Stocks that fit.

devildogg

I ordered a stock from stockys stocks and it was a hs precision pss045 mountain ranger. It came on Monday and I tried it out and this thing is just way to small for me my hand just completely swallowed up the grip my pinky would hang over the pistol grip. I called them and talked to them and they said I could send it back so I did and ordered another hs precision which is a pss003 and it should be here by Monday. When I was at my gunsmiths he had a rifle with a McMillan htg M40a1 stock on it and it felt pretty comfortable does anyone have any experience with these two stock the pss003 or the htg? When I did some web surfing I found the a lot of people said the htg was too low for them and had to put risers on their stocks to get good eye alignment is this because they are using a 50mm objective or they are putting on a one piece base and then rings on top of that and their scope is to high or is the stock built with to low of a comb? When I talked to stockys they said I could return any of the stocks within 10 days so if I don't like this hs I'm thinking about the htg. Some one help me out.

HTG's are great... Love mine... I have a 50mm leupold on it and its fine with standard weaver bases but with 20moa base you have to use low rings to get a proper cheek weld but I went with standard weaver bases and medium rings... perfect cheek weld and a more access to the action when loading...

Last edited:
Quote:Dont know how to post pics......There is a thread with full instructions on the site..It's the fourth topic in the Photo Gallery...It's easy and after you do a couple, it becomes second nature...

Sorry bud its the only pic I have right now... The action is out getting threaded right now...

094_zpsd060f9d6.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you dr death its hard to decide what a guy wants and what will work for a guys needs If you cant hold it and shoulder it for a while and use it in a couple of hunting situations. There are so many different options I just want something that will shoulder well fit perfect be fast handling work in the prone as well as off shooting sticks and mainly in the off hand position and shooting moving targets.

Originally Posted By: devildoggThank you dr death its hard to decide what a guy wants and what will work for a guys needs If you cant hold it and shoulder it for a while and use it in a couple of hunting situations. There are so many different options I just want something that will shoulder well fit perfect be fast handling work in the prone as well as off shooting sticks and mainly in the off hand position and shooting moving targets.

That is a TALL order for a single stock. Most like a 13 1/2" length of pull which for some reason is a factory standard. At 5'10" I like a 12.5 to 12.75" length of pull. I seldom hunt in a t-shirt and hunting cloths can add a 1/2" or more to the shoulder area which lessens the length of pull. I don't have a Giraffe neck either and that makes a difference. Add to all of that: how do you mount your stock with your cheek and you can see all of the variables that come into play.
From a prone or sitting (off sticks) position a shorter length of pull works better for me as I don't lean into the stock.

When I set my rifle/scope up I do it by first closing my eyes, shouldering the stock, placing my cheek on the stock where everything feels real comfortable, then I open my eyes and I should be looking dead center through the scope with a full picture. If not, then I adjust the scope or scope rings until I do. On factory length of pulls I can't get a 4" eye relief scope back far enough to accomplish this so I start shortening the stock until it does. But keep in mind that I don't use Hubble Telescopes on my rifles. 2.5-8 is as big as I go so that makes a difference also.
So see, lots of variables for us hunters to keep in mind.
ohmy.gif

I've used the HTG stock a fair amount, and really like it for its intended purposes. The USMC used it for many years on their M40A1 sniper rifle, and IIRC, never managed to break a single stock! You know is durable when a Marine can't break it!

Have you heard the joke about the Marine that they locked in an otherwise empty room with two steel ball bearings? They returned an hour later to find that one ball bearing was missing, and the other was broken! (No disrespect intended to our Marine members!)

Back