Browning citori Vs. Browning citori

So I have decided to get a Citori for upland hunting and clay shooting. I was going to get a older, no frills plain citori that i've seen around for about800 dollars. I was wondering if there is any quality difference between the base model citori and he higher end ones (besides the nicer look and better wood)

The biggest difference is between the regular and feather versions. The feather versions have an alloy receiver and definitely shave a good bit of weight. That's a good thing for upland where you're going to carry a lot and shoot a little. It's a bad thing for clays where you aren't going to be walking much but shoot a lot. I have a 20ga citori feather...a slip on recoil pad helps while shooting clays but it's just not really a pleasant gun to shoot for clays or doves. It's a great gun, but at around 5.25 lbs it feels like it has more recoil than your average 12ga...not a problem for the occasional quail but I take my Maxus if I'm going to be putting more than a box of shells through it. Other than that, as far as I know there's no difference in quality or function. Older ones might have the invector chokes vs the invector plus, and the newer ones are backbored. Unless you go real old, I think they're all good for steel or non-toxic if you find yourself needing to use it.

Originally Posted By: yotewhisperer223Try a berreta before comittment I shot different ones I now own a onyx which fit me much better
Just my 2 cents
My original choice was going to be a beretta because i like them better and my buddy has a nice one that i shootreal well, but i have not been able to find any beretta's used in my price range

If it doesn't fit you won't shoot to your full potential. I always thought I wanted a Citori - until I shot a few of them. They are slab sided and "tall" feeling to me and I don't shoot them well. Beretta O/U handles like a magic wand to me personally. I have a friend that can't break a bird with a Beretta but is a danged clay busting machine with his Brownings. If you already know the Browning doesn't fit I think it would be a mistake to spend money on a gun that you probably won't be satisfied with and will regret until you get rid of it at some point in the future. I would visit a shotgun club and rent or beg to shoot a round or two with every gun you can lay your hands on. One or two will jump out as naturals to you. Concentrate on them...

I have a pair of Browning 525 Citoris in 12 and 20 gauge. I like the little higher rib and they handle real nice. Plus really nice wood.

I agree, check the fit of any shotgun you might buy. One that
doesn't fit won't be comfortable to shoot, and may not hit
much of what you want to hit. I won a Beretta 686, and sold
it for cash to buy a shotgun that fit me. Berettas do
not, and even with the adjustment shims, I have not gotten
one to the point it consistently points where I want it to
point on a quick mount. YMMV The Browning Citori just
comes up perfectly for me, out of the box. Not the Citori
725s or Cynergy models, which are low profile receivers.
They do not fit me well, but the classic Citori does. I
have 2 White Lightinings, one in 20 ga. and one in 12 ga.

On the topic of different Citori models, there is no
differences in construction and operation, from the basic
Citori, and the higher grades and models. The lightweights
do have aluminum alloy receivers, instead of steel receivers
in the standard weight models. Wood and finish make up
the differences in models and price. Understand we are
only talking the Citori line, the Citori 725 is a different
line of Citoris, with a low profile receiver, and a different
Invector choke system(DS).

Squeeze

Can't beat a citori for a o/u. I have the older upland model and other than being a little heavier than my dads new one, I see no benefits at all. I like the weight of mine as well.

When I was a kid the trap club i hung around at was full of older guys more than willing to let you shoot a round with their guns-got to try lots. Different times. Anyway my favorite o/u s were the Browning superposed (predecsor to the citori)and the Berretas. I read that Ruger is bringing back the red label-also a good one.

I would also suggest to shoot a couple different O/U because when I was growing up at the trap and skeet range I was able to shoot citori,perrazi,winchesters,weatherby's and beretta's. Of all the ones that I shot I will rank then on the ones that shot better for me. Citori then weatherby then winchester the perrazi and finally beretta. The last 3 were full on trap guns that were set up for the shooter and it was probably the reason I could not hit crap with them. But I have shot other winchesters and beretta field guns and they just did not swing right for me. That is why you need to find a place to shoot them.

Personal fit is the most important consideration, but a serious clays gun is tailored for the game you intend to participate in. I would not take any of my over/under sporting guns into the field on a regular basis. They will certainly work for that purpose, but I think the quality Beretta and other semi-autos are a better choice for field use. I often get the opportunity to shoot at flocks of pheasants where the double barrel is at a definite dis-advantage. The occasional triple or more is quite a thrill here in South Dakota.

I have a lot of experience with Browning and Beretta O/U in the field and on the clays ranges. I am a big guy and the Brownings fit me better than the Berettas, but your going to have to find what feels the best to you.

On the clays ranges, the Brownings are smoother and more effortless to use. I maintain 26 Berettas O/Us for a local hunting lodge. These are 686 Silver Piegons, Onyx Pro, and Onyx. These are nice guns, but they seem have more maintenance issues than the Brownings in my experience. I am a mechanical engineer and an amateur gunsmith or sorts, so I take more than a casual interest in gun designs. I won't get into why I prefer the Browning design over the Beretta, since I don't want to debate the finer points. I would be happy with either gun. Keep in mind I am primarily referring to field and sporting models in the under $2500.00 range. I think good used O/U is going to be your best buy considering current pricing.

The older Citoris with Invector Plus chokes and back-bored barrels are more desirable. The newer models are nice, but there is little practical difference for field use.

I was the opposite of some on this thread. I went in thinking I was going to buy a Beretta and came out with a Citori. The fit and feel was just there with the Browning for me. I wanted a Beretta, or so I thought, but I picked up a 625 Superlight in 20 gauge and couldn't put it down.

I feel also like the value is there as I stepped up at least 1 and maybe two grades in the Browning over what the same Beretta would have gone for. So for the money spent, I got a very nice shotgun with beautiful wood.

Took it pheasant hunting on opening day and shot the first two roosters we flushed with two shots. It's a keeper!

If you think you want a standard Citori, do NOT pick up a lightweight version. It'll spoil the whole deal and all you'll think about is the light model from then on. It is just such a joy to walk and walk and walk with a gun that almost floats away it's so light. Yes, yes, obviously there is a tradeoff, we all know that, but just as obvious is the fact that to most hunters this matters almost not at all because it is rare to fire enough rounds that it matters.

Not taking anything away from Beretta, they are a fine gun and I own a Beretta auto. The Browning just had that feel-good factor for me.

Grouse

I have to agree with Famous Grouse about the lightweight 20 citoris. I bought one for a retirment gift for a MUCH respected boss years ago and it was beautiful handling.

Back