Cat trappin'

I hate the crowds every year there is more and more people its getting harder and harder to get permission to hunt. There are tire tracks everywhere the animals get smarter and smarter calling tournys are every weekend.I hate 5 years ago there was no one and now there are people all over. people pay farmers to sew up land for tournys.

Originally Posted By: RuggedExposureCould it be because I'm using Duke traps without lamination?
No because I use a lot of 4 coiled dukes without laminations and I don't have that happen

Originally Posted By: phutch30Rugged- Could you describe the trap setup your using i.e size staking system etc

Typically I use a dirt hole set, double staked with double swivels. Duke 1-3/4 4 coil or Minnesota brand traps. It's not uncommon for my coyotes to yank so much they cut through their wrists and are only hanging on by tendons or the bone.

LOL Enough Rugged. There is NO WAY thats happening, no way! I hate to call you out, but this is stupid. Unless you sharpened you jaws, it just never happens. Ive never seen it in 30 years and I asked several other trappers about this who catch LOTS of canines and they have never seen it. Ive never even seen it with incidental fox in large traps.

Some foot damage can occur on occasion, but with a trap like your describing no way and regular checks. Sorry no way.

Find me one other trapper that has this happen or ever had it happen an I'll admit Im wrong.

My guess is your not a trapper and your making this up for some a-hole reason, either way you need to stop.

Last edited:
Rugged I have to wonder if you are trying to fish for comments because you are an anti trapper, I've trapped since the later 70's and caught a lot of coyotes, and cats, and the only time I ever seen a coyote pull out on its own was because of a toe catch, that can happen in 2 hours or 3 days, if you are losing them from the shoulder down you are either trying to start something, or you have something or someone, messing with your catches, going to have to say BS to them doing it on their own!

You guys are funny. I just got done brushing these for the auction in Globe, AZ tomorrow:
20140214_140854_zpsd07c3bff.jpg

That's my dog on the end.

I trapped this big guy in January, and he hadn't been in the trap for more than 12 hours:
20140112_091443_zps7962e41f.jpg

See how much he yanked and dug in 12 hours? You don't think he could tear his leg up in 36?

Here's a few dogs from last year:
dog3_zps798e1b48.jpg

dog2_zpsbae68180.jpg

Javelina from 2012:
556052_2506189712397_1684231148_n_zpse71ea86a.jpg

I think it's safe to say I'm not on here trying to irritate people or cause problems. In fact, I'm going to go takes pics of some coyotes that I've had tear up their legs, be back in a few.

OK, here is a coyote from last week. He could not have been in the trap for more than 36 hours.
You can see he managed to break the bone in his leg and was only left hanging by a tendon in the trap. This was a Duke 1 3/4 4 coil.
20140214_150551_zps7e5c06e0.jpg

Here is the style of Duke trap I am using, and with a box swivel. Am I doing something wrong with the way the swivel is attached?
wax_zpscb70e022.jpg

On March 3rd last year I had presumably a coyote open up the eyelet of this hook and run off with the trap:
2013-03-03_11-27-05_482_zps6b2d189d-1.jpg

I actually found the trap today laying in a different pasture to the north
20140214_150349_zps73586e04.jpg

Same exact trap I lost last year, and it has clotted up blood and fur in the jaws:
20140214_150405_zps59d97f13.jpg

What say you guys now?

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. Finally a reasonable answer.

Does anyone else use inline springs? Or have pictures of how they run these in conjunction with box swivels?

Could it be climate? I imagine most of you guys are trapping in real winter conditions with cold temperatures. It's only dropped below freezing a few days so far this winter, and today it's 78* F.
Is it possible that the cold coyotes spend more time curled up in the trap conserving energy while these southern dogs are constantly pulling?

Last edited:
Rugged does this happen with the mb traps?

Here is what I would do to the dukes cuz I did have a few beat up feat with some #3 four coiled, I would add an extra swivel and shorten the chain to 1 link of chain between the swivels, I use earth anchors I would highly recommend them, next I would take a file and round off the jaws so there not so sharp, I would try a few with only 2 coils and see how it does, if it continues you will need to laminate the jaws.

Thanks for the ideas. Yes the dogs tear up their feet just as bad with the MB traps, and they are outside laminated.

What do you mean by the cats being too wide? Should I not use wire stretchers?

Why is it not desirable for the pelt to be wide? Does it make the belly fur look smaller?

Also how would a 2 coil trap help with the coyotes destroying their feet? I thought the only difference between a 2 and 4 coil was the amount of force generated closing the trap (quicker).
Are earth anchors hard to drive into the soil in rocky terrain?

The fur buyers love it when you stretch too wide, I shoot for around 9.5 or 10 wide that's from outside of fur not the stretchers, that's the accual fur. Cats are measured from nose to base of tail or whatever the shortest point is, that's why it is very important to get the area at the base of the tail even all the way across, cuz the furbuyer will measure the shortest spot. The difference between a 41 inch cat and a 38 can be $100 on a good cat

A 4 coiled trap holds 2 times stronger than a 2 coil. Idk you must have coyotes that are on crack or something. I would definetly go to a short chain and 3 swivels. With a long chain they have all that play to really jerk around.

Ahhhh... I understand what you are saying now. Originally I thought you meant the buyers would penalize me for having them too wide. Next season I'll use wooden stretchers for the cats.

You may be on to something with the long chain. I double swiveled the chains that came with the traps and did not remove any links. Maybe the extra 3" is giving them enough room to create extra force?

Thank you EJ for being a lot of help on here. Too bad people like Phutch30 and Cattrax can't contribute in a positive manner and give trappers a bad name.
thumbdown.gif

Back