Cat trappin'

What EJ said on the hooks and chain. Your 1 pic shows twin loop chain= junk for coyote traps.

on 2/14 you have pics..(MB 650 ? coming out of dye)decent trap if legal...and twin loop chain on another.

Check into JC Conners shock springs.

my .02...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MBWhat EJ said on the hooks and chain. Your 1 pic shows twin loop chain= junk for coyote traps.

I have no problem helping people....., but what state are you in ? The following is from your posts..

on 2/8 you said NM with a daily check...
on 2/11 you talk of a coyote with damage on a 36 hr check
on 2/14 you have pics...(MB 650 ? coming out of dye)decent trap if legal...and twin loop chain on another.

The only help I give people breaking the laws are to keep them from getting my sport banished ! We all have a learning curve...but intentional law breaking and complaining of foot damage is not acceptable.

Check into JC Conners shock springs.

my .02...

How am I breaking the law?
NM trapping guidelines say:
Land Sets: No foot-hold trap with an outside spread more than 7 inches, if laminated above
the jaw surfaces or tooth-jawed traps, shall be used in making a land set. All foot-hold traps with an
inside jaw spread equal to or more than 5½ inches shall be offset, unless they have padded jaws.

and on the time interval for checking a trap:
Trap Inspection: A licensed trapper or his/her representative (agent) must make a visual
inspection of each trap every calendar day. All traps must be personally checked by the trapper every
other calendar day and all wildlife must be removed.

So if I check a trap at 6am on a Monday, and then the next day (Tuesday) at 6 pm, that is a 36 hour span. But I am still legally checking my trap every calendar day.
Here are the NM trapping regs:
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publications/documents/rib/2014/sections/28Furbearers.pdf

Live and learn man it's all part of the game, I go in this order coming off the baseplate, swivel then 1 or 2 links then another swivel then 1 or 2 links then another swivel. I'm starting to like just 1 link inbetween swivels. They can't get tangled or anything.

The springs are a waste of money IMO I have never used them more will I ever start. If your chain and swivel setup is good and short the coyote can't lunge. Springs were invented for those who like long chains, if your chain is short you don't need a spring, long chains make it a pain in the rear to bed you have to coil all that extra chain under the trap.

I bet if you were to go at it a different way you could get a lot more help, you really need to realize that pictures and posts off of these sites have been used against trappers in court by anti's, when you lose the attitude PM me and I will give you some ideas, and some pointers on fur put up.

I think the springs have shown helpful to others with toe catches..as I feel off/sets do..I am in the process of adding some to my line. Toe catches are rare for me....but it does happen sometimes.

Originally Posted By: CattraxI bet if you were to go at it a different way you could get a lot more help, you really need to realize that pictures and posts off of these sites have been used against trappers in court by anti's, when you lose the attitude PM me and I will give you some ideas, and some pointers on fur put up.

How do you want me to 'go at it a different way'? Look at my first post on this thread:
Originally Posted By: RuggedExposureI am still a complete greenhorn with trapping yotes and cats. This is my 2nd season now, and my first season trying to handle the pelts for auction. I'm 30+ yotes and 3 bobcats in, and I still haven't a fuzzy idea what I'm doing.

I don't quite understand what the OP was ranting about...

Do you guys mean to say you're not checking your traps everyday? Do the states you trap in not require that?

I have all of mine set to where I can ride my dirt bike in to check them in a timely fashion and do my best to get to them on a daily basis.

I didn't post pictures until you and the other guy jumped to the conclusion that I was an anti-trapper trying to stir the pot on here. I posted the pictures to prove you guys wrong. I'm not sure how I have an 'attitude' when you two are the ones creating drama on here like a couple of school girls. You said you were trapping in the 70's so I imagine you have to be in your 60's. Please start acting your age.

Originally Posted By: CattraxI bet if you were to go at it a different way you could get a lot more help, you really need to realize that pictures and posts off of these sites have been used against trappers in court by anti's, when you lose the attitude PM me and I will give you some ideas, and some pointers on fur put up.

YOur joking Right? You were just accusing him of being an anti trapper and fetching for info, these guys cant win with you, maybe you should head back to Trapperman where you belong, obviously he is trying to learn so back off.

Originally Posted By: EJ Reichenbach

YOur joking Right? You were just accusing him of being an anti trapper and fetching for info, these guys cant win with you, maybe you should head back to Trapperman where you belong, obviously he is trying to learn so back off.

Where I belong, since when did you become the internet police to tell people where they belong?

And someone says he has coyotes ripping their legs off at the shoulder and saying it's because of trap checks? Are you kidding ME?

Looks like I've been here long before you were.

I use to run 30 inches of chain on my traps, no springs, and still never had a coyote tear up its foot unless it was toe caught, but since have went to 6 links off of trap swivel, then another swivel and another 6 links to the end chain swivel, still haven't had one tear up a foot, run 5 dozen MB650s and have never had a toe catch or a tore up foot.

And don't use wire for your cats for sure, and your coyotes would look way better too, also leave more leg fur on the back legs, learn the Nevada stretch and how to use borax on your cats, they look a lot better than you can believe, appearance is huge on getting top prices.

Before and after borax.

That is the nevada stretch, won't bring you anymore money as far as fur, but adds a lot to appearance and like I said, that adds a lot to a fur buyer, but you need to get rid of those wire stretchers, they do you no good, and every cat you put up needs to be 36" minimum from nose to base of tail, some won't make it, but those wire stretchers don't help you get the length you need.

Cattrax is right about your post. imo there is no reason there should be foot damage like you pictured. There is too thin a jaw, steel flexing, no swivels or stop shocks, this is not normal.
PM allows people to take the Lord's name in vain? that sure supprised me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CattraxOriginally Posted By: EJ Reichenbach

Where I belong, since when did you become the internet police to tell people where they belong?

And someone says he has coyotes ripping their legs off at the shoulder and saying it's because of trap checks? Are you kidding ME?

Looks like I've been here long before you were.

I don't care how long you've been on here you haven't supplied a fraction of the information that I have. Just from listening to how long your chain setup is I can tell you don't have a clue about trapping g coyotes. Why on gods green earth would you want all that extra chain so the coyote has that much extra to jerk and build momentum, not to mention more chain means it has a lot better chance of tangling in the trap.

Back