading this that has little experience with scopes. The Leupold VXIII and the VX3 are different models. The VX3 being the newer model with more options better coating etc. They are much better than the previous VXIII models in all areas.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: newmexkidI have a 4x16 HS on my 25.06. From 4x to about 12x it blows my VX 111 out of the water. The Vortex is a little fuzzy at 16x, (no worse then the Leupold at higher power) but, I can live with it. I must say the Vortex tracks just great and well worth the money spent. Saving my pennies for a Zeiss for my new .243AI project.

Its important to note for anyone reading this that has little experience with scopes. The Leupold VXIII and the VX3 are different models. The VX3 being the newer model with more options better coating etc. They are much better than the previous VXIII models in all areas.

I think the current VX-2 is a better 'all around' scope than the VX-III. for the most part, anyways.

Back